Most terrible speed limits.

Started by Roadgeekteen, June 01, 2017, 11:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

What speed limits make you think that the dots were drunk when coming up with the speed limit? I am not talking about the, this could be slightly lower/higher, this is the what the f**k were they thinking, this should way higher/lower.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

A lot of the speed limits in Florida are absurd.  It isn't so much the maximum speed limits but rather the fact you get things like "55 MPH ahead" or "45 MPH ahead" at minor intersections on expressways like US 98 out in the middle of nowhere.  Neighboring states like Alabama just throw out an advisory speed if anything at all.  Really all it accomplishes is bogging down traffic and encouraging a slow driving populace. 

Roadsguy

Pretty much anything in Pennsylvania that's still 65 and not 70. Also, speed limits on surface expressways in PA are never more than 55, but US 15 from York Springs to south of Dillsburg could probably be 65, or at least 60.

Also, not every expressway that comes anywhere near a city needs to step down to 55...
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Roadsguy

Quote from: webny99 on June 01, 2017, 11:30:18 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on June 01, 2017, 11:27:50 PM
Also, not every expressway that comes anywhere near a city needs to step down to 55...

*cough* I-90, Erie PA (which could be 75 no problem :pan:)

There are a few roads in PA that could be 75: I-78 from 81 to Hamburg (possibly requiring minor ramp improvements), the Northeast Extension south of the Lehigh Tunnel, and the Turnpike from Mid-County to Bensalem and from Blue Mountain to Gettysburg.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

jp the roadgeek

I-84 in CT from Exits 25A-33 (unlit from 30-33) and 35-39A.  Still 55 MPH and the stretch from 36-39 is 6 lanes and straight as an arrow.

The LIE east of Exit 40, and especially east of Exit 65.  55 MPH.  Totally desolate east of Exit 65.

US 7 north of I-84 in Danbury.  Still 55 despite being quite barren.

CT 25 Expressway north of the CT 8 split is 55 MPH despite being similar to portions of CT 2 and CT 9 that are 65 MPH.

Many roads in my town: 25 MPH even though they are main thoroughfares not in a neighborhood or in a school zone; one is even a state road (CT 364). 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Great Lakes Roads

Most terrible speed limits? Probably the Illinois Tollway system around Chicagoland. Speed limit is 55-60 but everyone goes 75-85 or even 90 mph...

Or how about Indiana's lower speed limits on interstates through major metro areas such as Indianapolis or Chicagoland... Speed limit is 55 but everyone goes 60-65 or even 70 mph...

jwolfer

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 01, 2017, 11:23:13 PM
A lot of the speed limits in Florida are absurd.  It isn't so much the maximum speed limits but rather the fact you get things like "55 MPH ahead" or "45 MPH ahead" at minor intersections on expressways like US 98 out in the middle of nowhere.  Neighboring states like Alabama just throw out an advisory speed if anything at all.  Really all it accomplishes is bogging down traffic and encouraging a slow driving populace.
I agree.

US301 in western Duval County has a speed limit of 60 not 65 like in neighboring Clay County.. The level of development is similar

I can understand reduced speed near Maxville and the junction of SR/CR 228.

I thought perhaps its because it is within Jacksonville city limits?

LGMS428

CNGL-Leudimin

Any freeway with a speed limit slower than 75 mph without a good reason is too slow for me.

N.b.: the original quote said "motorway" and "120 km/h".
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

US 89

I-80 through Park City has a 65mph speed limit, but the same road on the other side of the mountains has a 70mph limit. It wouldn't be so bad if the Park City police weren't always watching.

plain

VA 168 Chesapeake Expwy in SE Virginia has a 55 MPH speed limit when it should be 70
Newark born, Richmond bred

jakeroot

In terms of speed limit versus observed speed of traffic, there's several in my area that immediately spring to mind:

1) Marine Way/Drive in Vancouver, BC. Made famous by the "Speed Kills Your Pocketbook" video. Speed limit 50 km/h (31 mph). Most everyone goes 70 to 80.

2) Maltby Road/212 St outside Bothell, WA. Speed limit 35. It's a rural road, at best. Everyone goes 50-55 in my experience.

3) Lake Hills Connector, SE of Bellevue, WA. Speed limit 40. At worst, it's an expressway with a gigantic median. Most drivers seem to average 55-60.

SectorZ

US 3 from I-95 to the NH border. That it's still 55 after going from a glorified parkway to a completely interstate quality highway is baffling.

US 81

The ubiquitous (in Texas at least) country lane signed 35-40mph is STILL signed 35-40 mph after being upgraded to divided four-lane.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: SectorZ on June 02, 2017, 01:50:26 PM
US 3 from I-95 to the NH border. That it's still 55 after going from a glorified parkway to a completely interstate quality highway is baffling.

Also baffling why I-93 drops from 65 to 55 crossing from MA into NH.  No change in road congestion.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hotdogPi

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 02, 2017, 02:08:20 PM

Also baffling why I-93 drops from 65 to 55 crossing from MA into NH.  No change in road congestion.

The electronic sign on I-93 in New Hampshire sometimes says 65, and sometimes it says 55. I haven't figured out the conditions that determine whether it's 55 or 65.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

PHLBOS

That's a bit ironic since NH went back to 65 mph years before MA did.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hbelkins

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 01, 2017, 11:15:31 PM
What speed limits make you think that the dots were drunk when coming up with the speed limit? I am not talking about the, this could be slightly lower/higher, this is the what the f**k were they thinking, this should way higher/lower.

Most all of them.

But I will admit to not being a fan of the 60 mph limit on the WV Turnpike between the Cabin Creek and Mossy toll booths.

Most of the 55 mph speed limits in metro areas are set not for purposes of "safety" but instead have to do with emissions regulations.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

csw

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on June 02, 2017, 01:27:47 AMOr how about Indiana's lower speed limits on interstates through major metro areas such as Indianapolis or Chicagoland... Speed limit is 55 but everyone goes 60-65 or even 70 mph...

Can confirm. Got pulled over doing 65 in a 55 on I-70 in downtown Indy, where people regularly go 75-80 in the left lane. First offense? $200+ ticket.

It always bothers me when tiny little towns along 2-lane state or US highways post town limits of 30 or 35 mph. Slowing me down that much is not going to make me remember your town any more.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jwolfer on June 02, 2017, 02:04:56 AM
I agree.

US301 in western Duval County has a speed limit of 60 not 65 like in neighboring Clay County.. The level of development is similar

LGMS428

Weren't a couple of those "reduced speed zones" found to be in annexed parcels by local towns to grab speeding tickets south of Jacksonville on US 301?

bugo

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on June 02, 2017, 04:14:30 AM
Any freeway with a speed limit slower than 75 mph without a good reason is too slow for me.

+1

jwolfer

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 02, 2017, 06:27:14 PM
I agree.

LGMS428

Weren't a couple of those "reduced speed zones" found to be in annexed parcels by local towns to grab speeding tickets south of Jacksonville on US 301?
301 goes through the towns of Lawtey, Starke(for now) and Waldo.. Waldo police department was disbanded several years ago...  Hampton is a couple miles east of 301they extended city limits to annex a convenice store on 301, to cash in on tickets at the intersection with CR18

LGMS428

wxfree

This situation is different, but it's an example of a speed limit that's challenging to follow.  At the south end of I-35, going northbound the speed limit increases to 50 as traffic moves onto the freeway.  A short distance later, the speed limit increases to 65, with a minimum speed of 50.  In order to comply with the law, you must go by the sign at exactly 50 mph, otherwise you'd be going either too slow or too fast on one side of it.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on June 02, 2017, 02:10:07 PM

The electronic sign on I-93 in New Hampshire sometimes says 65, and sometimes it says 55. I haven't figured out the conditions that determine whether it's 55 or 65.

I was wondering if it was construction, but there isn't any until a mile north of exit 3. So, it could at least be 65 to there and then drop where it's down to 2 lanes and an active work site. It appears to be a crap-shoot as to what the limit will be when you enter into the state. The rebuilding 93 page has no info I could find about this, either.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jwolfer on June 02, 2017, 06:40:06 PM
I agree.

LGMS428

301 goes through the towns of Lawtey, Starke(for now) and Waldo.. Waldo police department was disbanded several years ago...  Hampton is a couple miles east of 301they extended city limits to annex a convenice store on 301, to cash in on tickets at the intersection with CR18

LGMS428

Didn't Hampton have to get rid of said annexation and dissolve the police force or face getting the city charter revoked?

jwolfer

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 02, 2017, 11:01:55 PM
Quote from: jwolfer on June 02, 2017, 06:40:06 PM
I agree.

LGMS428

LGMS428

Didn't Hampton have to get rid of said annexation and dissolve the police force or face getting the city charter revoked?
Yes.

LGMS428

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.