News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Canada Day 1867-2017: 150 years

Started by hotdogPi, July 01, 2017, 01:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

From what I understand, today is Canada Day, the sesquicentennial of Canada's independence. For the Canadians here, are you celebrating in any special way? For the non-Canadians here, did you know about this before I mentioned it?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

jp the roadgeek

Yeah.  There was a nice ceremony before the Sox/Blue Jays game with 3 Canadian military heroes, including a WWII vet.  Sadly, not to many of them left (all have passed away in my family, including a great uncle who was killed in action). 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Desert Man

HAPPY B-DAY/JOYEUX ANNIVERSAIRE, CANADA! I heard much about your country since in the winter months Canadian seasonal residents come down to spend some time in the Palm Springs area. Canada is like a twin brother to us Americans, except...they have a queen (head of state of the Commonwealth of Nations), the metric system (most of the world does) and a colourful flavourful way of spelling English words. And they gave the world some of their celebrities (100s of them - today is Pamela Anderson's 50th), Insulin (in the University of Toronto in the 1920s) and ice hockey (also they invented basketball). 
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

SignGeek101

As the only Canadian to comment on this thread thus far, I can say that I actually don't celebrate Canada Day. It's just my nature (I don't celebrate my birthday either). I used to live in Ottawa, the capital. The other reason is that I am honestly not patriotic to the country. I'm not saying I wished I lived in some other war torn place, I'm just not the type to get out the masses of flags and other things associated with celebrating a country's anniversary. Most years I just stay home and relax. At night (if the weather is good), I will go see some fireworks.

This year however I have an actual issue with Canada Day. The "Canada 150" thing cost the government over $500M to implement (advertise, for flags, special bank notes, and other things). It appears I'm not alone on this issue:

http://globalnews.ca/news/3538958/canada-150-budget-too-much/

The other issue is the fact that this year all national parks within the country are free (sounds like a great idea, but I'm concerned for the potential consequences of having many more people in those parks all year long).

There's another issue that I have too, but I won't bring it up here (it is a bit more "touchy" of a topic for lack of a better term).

I know I sounder like a whiner, but it's just my point of view.  :)

tdindy88

I spent Canada Day last year in Toronto and saw the fireworks from the Habourfront Centre. I don't know if it's a general Canadian thing or just specific to that location but what struck me as curious was the soundtrack for the fireworks there. The songs were in general up-beat pop songs (by Canadian artists, including Justin Bieber) that was more of a party-like mood if that makes any sense. There was nothing in the music that screamed "Canada" and there was no national anthem, in fact the whole time I was in Canada I never heard the anthem played once. The firework show wasn't overally patriotic, but enough to say that we are celebrating the holiday. Contrast this with most 4th of July firework shows here where the songs are almost always namedropping America, all the Sousa hits and country songs celebrating our country. It provided a nice contrast between our two countries.

7/8

I'm being a traitor by spending today in Indianapolis :-D! I went to the Indianapolis Speedway (my second time) for a tour of the track, and then went go karting. The reason I'm here is because there was a large Pokemon TCG tournament yesterday.

I feel a bit bad about not being around for the 150, but how could I say no to a road trip with new roads/counties/photos? :)

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 01, 2017, 03:58:10 PM
As the only Canadian to comment on this thread thus far, I can say that I actually don't celebrate Canada Day. It's just my nature (I don't celebrate my birthday either).
This year however I have an actual issue with Canada Day. The "Canada 150" thing cost the government over $500M to implement (advertise, for flags, special bank notes, and other things). It appears I'm not alone on this issue:

http://globalnews.ca/news/3538958/canada-150-budget-too-much/

I know I sounder like a whiner, but it's just my point of view.  :)

If that could cheer you up, you're not alone. :) For the tv promotions, they could just have to recycle the Canada 125 ads for Canada 150. ;) Kellogg's did once for a Raisin Bran ad aired in 1985 and 2006.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U--10XGnFBk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nRpzaYgatA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWumCH7Jzfk

MisterSG1

Canada Day (originally Dominion Day) can't really be called an independence day. In other words, it's probably more accurate to describe Canada Day as the anniversary on the founding of what we call Canada today. In fact, it may shock many here, but Canada has really only been independent since 1982. Research the Canada Act that the British Parliament passed in 1982 and you'll see what I mean.

The British North America Act which founded the "Dominion of Canada" on July 1, 1867, was a formal unification of Canada (which at the time was a combined version of present day Ontario & Quebec), New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia. The Act would split Canada into Ontario & Quebec. There are many reasons why this happened, and many can go on and debate about it,

As we see from Canadian posters here, myself included, Canada 150 was met mostly with indifference. Asking some baby boomers who remember the Canadian Centennial in 1967, there was a totally different vibe back then with respect to now.

In fact, I probably heard more in opposition to Canada 150 than I did in support for it, the Ryerson Students Union went as far as to post this on Facebook on July 1st.

This is all a very touchy subject and would more properly belong on a politics forum. So I don't want to get into this too deeply, let's just say that I observed nothing on July 1.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.