least important east to west interstate ending in zero that is not I-30?

Started by Roadgeekteen, June 02, 2017, 02:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

That exists!
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

silverback1065

hotdogPi

"Least important" and "major" are contradictory.

If you mean "Of I-10, I-20, I-40, I-70, I-80, and I-90, which is least important?", I would probably say I-20.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

US 41

Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

pumpkineater2

Come ride with me to the distant shore...

CNGL-Leudimin

Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jp the roadgeek

Current: I-790 or I-990 in NY
Former: I-170 in MD
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Bickendan

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

bugo

How is I-30 not important? It's the main route from Texas to the northeast. It might not be very long but that doesn't mean that it's not important.

ilpt4u

Quote from: bugo on June 02, 2017, 06:34:56 PM
How is I-30 not important? It's the main route from Texas to the northeast. It might not be very long but that doesn't mean that it's not important.
Will be even moreso, if/when the I-57 corridor makes it from Sikeston to Walnut Ridge and then Little Rock, since I-30 and I-57 combined will essentially be a Dallas-Chicago SW-NE Diagonal Corridor

jp the roadgeek

I-30 is short (367 miles, while the others "0" interstates that exist are at least 1500 miles in length), and it serves a limited area (2 states).  The others are either coast to coast or pass from within 750 miles of the west coast to within 100 miles of the east coast.  It's basically what I-45 is to the other "5" interstates
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

csw

I-80 is pretty unimportant.

Think about it: it passes through Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, and Iowa. How many people live in those places? Not very many. It's concurrent through Indiana and Ohio for almost 300 miles, so that's unnecessary, then goes through rural Pennsylvania; again, no one lives there. Then it ends in quite possibly the least important city on the planet, New York.

Case closed. :spin:

sparker

Quote from: csw on June 02, 2017, 08:48:52 PM

Think about it: it passes through Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, and Iowa. How many people live in those places? Not very many. It's concurrent through Indiana and Ohio for almost 300 miles, so that's unnecessary, then goes through rural Pennsylvania; again, no one lives there. Then it ends in quite possibly the least important city on the planet, New York.

It takes one to San Francisco, once & future home of the Warriors (yay), site of arguably the best Chinese cuisine in the Western Hemisphere (pretty much all sub-varieties of this can be found there!), and where some of the best music from the late 60's originated and was recorded.  I-80 is quite important, even if farther east it doesn't pass through a lot of "destination" cities, so to speak (skirting Chicago to the south as it does) and doesn't quite make it to NY, dying an ignominious death at not even the NJT, but a northern extension thereof!  But it connects to essentially everything else in the northern half of the country and likely serves, in terms of its segments, to disperse traffic to everything except the far southern tier.  In terms of AADT, no segment of I-80 features as sparse traffic as I-90 in central SD (too many other routes feed into it!). 

I could go on -- but the premise of the thread is itself a bit bizarre; I-30's where it is because under the original plan (the 40-41K plan eventually adopted, not the more thorough 48.3K plan discussed in another thread) there was really no other place to put it unless a full renumbering of the E-W "majors", resulting in no through Northern Tier routes, was instituted.  The numbering problems begin with (a) the Great Lakes (b) the codicil that all but forbade duplication of US and Interstate numbers within a particular state, and (c) the fact that the U.S. West Coast is quite a bit farther north than the East Coast in terms of pure latitude.  IMO, I-10 shouldn't have been coast-to-coast -- and neither should have been I-90 (like their US counterparts).  That forced "squeezing" all the other E-W routes into areas that varied in terms of N-S axis as one moved east or west across the country.  And politicians from various cities & states whined whenever their area wasn't served by a "major" (-5, -0) route, leading to the original smorgasbord of suffixes.  The folks who came up with the numbering system circa 1957-58 attempted to do too much and please too many parties with what they were given (the detritus of this can primarily be seen in the upper Midwest). 

Oh well, 60 years later we're all still bitching about this or that designation -- at least it gives us something to talk about!  I don't think anyone will ever be completely satisfied with the Interstate network -- whether you consider the system to be a fait accompli or something "organic" that can and will evolve as the need arises -- or, more accurately, is perceived by any number of actors in the arena!     

silverback1065

Quote from: sparker on June 02, 2017, 10:39:30 PM

It takes one to San Francisco, once & future home of the Warriors (yay), site of arguably the best Chinese cuisine in the Western Hemisphere (pretty much all sub-varieties of this can be found there!), and where some of the best music from the late 60's originated and was recorded.  I-80 is quite important, even if farther east it doesn't pass through a lot of "destination" cities, so to speak (skirting Chicago to the south as it does) and doesn't quite make it to NY, dying an ignominious death at not even the NJT, but a northern extension thereof!  But it connects to essentially everything else in the northern half of the country and likely serves, in terms of its segments, to disperse traffic to everything except the far southern tier.  In terms of AADT, no segment of I-80 features as sparse traffic as I-90 in central SD (too many other routes feed into it!). 

I could go on -- but the premise of the thread is itself a bit bizarre; I-30's where it is because under the original plan (the 40-41K plan eventually adopted, not the more thorough 48.3K plan discussed in another thread) there was really no other place to put it unless a full renumbering of the E-W "majors", resulting in no through Northern Tier routes, was instituted.  The numbering problems begin with (a) the Great Lakes (b) the codicil that all but forbade duplication of US and Interstate numbers within a particular state, and (c) the fact that the U.S. West Coast is quite a bit farther north than the East Coast in terms of pure latitude.  IMO, I-10 shouldn't have been coast-to-coast -- and neither should have been I-90 (like their US counterparts).  That forced "squeezing" all the other E-W routes into areas that varied in terms of N-S axis as one moved east or west across the country.  And politicians from various cities & states whined whenever their area wasn't served by a "major" (-5, -0) route, leading to the original smorgasbord of suffixes.  The folks who came up with the numbering system circa 1957-58 attempted to do too much and please too many parties with what they were given (the detritus of this can primarily be seen in the upper Midwest). 

Oh well, 60 years later we're all still bitching about this or that designation -- at least it gives us something to talk about!  I don't think anyone will ever be completely satisfied with the Interstate network -- whether you consider the system to be a fait accompli or something "organic" that can and will evolve as the need arises -- or, more accurately, is perceived by any number of actors in the arena!   

pretty sure he was just trolling you there  :-D

sparker

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 02, 2017, 11:07:17 PM

pretty sure he was just trolling you there  :-D

More to the point, he was trolling the OP!  I just chimed in to (a) attempt to de-troll the thread and (b) try to make a point that the original premise of "major" and "minor" Interstates is a bit overemphasized -- and that the way the original system was configured functionally made a mockery of the notion of ranking Interstates by their quintile divisibility. :-P 

1995hoo

To be fair to the OP, "least important" is not the same as "not important."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

briantroutman

Revive 755

Think about it: it passes through Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, and Iowa. How many people live in those places? Not very many.

The residents of the Salt Lake City metro, Omaha - Council Bluffs metro (~900,000 per Google) and Des Moines metro (~600,000 per Google) would disagree with you.  Plus it serves the Iowa City - Cedar Rapids area and Lincoln, Nebraska areas, both of which are growing at a decent rate, and provide another access to the Denver area via I-76.

For at least west of Chicagoland, I think a better case could be made for I-90 than I-80 given - off the top of my head without checking the numbers - the lack of population served between Spokane and eastern Minnesota.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Henry

Quote from: roadguy2 on June 03, 2017, 11:40:34 PM
I-20, simply because it doesn't go west of Texas.
And also because the only major cities it serves are Dallas-Ft. Worth and Atlanta.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

RG407

I-20, although Columbia, Atlanta, Birmingham, Jackson, Dallas and Fort Worth might beg to differ.

US 89

I would say, in order of importance:

I-80
I-40
I-10
I-70
I-90
I-20
I-30

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.