News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

9-11

Started by Roadgeekteen, September 11, 2017, 09:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

16 years ago, the US was hit with one of the worst terroist attacks in history. RIP to the people who died.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

NE2

I remember the Alamo!
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

inkyatari

49 years ago the world was hit with the biggest disaster in its's history.

Me.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

US 81

My condolences to all who are still grieving our losses at the Towers, the Pentagon, the airline passengers, pilots and crews, and all the first responders.

hbelkins

It's also the anniversary of Benghazi. But what difference, at this point, does it make?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

LM117

Quote from: hbelkins on September 12, 2017, 04:27:06 PM
It's also the anniversary of Benghazi. But what difference, at this point, does it make?

What a covfefe that was!
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

inkyatari

This year, 9/11 is also the 40th anniversary of the Atari 2600.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

The Nature Boy

Also the anniversary of Pete Rose breaking Ty Cobb's all-time hit record.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on September 12, 2017, 04:27:06 PM

When was Beirut attacked?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 13, 2017, 09:57:03 AM

Johnny Bench was my favorite Red when I was growing up. Rose was my brother's favorite.

I have a copy of that game recorded on a Betamax tape somewhere.

I've quit following MLB, but I still think Pete belongs in the HOF based on his on-field accomplishments.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: hbelkins on September 13, 2017, 12:47:56 PM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 13, 2017, 09:57:03 AM

Johnny Bench was my favorite Red when I was growing up. Rose was my brother's favorite.

I have a copy of that game recorded on a Betamax tape somewhere.

I've quit following MLB, but I still think Pete belongs in the HOF based on his on-field accomplishments.

I agree, Rose was a great player and him not being in the Hall of Fame is a huge omission. You can't have a HOF without the all-time hit king. I can see excluding the steroid era guys but Rose's betting did not result in an unnatural enhancement of his performance.

roadman65

Yes its all politics in the MLB.  Pete Rose was a great player.  What he did does not take away his achievements and what he did was not directly altering his ability to have gotten his moments.

Also 9-11 is now Irma's hit date for us in Florida.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeekteen

It's now been 20 years since the tragic day.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

US71

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 11, 2021, 02:56:24 AM
It's now been 20 years since the tragic day.

I didn't even know until I got to work. The media was talking about a "tragedy" without updating listeners.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

snowc

I was NOT born back when the incidents were occurring. I was however, born a month later.
My father was at Wayne Ave School during the incidents and when he heard about it, he was like  :wow:

JayhawkCO

I was on my way to Arabic class at KU where I was learning Arabic so that I could work for the state department in anti-terrorism (something that never came to pass).

Chris

Max Rockatansky

I was drinking the night before so I slept past both towers collapsing.  I'm still surprised nobody bothered to call my house phone (about 8 years before I had a call phone).

NWI_Irish96

I was (and still am) a Federal employee. I was working out of an office in Westchester, IL, at the time. There were no TVs in the office at that time. My OA's sister called from the Willis (Sears) tower where she worked and said a plane had hit the World Trade Center. We weren't sure what to make of it at that time. She called back a little bit later to tell us that a second plane had hit the second tower and they were evacuating her building because they were worried it would also be a target.

At that point, the 50+ employees in the office that morning huddled around the 3-4 radios we had lying around. Got them turned on right before the towers collapsed and the report of a third plane hitting the Pentagon. Some time around 10-11, we all got sent home.

Our Manhattan office was only a mile or so from the towers on a high floor. The first impact jarred their office, and they were all watching as the second plane hit. Two of their co-workers were on Flight 93.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

wanderer2575

"Hallowed Ground" by Dave Barry.  One of his best pieces.  He wrote it for the one-year anniversary.

TheHighwayMan3561

I was 11 at the time, and I think for people in my age group that was the end of our childhood. Having been subjected to the absolute worst of humanity (and some of the best of it) at that time changed things. I think people my age were different after that even in the immediate aftermath.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kevinb1994

I was six at the time. My birthday falls exactly a month after. But I don't remember really where I was or what I was doing that day. I do know that my dad was still working in Midtown at the time (he ended up taking the ferry to the PATH via a indirect walking transfer, then took the PATH into Newark Penn Station). We had also recently moved from Franklin Park to Princeton (actually, we changed zip codes and mailing address, but stayed within Franklin Township, Somerset County), but while staying in the same elementary school (Franklin Park). Due to bullying (and the public school system just not being adequate enough), I would eventually leave Franklin Park for private schooling (and that is how I ended up here). Within a year of 9-11, I would also be held back a year in grade school (also at Franklin Park).

I actually am not far from a high school where a piece of the North Tower is located (Bartram Trail in St. Johns). Bartram Trail was the practice facility for the Pats for the Super Bowl hosted at what is now TIAA Bank Field (then known as Alltel Stadium). They actually lodged at World Golf Village nearby, where there is now a Buc-ees.

webny99

I was only two, so I don't remember where I was when it happened or anything like that. I had at least a limited understanding of what happened early in life, though, certainly by the time I was ten.

With that in mind, I don't think it's fair to the victims and their families to say that the tragedy has had a large impact on me personally, but it is perspective-altering to think about the fact that I was at least alive at the time. And I have always appreciated being able to say I was born in the '90's, as that seems like a much better decade/era in history than the '00's in no small part because of 9/11.

kevinb1994

Quote from: roadman65 on September 13, 2017, 01:06:33 PM
Also 9-11 is now Irma's hit date for us in Florida.
Speaking of Irma, it had recently hit when I moved here. Things looked pretty desolate in parts of the Urban Core (I don't live there-I live in what would have been unincorporated Duval County prior to 1968-the Deerwood section of town as it stands now, but I don't live in the gated country club community either, though I do live in a different gated community east of there, off of the furthest eastern extension of Baymeadows Road that is not part of SR 152, and there is road noise from that road and/or the I-295 East Beltway section nearby). At first, I lived in a temporary apartment setup in the Baymeadows section of town (which would have also been unincorporated prior to 1968-I was NOT on or off of Baymeadows Road, but a little to the west of Southside Boulevard (SR 115) on a road named after a locally-famous development family patriarch-did not really enjoy having SR 202 right behind us).

Daniel Fiddler

I was preparing to go to my calculus class at college (the first attempt at calculus)

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.