Construction project with more work (by miles) being done in adjoining state

Started by davewiecking, July 09, 2017, 03:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewiecking

I was reading on the MDSHA website about the work being done on the I-81 bridges over the Potomac to WV, about one third of which is actually over WV land. Bridges are each being doubled in width via inside widening, then traffic completely moved to the new portions while the late 60s' decks get replaced. At the conclusion, the entire project area will be paved for 3 lanes. The MD portion of the entire project is 1.1 miles, and also includes widening the bridges over MD 63/68, and paving for 3 lanes a bit beyond that, although the striped lanes will initially tie in with the entrance/exit ramps.

I just noticed the innocent portion in the project information that WV requested that MD include continuous widening of I-81 up to where they had ended their 6-laning just north of the US-11 interchange, which sounds perfectly reasonable. Looking at Google Earth, it seems that the roadway distance needing to be widened in WV is about 2 miles; perhaps another half mile worth of roadway restriping thru the interchange will be required (of course WV will reimburse MD for the construction work, and I suppose could do this final striping themselves).

Granted, the major costs and effort on this project are the work on the actual bridges, but it just seems rather unique that a majority of the lane-miles on this project are located in a state that's not managing the project. Can anybody think of any other examples of this?

MNHighwayMan

The Stillwater bridge project had more lane miles constructed in Wisconsin than in Minnesota (the new four-lane alignment of WI-64 to connect to the bridge accounting for that), despite that it likely benefits Minnesota far more than Wisconsin. However, management of the project is/was pretty evenly split between the states, IIRC. Someone more familiar with the intimate details of the project can probably set me straight.

vdeane

I believe the project to connect the US 15/future I-99 freeway in PA to the then-existing US 15 freeway in NY was designed by PennDOT despite being entirely in NY.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

davewiecking

I expected an answer related to a bridge project, but the US-15/I-99 answer is rather odd...thanks.

jeffandnicole

The recent NJ/PA Turnpike Delaware River Bridge emergency construction was administered by the NJ Turnpike Authority, despite the affected section of the bridge being over PA land.  (Unlike most bridges crossing the Delaware River, there's no bi-state authority for this bridge. The two Turnpikes have decided that the NJTA will be the primary agency for all major bridge work, and will bill the PTC 50% +/- of the costs of the work.)

SP Cook

Not nearly as extensive, but Corridor G (US 119 and US 52 at that point) enters Kentucky for two short segments before "really" entering Kentucky just north of Williamson.  This was because it was easier to cross the Tug Fork (certainly the most insignificant body of water to be a state border, maybe 10 feet wide at that point) than to blast the mountain to keep it on the WV side.  The road was built and is maintained by WV (KY cops sometimes show up, but that is all, WV even scrapes the snow).    WV even paid KY the money to acquire the right of way. 

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on July 10, 2017, 10:09:17 AM
Not nearly as extensive, but Corridor G (US 119 and US 52 at that point) enters Kentucky for two short segments before "really" entering Kentucky just north of Williamson.  This was because it was easier to cross the Tug Fork (certainly the most insignificant body of water to be a state border, maybe 10 feet wide at that point) than to blast the mountain to keep it on the WV side.  The road was built and is maintained by WV (KY cops sometimes show up, but that is all, WV even scrapes the snow).    WV even paid KY the money to acquire the right of way.

The creek that separates WV and VA near Bishop is pretty narrow, but it only comprises a very small portion of the total boundary between the two states. The boundary between KY and WV is entirely water.

The two new Louisville bridges projects certainly qualify. Indiana led on one, Kentucky on the other; but both involved significant work in the other state.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ukfan758

Quote from: hbelkins on July 10, 2017, 01:08:21 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on July 10, 2017, 10:09:17 AM

The creek that separates WV and VA near Bishop is pretty narrow, but it only comprises a very small portion of the total boundary between the two states. The boundary between KY and WV is entirely water.

The two new Louisville bridges projects certainly qualify. Indiana led on one, Kentucky on the other; but both involved significant work in the other state.

Indeed, Kentucky did the Downtown Project (Kentucky side Collector-Distributer ramps, Kennedy Bridge rehabilitation, Lincoln Bridge, Indiana widening, collector distributors, Indiana exits, 6th St bridge approach ramps) and Indiana did the East End (New Indiana side interchange, upgraded Indiana interchange, new roadway, East End Bridge, Kentucky approach ramps/bridges, tunnel, US-42 interchange, Kentucky side widening. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.