News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

^^ That is not exactly true as it says "should" rather than "shall"

2009 MUTCD 4D.12

Guidance:
18 If the posted or statutory speed limit or the 85th-percentile speed on an approach to a signalized location is 45 mph or higher, signal backplates should be used on all of the signal faces that face the approach. Signal backplates should also be considered for use on signal faces on approaches with posted or statutory speed limits or 85th-percentile speeds of less than 45 mph where sun glare, bright sky, and/or complex or confusing backgrounds indicate a need for enhanced signal face target value.

cl94

As far as dark green vs yellow, the New York supplement includes this paragraph:

QuoteSection 4D.12 Visibility, Aiming, and Shielding of Signal Faces

Standard:
19A Signal heads shall be dark green or yellow.

Support:
19B Visibility of signal indications, particularly red indications, is usually more important than visibility of the signal heads themselves. Green signal heads offer greater contrast to the signal indications. Yellow signal heads have application where contrast with the background is considered more important than contrast with the signal indications.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Mdcastle

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 18, 2017, 10:43:59 PM
Taking this thread in a somewhat different direction, does anyone know of any intersections that have any of the following items:

1) Pedestrian signals with an animated eyes display?

2) Unusual/uncommon cluster arrangements, such as:

(<R)(R>)                                  (<R)(R>)                             (R)
            (Y)                       or                 (Y)              or                (Y)   
       (<G)(G>)                                      (G)                          (<G)(^G)(G>)

Standard Doghouse but unusual indications
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA4j7cxx3fI

jakeroot

Quote from: Mdcastle on March 23, 2017, 03:14:04 PM
[youtube video]

Great clip! What a strange setup. How long has the signal been setup this way? Seems awfully redundant.

SignBridge

RestrictOnTheHanger, re: those two photos you posted (a few posts back) from NY-25. In the first one in Commack, where you say the heads are black, they look distinctly dark green to me in the photo, just like the ones in your other photo at Rts. 25A/107. Can't tell for sure about the second photo in Woodbury. And BTW, (not being sarcastic here) I have been recently tested for color-blindness with no deficiencies found.

Also are you guys sure you're talking about the head color and not the backplates?

RestrictOnTheHanger

Quote from: SignBridge on March 23, 2017, 10:01:18 PM
RestrictOnTheHanger, re: those two photos you posted (a few posts back) from NY-25. In the first one in Commack, where you say the heads are black, they look distinctly dark green to me in the photo, just like the ones in your other photo at Rts. 25A/107. Can't tell for sure about the second photo in Woodbury. And BTW, (not being sarcastic here) I have been recently tested for color-blindness with no deficiencies found.

Also are you guys sure you're talking about the head color and not the backplates?

Hmm, next time I drive into Nassau or Suffolk I'll have a second look at the NYSDOT setups. Its been a few months.

Quote from: jakeroot on March 23, 2017, 04:24:06 PM
Quote from: Mdcastle on March 23, 2017, 03:14:04 PM
[youtube video]

Great clip! What a strange setup. How long has the signal been setup this way? Seems awfully redundant.

I wonder if the extra arrows were circular at one point? I agree with Jakeroot,  very strange

Mdcastle

This was an installation on a temporary bypass when the wye at County 61 and 101 (old US 169 and 212) was replaced with a roundabout. 

steviep24

About NYSDOT's traffic signal color from a few posts back.

I took a closer look at the color of signal heads today on newer signals (being a nice clear day) and they are more of a dark olive color rather than black. Many older signals are dark green/hunter green.

In Rochester, NY most of the signals owned by Monroe County are yellow and are otherwise installed to NYSDOT standards.

jay8g

These traffic signal poles and several street light poles in the area seem to have been intentionally installed at a serious angle. The signs and side-mounted signals have actually been installed specifically to counter the angle, which is what makes me think it is actually intentional. I'm not sure what effect they were going for here... but it definitely bothers me.

plain

Quote from: jay8g on April 09, 2017, 10:14:30 PM
These traffic signal poles and several street light poles in the area seem to have been intentionally installed at a serious angle. The signs and side-mounted signals have actually been installed specifically to counter the angle, which is what makes me think it is actually intentional. I'm not sure what effect they were going for here... but it definitely bothers me.

That is definitely intentional. I guess I'm not mad at the design really but at the intersection in your first example that one mast arm over the wider street seems to be low and too close to the edge of the street. Idk it just seems like a rig could hit it if any ever go down that street. That could've been installed a bit further away from it
Newark born, Richmond bred

jakeroot

Was browsing around Street View in the Phoenix area, when I came upon this mast arm near Sky Harbor airport....

It appears to be modelled after those extendable monopods that you might use for a camera (as opposed to a tripod). I doubt it actually extends in a similar manner, but it got me thinking. Are there any mast arms that actually work in this manner (i.e. they extend like a monopod)? Has anyone else seen a mast arm designed like this before? I've posted before (in this thread about four pages back) about mast arms that are way too long relative to the signals mounted to them. This has always been a pet peeve of mine (I'm sure I possess a mild form of OCD), so I love to see mast arms like this, where the intent was clearly to end the mast arm at the farthest signal.

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Revive 755

Quote from: jakeroot on April 14, 2017, 07:47:45 PM
Was browsing around Street View in the Phoenix area, when I came upon this mast arm near Sky Harbor airport....

It appears to be modelled after those extendable monopods that you might use for a camera (as opposed to a tripod). I doubt it actually extends in a similar manner, but it got me thinking. Are there any mast arms that actually work in this manner (i.e. they extend like a monopod)? Has anyone else seen a mast arm designed like this before? I've posted before (in this thread about four pages back) about mast arms that are way too long relative to the signals mounted to them. This has always been a pet peeve of mine (I'm sure I possess a mild form of OCD), so I love to see mast arms like this, where the intent was clearly to end the mast arm at the farthest signal.

It could just be a two piece mast arm.  IIRC some states do allow those, but have requirements for a minimum length of overlap between the two pieces.  I don't know though whether as part of the process the two parts are permanently welded together or permanently attached in some other manner.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Revive 755 on April 17, 2017, 09:03:27 PM

It could just be a two piece mast arm.  IIRC some states do allow those, but have requirements for a minimum length of overlap between the two pieces.  I don't know though whether as part of the process the two parts are permanently welded together or permanently attached in some other manner.

If this is near an airport, they may have had to modify a typical model to shorten the height of the street lamp, with planes flying overhead and whatnot.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

ajlynch91

One of the more unique traffic signals in the Chicagoland area is at Naper Blvd and Plank Rd in Naperville. The standard heads have two reds. This was apparently done to improve visibility as both the North and South approaches to the intersection curve, leading to a number of accidents before the signals were installed. As to how much they've helped, I cannot say for sure as I don't work for Naperville, but they are certainly much more attention grabbing than a traditional 3 section head.

kphoger

Quote from: ajlynch91 on April 20, 2017, 11:10:29 PM
One of the more unique traffic signals in the Chicagoland area is at Naper Blvd and Plank Rd in Naperville. The standard heads have two reds. This was apparently done to improve visibility as both the North and South approaches to the intersection curve, leading to a number of accidents before the signals were installed. As to how much they've helped, I cannot say for sure as I don't work for Naperville, but they are certainly much more attention grabbing than a traditional 3 section head.

Is there still an advance warning sign as well, with flashing lights?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ajlynch91

Yes, immediately before each curve north and south of the intersection.

Super Mateo

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 03, 2017, 10:07:55 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on March 02, 2017, 11:37:04 PM
Damn, that's short. And here I thought these were the shortest [non-ramp meter] signals I've seen: :pan: :no: 
Randall Ave @ Campus Dr: Madison, WI
N Park St @ Johnson St: Madison, WI
Whitney Way @ Old Middleton Rd: Madison, WI

The extremely low signals seem to be considered frequently for pre-signals at railroad crossings, such as on  IL 47 has one in Huntley and there's one on Wood Dale Road in Wood Dale, Illinois.

This one I found in Washington Court House, OH is unusual not only due to its low mounting, but also because it's in Ohio, where I can't recall encountering any stop bar lights.  There's also a sidewalk in front of it, so it wouldn't be hard for a pedestrian to block the view.

Rick1962

It's homemade! Up until 1980 or so, Tulsa fabricated their own truss arm installation out of oil pipe. Did a darn fine job of it, too. Those mast arms in Phoenix (and most of their double-guys) were fabricated in a shop, too.

Here's an example of one of the few remaining truss-arm installations in Tulsa. Zoom in for home-brewed goodness.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1043597,-96.0116321,3a,66.8y,86.87h,86.14t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sxWUpvbNNA7ViUxh6nvbDnA!2e0

jakeroot

Plenty of videos of this around, but I decided to go out and make my own. Here's a HAWK signal in Mill Creek, WA. AFAIK, it was installed in 2011. While observing the signal, I noticed that very few drivers proceeded on flashing red, as is permitted. Perhaps a "proceed after stop on flashing red" sign is in order.

Here's a Street View of this particular HAWK in real life: https://goo.gl/maps/Q17ZrQzTVyv

https://youtu.be/87k7EVo8KkQ

jakeroot

Quote from: Rick1962 on May 05, 2017, 11:59:39 AM

It's homemade! Up until 1980 or so, Tulsa fabricated their own truss arm installation out of oil pipe. Did a darn fine job of it, too. Those mast arms in Phoenix (and most of their double-guys) were fabricated in a shop, too.

Nice! Thanks for the information. I think they look really clean (though not as clean when used in truss-style). Any idea why a city might use this style over the typical steel mast arm? FWIW, the PHX example was installed in 2005/2006.

paulthemapguy

Just wanted to jump in and share this traffic signal photo from the entrance to Arches NP in Moab, UT.  It's a combination of a constant-burning green and an FYA, which I hadn't seen before.  The photo is taken facing south. Left-turning traffic from the left ends up on a left-hand merge ramp that takes up the center lane until it dissipates farther ahead.

UT-US191-ArchesS by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

kphoger

^^  Thanks for posting that.  I should be there in six weeks.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MNHighwayMan

Taking this thread in a somewhat different direction, does anyone know of any intersections that have any of the following items:

(<R)(R>)                                  (<R)(R>)                             (R)
            (Y)                       or                 (Y)              or                (Y)   
       (<G)(G>)                                      (G)                          (<G)(^G)(G>)

Today, I finally got around to getting a picture of this signal, which is your third example (sort of, it's a vertical five stack, not a cluster):

This is the signal for the WB I-35/80 offramp to 86th St in Urbandale. Once I get it uploaded I'll add a video of it in operation, too.

plain

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 09, 2017, 02:34:08 PM

Today, I finally got around to getting a picture of this signal, which is your third example (sort of, it's a vertical five stack, not a cluster):

This is the signal for the WB I-35/80 offramp to 86th St in Urbandale. Once I get it uploaded I'll add a video of it in operation, too.

I've seen one of these back in the day  and I'm almost certain it was in Newport News, Va... obviously LED's wasn't out yet and also I think the Newport News one was wire hung instead of mast arm mounted. And thanks for posting this because I didn't know any agency was still doing this
Newark born, Richmond bred

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.