News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Railroad Bridges

Started by BigMattFromTexas, July 07, 2010, 04:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 16, 2010, 12:47:28 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Kill_Vertical_Lift_Bridge

The largest vertical lift bridge in the world. Newark NJ
Oddly I was just talking with someone about rail service on Staten Island.  Interesting to know that it's been re-established.

realjd

I'm partial to the Bahia Honda Bridge in the Keys. When they converted it from a rail bridge to a highway bridge, the road wouldn't fit inside the truss structure so they actually build the highway on top of the old railroad trusses.

Click the image thumbnail, then the magnifying glass icon for much higher res images.

agentsteel53

was it ever used for both railroad and cars at the same time?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hm insulators

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 20, 2010, 04:08:09 PM

It was originally a railroad, built about the time of World War I. In 1935, the Labor Day Hurricane, with winds gusting over 200 mph, slammed into the Keys and tore the railroad to shreds; a rescue train that had been sent over from Miami was overturned by the storm. The original Overseas Highway then replaced the railroad.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

realjd

As hm insulators said, nope. The railroad didn't have the money to fix it after the hurricane, and the FEC railroad line was truncated to Miami. FDOT decided to rebuild it as a highway. Most of the old rail bridges in the Keys were stone arch or other open-top designs so they were able to cantilever a wider roadway onto the rail supports.

In the years since, most of the old converted rail bridges were bypassed by modern highway bridges, but you can still see them running parallel to US1. They've functioned as fishing piers until recently, and are currently being refurbished and reopened as a multi-use path.

The 7-mile bridge just west (south on US1) of Marathon is another great example. What's cool about this bridge is that they switched construction methods part-way through. One side is stone arch and the other side is steel. In the google maps link below you can clearly see the old roadway cantilevered onto the rail structure.
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=24.689545,-81.202784&spn=0.007253,0.009645&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=24.689641,-81.202448&panoid=_v5F-zrJRiq0TZQYwu2OeA&cbp=12,355.76,,0,4.62

Alps

Quote from: realjd on December 20, 2010, 05:03:04 PM

As hm insulators said, nope. The railroad didn't have the money to fix it after the hurricane, and the FEC railroad line was truncated to Miami. FDOT decided to rebuild it as a highway. Most of the old rail bridges in the Keys were stone arch or other open-top designs so they were able to cantilever a wider roadway onto the rail supports.

In the years since, most of the old converted rail bridges were bypassed by modern highway bridges, but you can still see them running parallel to US1. They've functioned as fishing piers until recently, and are currently being refurbished and reopened as a multi-use path.

The 7-mile bridge just west (south on US1) of Marathon is another great example. What's cool about this bridge is that they switched construction methods part-way through. One side is stone arch and the other side is steel. In the google maps link below you can clearly see the old roadway cantilevered onto the rail structure.
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=24.689545,-81.202784&spn=0.007253,0.009645&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=24.689641,-81.202448&panoid=_v5F-zrJRiq0TZQYwu2OeA&cbp=12,355.76,,0,4.62
I have photos of many of the bridges on my site - www.alpsroads.net/roads/fl/us_1/k.html

realjd

Quote from: AlpsROADS on December 20, 2010, 08:14:43 PM
I have photos of many of the bridges on my site - www.alpsroads.net/roads/fl/us_1/k.html

Cool, thanks!

One note - the gaps in the old bridges were often provided to permit taller boat traffic, not necessarily always to block access to the old bridge portions.

rte66man

My favorite is the Harahan Bridge across the Mississippi at Memphis. Built ca 1897, at one time it had a road hanging off the side of it. You can still see the road approaches on the Arkansas side from I-55.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=memphis,+tn&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=34.038806,56.337891&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Memphis,+Shelby,+Tennessee&ll=35.135054,-90.084844&spn=0.00429,0.006877&t=k&z=17

My Dad remembers times when it caught fire from sparks from the trains. Apparently, the planks were heavily soaked in creosote. I will have to dig out my photos and get them posted.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

froggie

QuoteMy favorite is the Harahan Bridge across the Mississippi at Memphis. Built ca 1897, at one time it had a road hanging off the side of it. You can still see the road approaches on the Arkansas side from I-55.

On this note, entities in Tennessee and Arkansas are studying and negotiating with Union Pacific to see if one of the road overhangs on the Harahan Bridge can be rehabilitated and used as a bike/ped path.

Jordanah1

they are working on replacing the overtruss swing bridge built in 1899 across the fox river in Oshkosh WI, with a new draw bridge.
"Oshkosh"- "Oh, you mean like 'Oshkosh BGosh'?"

Stephane Dumas

There the Victoria bridge in Montreal, built in 1859, rebuilt as a truss bridge in 1898 and having a road path in 1901 but the southern approach was remade during the construction of the St. Lawrence seaway in 1958-59.

Alps

Quote from: realjd on December 21, 2010, 08:31:13 AM
Quote from: AlpsROADS on December 20, 2010, 08:14:43 PM

Cool, thanks!

One note - the gaps in the old bridges were often provided to permit taller boat traffic, not necessarily always to block access to the old bridge portions.

I do (grudgingly) acknowledge that on the 7 mile bridge page.  :cool:

SteveG1988

NJ transit is planning on restarting service over the paulins kill viaduct, (found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulinskill_Viaduct ) and also the Delaware River Viaduct of similar design ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware_River_Viaduct ) with service to near scranton. Rail has already been laid to reconstruct these lines.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Alps

Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 20, 2011, 12:53:25 AM
NJ transit is planning on restarting service over the paulins kill viaduct, (found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulinskill_Viaduct ) and also the Delaware River Viaduct of similar design ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware_River_Viaduct ) with service to near scranton. Rail has already been laid to reconstruct these lines.

I was up on that bridge not too long ago (there's a trail), so it's interesting to think that in the not too distant future people will be once again prohibited. Then again, there are ways up for those who know 8)

Takumi

1914 railroad bridge over Golf Course Drive in Prince George County, Virginia.

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

D-Dey65

I forget whether I asked this question before, but what was that former railroad bridge over I-85 in South Carolina that's at the bottom of a hill completley surrounded by some stipped forest?

lepidopteran

An example of an impressive "Erector Set" bridge may be found crossing the Monongahela River in Belle Vernon, PA.  It runs right alongside I-70, about midway between Washington, PA and New Stanton.  A second rail bridge curves under it on the east bank, and a ground-level track runs under it to the west.   Just the kind of stuff model railroaders like to duplicate.

http://goo.gl/maps/jqcGB

hobsini2

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

ghYHZ

The Howley Lift Bridge on CN's abandoned narrow-gauge Newfoundland Railway.

busman_49

lepidopteran

Quote from: Alps on October 06, 2010, 07:14:15 AM
Another rail/road combo, with the road on the lower level as a single lane:  Androscoggin River Railroad Bridge in Maine.
There are at least two like that over the Ohio River leading south from Cincinnati.

One is the C&O Bridge alongside the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge, where the railroad and highway cross on the same piers, but different trusses!  The railroad is still in use, and the road carries US-25 (ends on the Ohio side?), US-42, and US-127. 

The other is the L&N Bridge, now known as the pedestrian-only "Purple People" bridge.  This one seems to be primarily a highway bridge, but with a freight rail corridor on the east side.  The railroad stopped using this bridge back in 1987 for several reasons: (1) On the Newport, KY side, freight trains literally ran down the middle of Saratoga St. (the tracks have since been removed, and replaced with a curbed, grassy median) (2) On the Ohio side, there was apparently a tight curve where freight cars sometimes toppled. (3) CSX had consolidated their two rail divisions:  Seaboard System (which included L&N) and Chessie System (which included C&O), so they switched all traffic to the safer C&O bridge.  I wonder, did this bridge also lead to those mysterious rail overpasses across I-71 in downtown Cincy, thus explaining why they're unused?

I think the famed Roebling Bridge once carried trolleys.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.