News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Purple No Trespassing signs, tree & post markings

Started by Brian556, June 29, 2017, 12:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

A while back, purple No Trespassing signs were installed in the railroad ROW at one crossing in my area.
Today, on Facebook, I saw that Tennessee had a new law that says that purple markings on trees or posts mean No Trespassing, and are as legally binding as signs.

I Google search indicated that Texas already had such a law, but did not tell anybody about it

wxfree

It's relatively unknown.  I learned of it a few years ago, and it was news to the rural people I know.  Here's what Texas law says:

A person commits an offense if he enters or remains on or in property... without effective consent... and he...  had notice that the entry was forbidden... "Notice" means... the placement of identifying purple paint marks on trees or posts on the property, provided that the marks are... vertical lines of not less than eight inches in length and not less than one inch in width...  placed so that the bottom of the mark is not less than three feet from the ground or more than five feet from the ground;  and...  placed at locations that are readily visible to any person approaching the property and no more than... 100 feet apart on forest land;  or... 1,000 feet apart on land other.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

txstateends

https://goo.gl/maps/9xAE43DU6V62

A KCS/DGNO line I've seen has almost countless purple no-trespassing signs.  It's the only purple example I've heard about.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Brian556

Quote from txstateends:
QuoteA KCS/DGNO line I've seen has almost countless purple no-trespassing signs.  It's the only purple example I've heard about.

Given the graffiti on the signs, I'm guessing that train vandalism is a big problem there. Must be a dumpy neighborhood

cjk374

This is what the KCS uses:

20170630_062451 by Jess Kilgore, on Flickr

I'm sure purple was chosen as a "railroad neutral" color. Red, yellow, green & blue all have special meanings to the populace of the railroad earth (myself included). The UP uses purple targets with a big white "D" to denote derailers.

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on July 01, 2017, 07:10:23 PM
This is what the KCS uses:

20170630_062451 by Jess Kilgore, on Flickr

I'm sure purple was chosen as a "railroad neutral" color. Red, yellow, green & blue all have special meanings to the populace of the railroad earth (myself included). The UP uses purple targets with a big white "D" to denote derailers.

That photo looks familiar ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.