News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Snow...

Started by BigMattFromTexas, December 04, 2009, 11:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMattFromTexas

This is like the first time I remember it snowing before winter in San Angelo, Tx. It wasn't even just a little flakes here and there it was like a Texas blizzard! :happy:
It snowed about two inches, but where was I? Oh I was at school until 3:45 and by that time just about ALL the snow was gone... So now I have to wait until the next time it snows... And who knows when that will be...
Heres the pictures I took at 6:30 AM
http://picasaweb.google.com/bigmatt30000/Snow?feat=directlink
BigMatt

Chris

It was an historic early snowfall. It even reached Houston and Louisiana.

Meanwhile, Montana has wind chills in the -40's.

froggie

QuoteThis is like the first time I remember it snowing before winter in San Angelo, Tx.

It may not be "official" winter, but it is "meteorological" winter...

Dougtone

I've seen the snow fall as early as October and as late as May.  Snow in early December would be of no surprise here in Upstate New York.

Chris

Quote from: dougtone on December 05, 2009, 08:08:36 AM
Snow in early December would be of no surprise here in Upstate New York.

Well, it probably is in Houston, which is at the same latitude as Cairo, Egypt.

Scott5114

Oklahoma got nothing.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

BigMattFromTexas

I really wouldn't be that supprised if it snowed later in the winter...
BigMatt

english si

Quote from: Chris on December 05, 2009, 09:27:46 AMWell, it probably is in Houston, which is at the same latitude as Cairo, Egypt.
Since when is latitude an absolute guide to temperature? The climates at Cairo and Houston are different.

That said, snow in Houston is rather rare.

No snow here at 51.5 North and we've only had one frost, let alone any snow. That North Atlantic Drift keeps our winters warm (though wet) and sadly we get little snow and are unable to deal with it if we get it as it's also rare.

Ian

Ah I love the snow, as well as the late fall, winter season. One of the reasons why I like the area where I live  :cool:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

SSOWorld

There's an inch of snow on the grown here in SW Wisconsin.  That's about to change by at least +12 inches Tuesday night :|
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Chris

There's even a blizzard warning at the IA-MN border. The whole area between Arizona and Michigan is in winter conditions.

Truvelo

There's no snow here at the moment. It's been mild here compared to last winter.
Speed limits limit life

Chris

Iowa:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DES MOINES HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD WARNING...

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 10 TO 14 INCHES ARE ANTICIPATED FOR MUCH OF CENTRAL IOWA. THE BEST THREAT FOR RECEIVING OVER A FOOT OF SNOW IS GENERALLY SOUTH OF HIGHWAY 20. ISOLATED AMOUNTS UP TO 16 INCHES ARE FORECAST FROM EAST OF DES MOINES TO SOUTH OF WATERLOO.

SIGNIFICANT TRAVEL CONCERNS ARE EXPECTED WITH THIS DANGEROUS WINTER STORM...ESPECIALLY DURING THE AFTERNOON HOURS AND TOWARDS RUSH HOUR TONIGHT. IN ADDITION TO THE HEAVY SNOW ACCUMULATING ON ROADWAYS...VERY STRONG NORTH TO NORTHWEST WINDS WILL CAUSE SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW AND WHITEOUT CONDITIONS LATE TONIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY...LEADING TO THE  POTENTIAL FOR MAJOR TRAVEL IMPACTS AND ROAD CLOSURES. SNOW DRIFTS OF 8 TO 15 FEET ARE POSSIBLE BY WEDNESDAY.

SSOWorld

And more blizzard warnings get issued as we go along. in Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Missouri and Nebraska
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Scott5114

TONIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. COLDER. LOWS AROUND 14. WEST WINDS 15 TO 20 MPH.

So speaketh NWS Norman. OK generally gets one winter weather event per year. Looks like this will not be the time this year. Only chance of snow on the forecast is a 20% chance of precip, either rain or snow, on Friday night.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

It is winter in Kansas, according to KDOT's 511 site:

http://511.ksdot.org/KanRoadPublic_VE/Default.aspx

Turnpike is slushy all the way from Oklahoma to Topeka, and roads north of Topeka and the I-70 corridor (including parts of I-70 in the Flint Hills) have ice and packed snow.  Conditions are especially bad around Atchison.

An old friend of mine who lives in Topeka is running a betting pool on her Facebook page.  She thinks there will be 6" accumulation, and there are guesses ranging from 1 1/2" up to 12" (the latter admittedly not very serious).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Bryant5493

There was some talk of accumulation in Metro Atlanta, but I've seen none. It's just been raining quite a bit.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Stephane Dumas

Chris

http://www.511ia.org/roadConditions.asp?area=IA_statewide&textOnly=False

Travel is not advised for most of Iowa. Nearly all roads are snow-packed.

Brandon

Quote from: Chris on December 09, 2009, 06:57:17 AM
http://www.511ia.org/roadConditions.asp?area=IA_statewide&textOnly=False

Travel is not advised for most of Iowa. Nearly all roads are snow-packed.

Was out that way yesterday (well, near it, in the Quad Cities) at 4:00pm.  The freezing rain (and sleet) was coming down very hard.  In fact, most everyone was either turned away from the wind (oddly from the east) or had a hood up to protect their face from it.  Wound up leaving there about 4:15pm and got back to Joliet (about 130 miles away) at 6:45pm.  I-80 was very slushy from the Quads through Atkinson (Exit 27) and slippery until Spring Valley.  Then the problem was the wind until Morris, after which it got slushy again (but not as bad as before).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SSOWorld

Consider yourself lucky.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 05, 2009, 10:30:07 AM
Oklahoma got nothing.
Except for some freezing rain. 

It's supposed to get down to 10 tonight.  I'm not planning on going outside unless I have to.

Chris

Interstate 90 in Pennsylvania was closed, there is heavy lake effect snow in that area. Some areas around Erie may receive over 2 feet of snow.

rawmustard

Quote from: Chris on December 11, 2009, 11:33:43 AM
Interstate 90 in Pennsylvania was closed, there is heavy lake effect snow in that area. Some areas around Erie may receive over 2 feet of snow.

Also see this thread. :-(

Hellfighter

No snow here, but it's brutal (freezing)!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.