News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highways / Signs in Movies, TV Shows, and Videos

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 05:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Movie to close part of I-49 starting Monday

The southbound lane of I-49 from Murphy Street to the ramp at Interstate 20 will be shut down starting Monday for the movie "Battle: Los Angeles." The interstate will be used to stage firefights between movie Marines and aliens from outer space. People in the vicinity will need to get used to hearing automatic gunfire, explosions and seeing lots of smoke as movie crews shoot footage for the big-budget action flick.

Mayor Cedric Glover said this is the biggest film project to come to Shreveport. "We are glad to see the film industry back in Shreveport-Bossier City. This is the biggest one right here, right now."

In addition to I-49, the movie will shoot some scenes on Texas Street in downtown Shreveport and at Barksdale Air Force Base.

florida

Quote from: AARoads on February 11, 2009, 05:44:18 PM
The 6th Street Bridge over the Los Angeles River is also very popular for the shooting of commercials. Mike Ballard toured me around downtown Los Angeles in 2005, showing me just about all of the bridges. Not soon after we took the 6th Street bridge, it appeared in a Dick's Sporting Goods commercial.

Speaking of the 6th Street Bridge, the new season of The Amazing Race is using that as its starting location.

edit: I am not sure how you ended up quoting in yellow, but it is next to invisible on the Button Copy theme so I took out the tags.

edit: the original post is in yellow, at least on the highway theme  ;-)
So many roads...so little time.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

WNYroadgeek

The highway scenes in "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" were filmed on a then unopened US 219 outside of Buffalo.

thenetwork

In response to the CHiPs Question, the majority of the freeway shots were on the I-210 (Foothill Freeway) between CA-118 (Simi Valley Freeway) and CA-2 (Glendale Freeway).

(Now It's time for "Name That Movie")  :paranoid:

- That same stretch of freeway was featured on a movie in which some redneck would run cars off the freeway whenever he played some wild Bluegrass music on his 8-track player in his car or van.?

Other movies (titles unknown):

- There was a movie in which evil trucks circled a truck stop on their own and would kill any humans who tried to escape -- That movie was filmed along an unopened stretch of I-40 between I-95 & Wilmington.  Just remembered -- Maximum Overdrive!!!

- There was also a real cheesy movie (no pun intended) in which there was a guy who drove an exterminator  truck with a giant rat on the roof.  It was filmed in Detroit on the M-10 (US-10) Lodge Freeway between M-8 (Davison Freeway) and M-39 (Southfield Freeway) when that stretch was under major rebuilding in the early to mid 80s.

Chris

In the thriller Joy Ride, the story is mostly set along I-80 in Wyoming and Nebraska, but actually filmed in Nevada and California.

TheStranger

Anyone know where the most boring car chase scene ever (from the terrible Joe Don Baker film "Mitchell") was filmed?  It looks to be the Hollywood Freeway, though I cannot figure out how they were able to get away with going a mere 25-30 MPH onto 101.  :-D
Chris Sampang

PAHighways

The release date of The Road has changed from October 16 to November 25.

PAHighways

mightyace

My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

wandering drive

Quote from: TheStranger on September 02, 2009, 11:25:15 AM
Anyone know where the most boring car chase scene ever (from the terrible Joe Don Baker film "Mitchell") was filmed?  It looks to be the Hollywood Freeway, though I cannot figure out how they were able to get away with going a mere 25-30 MPH onto 101.  :-D
Nope, it's the 405, from Sunset Blvd north to Mulholland Drive. 
Would not have known it was even a chase scene if not for MST3K! 
"Geez, these guys couldn't shake a trolley!" 
"This makes Driving Miss Daisy look like Bullitt!
"I've seen faster funeral processions!"

PAHighways

Quote from: mightyace on October 03, 2009, 07:51:49 PM
Quote from: PAHighways on October 03, 2009, 12:07:51 AM
The newest section of PA Turnpike 43 will be in The Next Three Days and PA 120 and PA 155 will be in Unstoppable.
Now, there's a creative way to raise highway revenues!  :-D

Another way to raise revenues for not only the state but the local areas involved.  Just another industry that has supplanted manufacturing here.

Three Rivers, which debuts tomorrow on CBS, is set in Pittsburgh and parts were filmed in Brownsville.  No idea if any roads are shown.

TheStranger

Quote from: wandering drive on October 03, 2009, 08:35:13 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on September 02, 2009, 11:25:15 AM
Nope, it's the 405, from Sunset Blvd north to Mulholland Drive. 
Would not have known it was even a chase scene if not for MST3K! 
"Geez, these guys couldn't shake a trolley!" 
"This makes Driving Miss Daisy look like Bullitt!
"I've seen faster funeral processions!"

Were they on the Mulholland for the barely-more-climactic run-off-the-road scene?

We've gotta come up with a list for "Highway Appearances in MST3K Experiments" at some point.  :pan: :-D
Chris Sampang

PAHighways

The Fort Pitt Tunnel entrance and obligatory bridge shots along the Monongahela River with the Parkway Central and Boulevard of the Allies in background are in the Three Rivers intro.  The Parkway West approaching the Fort Pitt Tunnel and last gantry before the portal with pre-transition exit numbers was in one of the transitions to commercial break.

Route 30 was filmed along, what else, US 30 in Franklin and Adams Counties.

TheStranger

In the MST3K'd film "Girl in Gold Boots," the one highway scene I recognized shows the BGSes, ca. 1968, at the Ventura Freeway/Hollywood Freeway (134/101) junction in the San Fernando Valley.  :biggrin:
Chris Sampang

mefailenglish

In Patriot Games, there's a car chase scene where the cars go from Riva Road to US 50 via MD 665.  That was actually shot in MD at the correct intersection.  But magically US 50 turned into either the 105 or the 405 (I forget which, it's been a while, but it's near LAX).  Yeah, if you're in LA looking for the Rowe Blvd (MD 70) exit to go back into downtown Annapolis, you'll be looking for a while. 

Brandon

The Amstutz Expressway (IL-137) in Waukegan, Illinois, gets used for many films and TV shows due to its very low traffic counts.  It has one and one-half SPUI interchanges, and an urban feel to the expressway.  Movies in which it has been sued include Groundhog Day, The Blues Brothers, The Ice Harvest, and Batman Begins.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

CanesFan27

The PA Turnpike received $25,000 from Lions Gate Entertainment for 24 hour use of PA Tpk 43 in Fayette County.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/ae/movies/s_646632.html

kurumi

"Sex and the Single Girl" has a car chase along some 1963 LA freeways:

A stretch of "temporary all four lanes one way" road;
A tunnel (hwy 110?)
Sign for "Hopewell" and 3 arrows
8-lane freeways
A black on white sign reading "This freeway will be opened December 10, 1960" with that date crossed out; and four other dates leading up to May 1964 crossed out... followed by a simple "to be announced!"
Old-style white on black signs and construction equipment
Some BGS (or BBS) through a car window that might be readable with a good copy of the film

Some of you might recognize exactly where the scenes are shot. The movie is available on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/stephsayss#p/u/19/Y0KgQLBAJNA - Part 10; start at 6:00
http://www.youtube.com/user/stephsayss#p/u/18/FJ3w871IMPg - Part 11
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Alex

Joel Windmiller passed this note and image along to us yesterday:

From Yours Mine and Ours 1968 Starring Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda.

edit: slightly cleaned-up image put in place of the original vidcap

hm insulators

Quote from: kurumi on October 10, 2009, 02:32:27 PM
"Sex and the Single Girl" has a car chase along some 1963 LA freeways:

A stretch of "temporary all four lanes one way" road;
A tunnel (hwy 110?)
Sign for "Hopewell" and 3 arrows
8-lane freeways
A black on white sign reading "This freeway will be opened December 10, 1960" with that date crossed out; and four other dates leading up to May 1964 crossed out... followed by a simple "to be announced!"
Old-style white on black signs and construction equipment
Some BGS (or BBS) through a car window that might be readable with a good copy of the film

Some of you might recognize exactly where the scenes are shot. The movie is available on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/stephsayss#p/u/19/Y0KgQLBAJNA - Part 10; start at 6:00
http://www.youtube.com/user/stephsayss#p/u/18/FJ3w871IMPg - Part 11

The entire chase scene was filmed on Sepulveda Boulevard (which I believe was California 7 at the time) and an under-construction I-405 through the Sepulveda Pass which connects the San Fernando Valley to West Los Angeles and LAX. This includes the tunnel--it's not any of the California-110 tunnels.

LAX sure looks different today! WOW! :wow:
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

D-Dey65

Quote from: PennDOTFan on February 12, 2009, 04:16:18 PM
Okay, anyone seen the movie The Happening? The scene where they are at that restaurant in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania and they start driving off, that road looks too much like US 322 in the Amish country of PA.

i.c.
The original "The Happening"(no relation to the one you're talking about) had a scene at some Miami-area interchange where a bunch of hippies tease a cop and cause a few wrecks.

For the record, this is the movie I'm talking about:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061748/

In A New Leaf, there's a scene where Walter Matthau is driving his Ferrari around the loop ramp from the southbound Cross Island Parkway to the eastbound Long Island Expressway. I forget whether the gas station between that ramp and the West Alley Road bridge is in that shot or not.

thenetwork

Speaking of Matthau, in "The Fortune Cookie", there is a scene in which they were driving eastbound on the West Shoreway (SR-2/US-6/US20) between Edgewater Park and Downtown Cleveland. 

catkins522

I am looking for a movie in the late 70's or early 80's, may be a B-movie at best.  The engineers are putting in the interstate and is going to miss a highway and the hotel.  So, the manager takes some money and bribes the engineers and put in the off ramps.  Unfortunely, after the manager leaves, they take off the off ramps and pockets the cash.  So, after the interstate gets finished, the manager and the others blows up the bridge.  The people would have to stay the hotel/motel.  In the end, they have got the off ramps and saves the hotel.

Any ideas???

Charles Atkins
catkins522@comcast.net

F350

For a cheesy and scenic road movie, watch the much forgotten "The California Kid" starring a young Martin Sheen driving a hot-rod on CA-2 in the Angeles Crest Hwy section.

I also saw this movie the other night that had James Earl Jones in it titled "Claude" (1974). Some scenes were shot on W 125th Ave in Harlem back in the '70s.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.