News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

2-Lane Toll Roads?

Started by fillup420, June 17, 2017, 01:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJBers

CT 2A would've been a good example of this, but there hasn't been any tolls since the 80s
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

froggie

Quote from: amroad17Skyline Drive.  Even though it is in a National Park, you have to pay to use it.

As noted upthread, you're paying a park use fee, not a road fee, so this doesn't really apply in the normal toll road sense.

hotdogPi

I've mentioned this twice before over the years, but there is a road literally called "Toll Road" in Salisbury, MA. It is two lanes. (The road does not have a toll; it leads to tolled I-95 in New Hampshire, but there is a free exit first.)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

DevalDragon

wxfree

Quote from: DevalDragon on July 02, 2017, 06:16:53 PM
How about the Caminio Colombia in South Texas?

https://www.txtag.org/en/about/tollroad_colombia.shtml
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_State_Highway_255

This is a valid example.  I should have thought of that one.  However, there's now an explanation necessary.  The tolls have been suspended until the end of the month due to repairs on a Laredo bridge, and the legislature passed a bill that prohibits charging tolls for this road beginning Sept. 1.  This means that tolls will no longer be charged for use of this road except during the month of August this year.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

RobbieL2415

The Beasley's Point Bridge.  And it was a private bridge.  :bigass:

Roadgeekteen

Park loop road in Acadia. Counts because you can access the park without paying.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

NE2

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on July 02, 2017, 09:08:50 PM
The Beasley's Point Bridge.  And it was a private bridge.  :bigass:
Shitloads of two-lane bridges. Yawn.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

Quote from: thenetwork on July 01, 2017, 11:31:51 PM
Quote from: NE2 on July 01, 2017, 09:49:45 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on July 01, 2017, 09:46:42 PM
Up at Cedar Point, Sandusky Ohio, if one was to use the CP Causeway to access the Cedar Point Road (the pre-causeway way to CP and the back way into the park from US-6) or vice versa, a small toll is charged.
But that's four lanes.

You're either going from a 2-lane to a 4-lane road or from a 4-lane to a 2-lane.  The booth to pay a toll only to go between the two roads is also on a 2 lane stretch.of road.

Actually, the booth is at the entry to the parking lot for most people except those going to the hotels.  Yes, north of there, it is a two-lane road, but the toll is for the use of the four-lane causeway, at the north end of said four-lane causeway.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Duke87

How broadly versus granularly do we define "toll road"? The Spaulding Turnpike in New Hampshire is only two lanes north of exit 16. However, the only toll collection is at a pair of barriers - one between exits 6 and 7, the other between exits 9 and 11. So broadly speaking it's a toll road with a two lane portion. But, there are no tolls collected directly on the two lane portion, so you could also look at it as a mostly free road with two tolled segments, both of which are four lanes.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

roadgeek01

Quote from: cl94 on June 17, 2017, 01:42:18 PM
What are we defining as a "toll road"? If we're including roads to the tops of mountains, NY 431 in Wilmington and NY 917A in Lake George count. Both are technically state-maintained.
On that note, The Mount Washington Auto Road up Mount Washington in New Hampshire.
pork bork my hork

idk what it means either

US 89

Quote from: roadgeek01 on July 03, 2017, 08:09:55 PM
Quote from: cl94 on June 17, 2017, 01:42:18 PM
What are we defining as a "toll road"? If we're including roads to the tops of mountains, NY 431 in Wilmington and NY 917A in Lake George count. Both are technically state-maintained.
On that note, The Mount Washington Auto Road up Mount Washington in New Hampshire.
And the Pikes Peak Highway in Colorado.

froggie

The Mount Washington Auto Road is on par with the National Park roads and so goes back to that debate...is it a road fee?  Or a park user fee?  In the case of Mount Washington, I'd consider it a latter as it's effectively a park fee for Mount Washington State Park (yes, the auto road and the mountain are a state park).

Beltway

Quote from: froggie on July 06, 2017, 08:51:23 PM
The Mount Washington Auto Road is on par with the National Park roads and so goes back to that debate...is it a road fee?  Or a park user fee?  In the case of Mount Washington, I'd consider it a latter as it's effectively a park fee for Mount Washington State Park (yes, the auto road and the mountain are a state park).

Or perhaps park fee and/or toll road?

Lots of people use Skyline Drive for the drive itself, and maybe lunch at Big Meadows or Skyland.  Easy to do in a day trip if you live in the D.C. or Richmond area.

There are also cabins and lodges for extended stays.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

wxfree

I proposed two considerations on this matter:

Is your primary purpose, and what you're paying for, use of the road or access to the park?  If the road is just up and down a mountain then your use of the road is only incidental to accessing the park.  If the road doesn't go anywhere other than the park and leaves you back where you started, then the only purpose of the road is access to the park.  Other than that purpose, it isn't worth paying for.  If it's a through road and your primary purpose is to get to the other side, then maybe it's an extra scenic toll road.

Do you pay for each use of the road or do you get a permit that's good for a period of time?  While some toll roads sell multi-use passes, most charge per use.  If you get a seven-day permit that allows you to use the road as much as you want, I'd call it an entrance fee.  If you pay each for each use and use the road to get somewhere on the other side of the park, it's more likely to qualify as a road toll.  Of course, all various types of combinations are possible.  If you're driving across a beautiful park to get somewhere it's reasonable to stop or maybe even take a side trip and enjoy the scenery.  Whether it's a park fee or road fee can be different at different times, or it can be a combination of both.

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1 on July 02, 2017, 10:06:29 AM
I've mentioned this twice before over the years, but there is a road literally called "Toll Road" in Salisbury, MA. It is two lanes. (The road does not have a toll; it leads to tolled I-95 in New Hampshire, but there is a free exit first.)
While looking through historic topo maps (no aerial maps were available between 1938 & 1962), Toll Road was the Massachusetts connector to the southern terminus of the New Hampshire Turnpike prior to the mid-50s completion of I-95 in that area. 

Side bar: the NH 107 interchange w/I-95 (Exit 1, the last exit prior to the NH Turnpike toll plaza) wasn't built until the late 60s.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Chris

The Norwegian road system has many toll tunnels and bridges that are only two lanes. Congestion charges generally also apply to two-lane roads or any surface streets, though you could argue it is a general tax and not a toll to fund the road you're using.

Japan has a lot of tolled super two expressways. Many national roads in South America are tolled, most of them are two-lane roads. This is common in countries like Ecuador or Paraguay. Ecuador has significantly improved the condition of its main roads by charging tolls to fund reconstruction. China also charges tolls on many non-expressways (the 'G' national trunk road network). China has in fact the largest network of toll roads in the world at some 100,000 miles, about a third of that are non-expressways.

Russia has a distance-based truck toll called 'Platon' that applies to most federal roads, many of those are two-lane roads. The German truck toll has also been expanded two non-Autobahn federal roads / Bundesstraßen in recent years.

Roadgeekteen

There are one lane toll roads. Gravel roads take a toll on your car.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JJBers

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 09, 2017, 10:01:49 PM
Except if you driving a 4x4, or any off-road vehicle.

Yes I know it's a joke.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

wxfree

Quote from: wxfree on July 02, 2017, 07:58:00 PM
Quote from: DevalDragon on July 02, 2017, 06:16:53 PM
How about the Caminio Colombia in South Texas?

https://www.txtag.org/en/about/tollroad_colombia.shtml
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_State_Highway_255

This is a valid example.  I should have thought of that one.  However, there's now an explanation necessary.  The tolls have been suspended until the end of the month due to repairs on a Laredo bridge, and the legislature passed a bill that prohibits charging tolls for this road beginning Sept. 1.  This means that tolls will no longer be charged for use of this road except during the month of August this year.

The Texas Transportation Commission has adopted a minute order removing the toll project designation.  The tolls were already suspended until the end of the month, and become illegal in September.  The minute order makes no mention of an effective date (its own effective date) so presumably is effective immediately meaning that tolls will no longer be charged, and this example is no longer valid.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JJBers on July 09, 2017, 10:03:45 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 09, 2017, 10:01:49 PM
Except if you driving a 4x4, or any off-road vehicle.

Yes I know it's a joke.

Really dirt and gravel is only a problem if it is poorly maintained.  Ruts, pot holes, dips, and wash boarding generally the biggest problem on non-asphalt surfaces.  Usually all that it really takes even a car is just to drive more slowly, especially with wash boarding.  There are plenty of one-lane road examples that I can think of in the National Park system that might fall under the broader definition of a "toll" road.  Now I would be interested to see if there are any true dirt/gravel roadways that are still used as toll routes, they used to be very common before modern highways.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.