News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Where do you live?

Started by cjk374, July 23, 2017, 10:15:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What best describes where you live?

Mega-city (NYC, Houston, Los Angeles, e.g.) 500K + population
Big city 100K-500K population
City 10K-100K population
Town 1K-10K population
Village (under 1K population)
Outside any municipal entity

Mr. Matté

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 24, 2017, 01:09:53 AM
Quote from: JJBers on July 23, 2017, 11:21:27 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 23, 2017, 02:04:28 PM
Quote from: 1 on July 23, 2017, 12:21:44 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 23, 2017, 12:09:50 PM
The jurisdiction that I live in has a population of about 45,000, but is classified as a "Town" and not a "City".  So while I did vote appropriately based on population, the label is a misnomer.

I think I figured out which town it is. (Based on your description of "outside the I-291 beltway", I would have thought you were within a few miles of I-291 in Connecticut. Now I think you're closer to the Massachusetts border than to I-291 in Connecticut. Am I right?)

Quote from: JJBers on July 23, 2017, 12:40:28 PM

Connecticut is famous for that. *cough* West Hartford *cough*

Nope.  Not Enfield as 1 guessed, and not WeHa either.  Someone did figure it out once, though.
I thought you lived in East Windsor until that point.
There's only one place in Connecticut that could be a village: Union, where I-84 blasts through.
But here's a semi-easy way to figure out what town I live in:
I live in the Willimantic area and I live in a "town". Take a look around, and you'll easily figure it out

Your avatar and population clue helped me figure it out.  One of only a handful of towns in CT outside of Litchfield County without a Dunkin Donuts (there are several within my town's limits)

I'm in East Windsor and we have three Dunkin Donuts. However, my East Windsor is East Windsor Township, NJ (pop 27K in 2010 so it's apparently a city per the poll).

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Mr. Matté on July 24, 2017, 12:15:38 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 24, 2017, 01:09:53 AM
Quote from: JJBers on July 23, 2017, 11:21:27 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 23, 2017, 02:04:28 PM
Quote from: 1 on July 23, 2017, 12:21:44 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 23, 2017, 12:09:50 PM
The jurisdiction that I live in has a population of about 45,000, but is classified as a "Town" and not a "City".  So while I did vote appropriately based on population, the label is a misnomer.

I think I figured out which town it is. (Based on your description of "outside the I-291 beltway", I would have thought you were within a few miles of I-291 in Connecticut. Now I think you're closer to the Massachusetts border than to I-291 in Connecticut. Am I right?)

Quote from: JJBers on July 23, 2017, 12:40:28 PM

Connecticut is famous for that. *cough* West Hartford *cough*

Nope.  Not Enfield as 1 guessed, and not WeHa either.  Someone did figure it out once, though.
I thought you lived in East Windsor until that point.
There's only one place in Connecticut that could be a village: Union, where I-84 blasts through.
But here's a semi-easy way to figure out what town I live in:
I live in the Willimantic area and I live in a "town". Take a look around, and you'll easily figure it out

Your avatar and population clue helped me figure it out.  One of only a handful of towns in CT outside of Litchfield County without a Dunkin Donuts (there are several within my town's limits)

I'm in East Windsor and we have three Dunkin Donuts. However, my East Windsor is East Windsor Township, NJ (pop 27K in 2010 so it's apparently a city per the poll).

I hardly consider my town a city, although there are a couple of places in CT that have a lower population and are classified as cities.  Granted, having a couple of interstate highways pass through has led to a lot of retail and residential development, has doubled the population since 1960, and has turned my once small town into a larger centralized suburb about 20 minutes from Hartford and 2 hours (1:45 on a good day) from both Boston and NYC.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

tchafe1978

In Wisconsin, City, Village, or Township refers to the structure of the government, not the population of the municipality. Townships are the unincorporated areas outside of the cities and villages. But villages usually are smaller in population. My village has a population of 986 as of the 2010 census.

Sanctimoniously

I live in one of Virginia's independent cities.
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

Roadgeekteen

I voted for town but I would fall under city for your population numbers.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

pianocello

This was tricky for me. I voted for City, because that's where Ames' population falls under according to this poll. My hometown, Davenport, just barely falls into "Big City" status, but I wouldn't call it that, even by Iowa standards.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

epzik8

Forest Hill, Maryland, about 30 miles from Baltimore.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

sparker

As of now, "official" Census estimates of my city's (San Jose) population indicate a figure of 1.02M+; I suppose that means we've joined the ranks of mega, mega cities!  FWIW, now CA has joined TX as the only states containing 3 incorporated cities with 1M+ residents (big mixed-bag whoopee!?).  And, at the risk of being Captain Obvious, we're the sole 1M+ city without a 2di within city limits!   :-/   

jeffandnicole

It's interesting to see the differences of how we live. I assume the person that made this thread is in Louisiana, based on that first post.  I guess down there it's mostly little hamlets with small little convenience stores, and possibly a market where they buy food which has no more than 3 checkout lanes.  If they need to go to a Walmart or Target or a large supermarket, they're going 'to the city'. 

Whereas many others here live within 10 miles of multiple Walmarts and Supermarkets, and where some of our local neighborhoods which may not even have a store would qualify as a city under the OP's survey.

My town qualifies as a city for this poll, but it is no where close to a city.

cjk374

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 25, 2017, 06:04:07 AM
It's interesting to see the differences of how we live. I assume the person that made this thread is in Louisiana, based on that first post.  I guess down there it's mostly little hamlets with small little convenience stores, and possibly a market where they buy food which has no more than 3 checkout lanes.  If they need to go to a Walmart or Target or a large supermarket, they're going 'to the city'. 

Whereas many others here live within 10 miles of multiple Walmarts and Supermarkets, and where some of our local neighborhoods which may not even have a store would qualify as a city under the OP's survey.

Your assumptions are all correct. That was kinda what I was looking for when I created this poll. What many people have said "my town barely qualifies as a city" would be considered, by me, to be a big city.

As of the 2010 census, Simsboro's population was 841. We have 2 convenience stores. The nearest dollar store is 5 miles from my house in Grambling. Another 5-6 miles is the nearest Wal-Mart in Ruston. Ruston's 2010 population was 21,859. That is what I consider a small city, while many of you would consider that a small town (or maybe even a village depending on where you live).
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jeffandnicole

Living in NJ, we have a 'city' of under 1,000 people.  We have a village of over 20,000 people.  A few townships are right around 100,000 in population.  My township is right next to a small city.  We have more than double the population of that city, spread out over 8 times the area.

Within a 10 mile radius of my house, I have 12 Walmarts.  Over half of them I've never been to, including 4 which are in the adjoining state. 

Within my own neighborhood, I can get to 2 convenience stores of the same chain!  And that's down from 3, as they closed one a few years back.

I still can't believe when I read stories from elsewhere when an entire county is getting their first traffic light.  The last *municipality* in my county (24 in total) to get a light was about 12 years ago, and it was amazing they managed to go that long without one.

cjk374

I actually remember when we got our first (and only) light in town. It is a blinking caution light, but I remember my mom laughing her ass off when she looked down the road and saw it operating for the first time. She said we moved up in the world.

jwolfer

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 25, 2017, 08:15:22 AM
Living in NJ, we have a 'city' of under 1,000 people.  We have a village of over 20,000 people.  A few townships are right around 100,000 in population.  My township is right next to a small city.  We have more than double the population of that city, spread out over 8 times the area.

Within a 10 mile radius of my house, I have 12 Walmarts.  Over half of them I've never been to, including 4 which are in the adjoining state. 

Within my own neighborhood, I can get to 2 convenience stores of the same chain!  And that's down from 3, as they closed one a few years back.

I still can't believe when I read stories from elsewhere when an entire county is getting their first traffic light.  The last *municipality* in my county (24 in total) to get a light was about 12 years ago, and it was amazing they managed to go that long without one.
I remember thinking it wad odd ro have stop signs where State Roads or US highways intersect when ouside NJ.

When i was young there was a 4 way stop at the intersection of SR21 and 16 in Clay County, Florida.. That blew my mind at 11 coming from densely populated NJ.. Traffic light there since the late 1980s

LGMS428

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

7/8

Quote from: cjk374 on July 25, 2017, 07:27:42 AM

Your assumptions are all correct. That was kinda what I was looking for when I created this poll. What many people have said "my town barely qualifies as a city" would be considered, by me, to be a big city.

As of the 2010 census, Simsboro's population was 841. We have 2 convenience stores. The nearest dollar store is 5 miles from my house in Grambling. Another 5-6 miles is the nearest Wal-Mart in Ruston. Ruston's 2010 population was 21,859. That is what I consider a small city, while many of you would consider that a small town (or maybe even a village depending on where you live).

Kitchener is currently at 233 222 (in 2016) and that bumps up to 338 208 if Waterloo is included (we're practically one city), so I voted "big city". I would actually consider this a medium city, since Toronto is the "big city" to me .

Also, your poll would classify Brampton and Mississauga as "mega cities", even though they're really suburbs of Toronto :)

cjk374

Quote from: 7/8 on July 25, 2017, 11:19:22 PM

It's hard for me to imagine a town of 841 being called a "small city", but it just shows you how everything is relative.

Kitchener is currently at 233 222 (in 2016) and that bumps up to 338 208 if Waterloo is included (we're practically one city), so I voted "big city". I would actually consider this a medium city, since Toronto is the "big city" to me .

Also, your poll would classify Brampton and Mississauga as "mega cities", even though they're really suburbs of Toronto :)

My hometown ranks as a village.

Eth

To my ears, these mostly seem like semantic distinctions. Georgia has just one municipal structure (leaving aside city-county consolidation) - it can be called either a city or a town, but there is no difference whatsoever apart from the name. Our largest town (Grovetown) has a population of over 11,000, while our smallest city (Edge Hill) has a population of 24. But really I just think of these as being colloquial terms. As a child living in a city of about 3,000 with negligible commercial activity, I thought of the nearest "small city" as being the one about ten miles to the south, which was five times larger and had a Wal-Mart. The nearest "big city" was Atlanta, some 25 miles to the north.

Anyway, as far as the poll is concerned, I now live in a city of a bit over 20,000 (with little land area, so it's dense enough to truly feel like a proper city) within about a five-minute drive of the previously mentioned "big city" of over 400,000.

7/8

Quote from: cjk374 on July 26, 2017, 05:14:04 AM
Quote from: 7/8 on July 25, 2017, 11:19:22 PM

It's hard for me to imagine a town of 841 being called a "small city", but it just shows you how everything is relative.

Sorry, I see now that I misread your post. I removed the "small city" part from my post (though I would still call that a town myself) :)

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on July 26, 2017, 05:14:04 AM

Where am I?
In the Village.
What do you want?
Information.
Whose side are you on?
That would be telling.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

JKRhodes

I live outside of Safford, Arizona, which has a population of ~9,500 residents. Graham County has a population of about 37,000. We have a Walmart, Home Depot, three supermarkets, fast food, a community college and a small regional hospital.

Advanced amenities require a 2+ hour trip to Tucson, or 2-3 hours to the Mesa/Phoenix area.

jwolfer

Quote from: roadiejay on July 30, 2017, 10:40:08 AM
I live outside of Safford, Arizona, which has a population of ~9,500 residents. Graham County has a population of about 37,000. We have a Walmart, Home Depot, three supermarkets, fast food, a community college and a small regional hospital.

Advanced amenities require a 2+ hour trip to Tucson, or 2-3 hours to the Mesa/Phoenix area.
Some smaller towns/cities have a lot od commercial activity if they are the center for a vast rural area

LGMS428

Otto Yamamoto

In an apartment

STV100-2

US 89

In Utah, cities are incorporated places with more than 1000 people and are divided into 5 classes:
1st class cities have more than 100K (there are only 4 first class cities)
2nd class are 65K to 100K
3rd class are 35K to 65K
4th class are 10K to 30K
5th class are 1K to 10K
Towns are incorporated places smaller than population 1000.

Townships, on the other hand, are unincorporated areas within a county that generally have some type of self rule, according to Wikipedia. They often are also census designated places. As far as I know, there are no villages in Utah.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 25, 2017, 08:15:22 AM

Several counties in Utah don't have a traffic light. Beaver, Daggett, Morgan, Piute, Rich, and Wayne Counties don't have any full traffic lights.

Dougtone

Along the muddy banks of the Wishkah.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.