News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-69 Ohio River Bridge

Started by truejd, August 05, 2010, 10:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordsutch

It's pretty explicitly stated in the study document that the plan is to remove the US 41 bridges when the new span is completed, given the effort to ensure there's a connection to US 41 near the river.

Presumably that also gives them the option of delaying the freeway connection from the new bridge to the Pennyrile if necessary for funding reasons, while allowing the existing bridges to be retired, saving on future maintenance.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 19, 2017, 07:49:34 AM
i didn't realize the west corridor was being considered.  I like the east corridor, but i doubt this will be picked, it will require another bridge over the green river, plus henderson would likely get pissed.

As I recall, most of the Henderson interests wanted the east corridor because it took through traffic off the strip and gave them a new "front door" using KY 351/Zion Rd/2nd St.  But from what I see, there's no proposed interchange at 351 with either the Central 2 or East corridors.

This article (http://www.thegleaner.com/story/news/2017/03/31/business-booming-along-41-strip/96129876/) seems to indicate that the less foot-dragging that goes on, the better ... Henderson's growth isn't going to wait.

silverback1065

Quote from: lordsutch on April 19, 2017, 11:47:59 PM
It's pretty explicitly stated in the study document that the plan is to remove the US 41 bridges when the new span is completed, given the effort to ensure there's a connection to US 41 near the river.

Presumably that also gives them the option of delaying the freeway connection from the new bridge to the Pennyrile if necessary for funding reasons, while allowing the existing bridges to be retired, saving on future maintenance.

they're not going to remove both bridges

Life in Paradise

They are currently in the process of redecking the bridges to increase their lifespan by 25 years.  I could see them perhaps going from twin bridges to focusing on one bridge (the newer one), since that is only 50 years old (compared to 75), and actually has a better approach on the Indiana side.  The older bridge has a somewhat sharp turn left going north as it is going around Ellis Park.  There really needs to be a second crossing over the Ohio in the Evansville/Henderson metro in case of a bad accident.  There are two near Owensboro with much less traffic through that area.

Captain Jack

Quote from: Life in Paradise on April 20, 2017, 08:22:33 AM
They are currently in the process of redecking the bridges to increase their lifespan by 25 years.  I could see them perhaps going from twin bridges to focusing on one bridge (the newer one), since that is only 50 years old (compared to 75), and actually has a better approach on the Indiana side.  The older bridge has a somewhat sharp turn left going north as it is going around Ellis Park.  There really needs to be a second crossing over the Ohio in the Evansville/Henderson metro in case of a bad accident.  There are two near Owensboro with much less traffic through that area.

Actually, the northbound span is 85 years old. I agree on the second crossing, I am pretty sure this is the largest MSA on either the Ohio or Mississippi with a single crossing.

GreenLanternCorps

700 WLW in Cincinnati was reporting today that field offices for the I-69 bridge have opened up this week in both Indiana and Kentucky.

sparker

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on July 01, 2017, 09:44:09 PM
700 WLW in Cincinnati was reporting today that field offices for the I-69 bridge have opened up this week in both Indiana and Kentucky.

I'm assuming that since an actual bridge alignment or the location of approach routes has yet to be finalized, these field offices are more for deployment of resources aimed at actually ensuring that progress continues toward the construction of the new bridge rather than anything to do with physical construction activity. 

Life in Paradise

The new offices are open in Evansville and Henderson, KY.  Apparently the same staff since they are open different days of the week; both offices are never open at the same time.  They are working on finalizing the route, which is not expected until sometime late in 2018.  Construction at the earliest to begin in 2020 (perhaps is wishful thinking).

sparker

Quote from: Life in Paradise on July 02, 2017, 06:31:46 PM
The new offices are open in Evansville and Henderson, KY.  Apparently the same staff since they are open different days of the week; both offices are never open at the same time.  They are working on finalizing the route, which is not expected until sometime late in 2018.  Construction at the earliest to begin in 2020 (perhaps is wishful thinking).

That sounds suspiciously like the real estate offices that were deployed in new housing tracts during the "bubble" of the early 2000's -- roving staff selling a batch here and a batch there before collecting their commissions and moving on.  Guess the concept works as well for selling a bridge project to those who can make it happen in both states involved.  However, in this case, let's hope they're successful in as short a timeframe as possible!

I-39

Quote from: Life in Paradise on July 02, 2017, 06:31:46 PM
They are working on finalizing the route, which is not expected until sometime late in 2018.  Construction at the earliest to begin in 2020 (perhaps is wishful thinking).

That is incredibly optimistic. I doubt that happens.

The Ghostbuster

2030 seems like a better estimate on when construction might start, in my opinion.

silverback1065

they have to figure out the alignment, file some annoying permits, then design it, then build it.  that's a long ass time

I-39

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 05, 2017, 06:22:30 PM
they have to figure out the alignment, file some annoying permits, then design it, then build it.  that's a long ass time

This. I don't think they even have an alignment selected yet? And we all know how long environmental approvals take.........

ATLRedSoxFan

Is there even a design for the I-69 bridge. It didn't even take this long for the US 231 Owensboro bridge.

silverback1065

i doubt they can design it not knowing where it will be. the damn permits will take the most time. i HATE filing permits!  :banghead:

Life in Paradise

There are five current alignments in the mix.  Two of them I didn't know about until a month ago have the bridge being built just to the WEST of the current US 41 bridge and the road tearing up a residential commercial area west of the current strip in Henderson to merge into the current US 41 at its interchange with US 60.  Two other options have the bridge just east of the current US 41 bridge (crossing near the mouth of the Green River into the Ohio) and going around Audubon Park to the old Pennyrile either just before the Zion Road exit or near the 425 exit.  The final alternative plows through residential neighborhoods in Western Warrick County east of the Angel Mounds State Monument and crosses the Ohio and goes far east in Henderson County, KY to hitch up with I-69 near the Highway 425 exit.  I really think the middle two options are the more likely.

silverback1065

Quote from: Life in Paradise on July 06, 2017, 08:16:10 AM
There are five current alignments in the mix.  Two of them I didn't know about until a month ago have the bridge being built just to the WEST of the current US 41 bridge and the road tearing up a residential commercial area west of the current strip in Henderson to merge into the current US 41 at its interchange with US 60.  Two other options have the bridge just east of the current US 41 bridge (crossing near the mouth of the Green River into the Ohio) and going around Audubon Park to the old Pennyrile either just before the Zion Road exit or near the 425 exit.  The final alternative plows through residential neighborhoods in Western Warrick County east of the Angel Mounds State Monument and crosses the Ohio and goes far east in Henderson County, KY to hitch up with I-69 near the Highway 425 exit.  I really think the middle two options are the more likely.

have a link to a map of the proposed alignments?  i'm not sure why they even considered anything west of 41, that's a weird choice.

inkyatari

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 06, 2017, 08:18:13 AM

have a link to a map of the proposed alignments?  i'm not sure why they even considered anything west of 41, that's a weird choice.

Here you go..

https://i69ohiorivercrossing.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/20170418-I-69-ORX-Open-House-Handout.pdf
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

inkyatari

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

silverback1065

i personally like the east crossing. 

sparker

The east crossing does create the least amount of problems for Henderson itself; its overall cost is essentially on a parity with the other options.  However, it appears that all of the options save one of the east alternatives eliminate the present US 41 twin crossings and leave only the I-69 bridge, regardless of location, as the sole river crossing.  It appears that the calculus being employed here takes into account the ongoing maintenance costs of the existing bridges -- and is essentially attempting to utilize the future zeroing-out of that cost as one of the justifications for the new facility.  With that in mind, it's likely that even if the option eventually selected is the one that retains the US 41 crossing, one of the bridges -- ostensibly the oldest one -- will be dismantled, leaving a 2-lane "surface" facility to serve as the direct Henderson-Evansville connector, with the I-69 facility's utilization primarily dedicated to longer-distance traffic plus (via the US 60 interchange with the eastern option) access to the eastern parts of Evansville.  It's probably been calculated that with the through traffic removed from US 41, a single bridge will be adequate to address the mainly local usage.

Avalanchez71

I would propose an alternate 8, leave in place.

Captain Jack

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 06, 2017, 01:25:20 PM
i personally like the east crossing.

I personally do as well, and feel it would provide the most benefit to the area motorists, providing the growing Newburgh area with a crossing several miles east of the current one. Will create the most benefit to Henderson as well by opening up the far eastern edge of the city for easy accessibility.

With that said, it will be the most costly in terms of mileage, and would be the only route requiring a bridge over the Green River. My gut tells me we will get one of the Central Corridors.

sparker

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 06, 2017, 05:37:34 PM
I would propose an alternate 8, leave in place.

Not gonna happen!  Too much local support on both sides of the river for this project to be abandoned.  The die was cast with the completion of I-69 from both directions, leaving only the bridge to be deployed.  No jurisdiction, official, or project promoter wants Henderson to be another Breezewood -- and that includes Henderson itself!  At this point in time, it appears that for the most part those who would prefer to dance on the grave of a truncated I-69 have retrenched back to the occasional "piss & moan" session, with little if any lasting effect. 

silverback1065

they should rebuild 41's bridges and build the east alternative for 69, and toll 69.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.