News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Favorite Interstate

Started by Voyager, January 17, 2009, 11:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voyager

What's everyone's favorite Interstate highway, for whichever reason they choose.

I'd have to say Interstate 80, mostly because I live so close to it!  ;D
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

rawr apples

I have two

I-70 through western Colorado/Utah
and
I-68 in Maryland/West Virginia

beautiful scenery
Now shut up and drivee

burgess87

I live closest to IH 90, the New York State Thruway.  I like it because the speed limit there is 10 MPH greater than most NYS roads.

Voyager

Ha, I've been by the Thruway in Syracuse...it's crazy driving on that thing.

Alex

Interstate 10 has been and still is my favorite. I like a lot of them, but I-10 still is. Connecting California to Florida, I love that...

FLRoads

I would have to say my favorite Interstate is 75, mainly because I actually got to see the southern portion of it get built, since I lived in the Fort Myers area.

deathtopumpkins

I'd have to say I-95. Very long, I know, but its also very varied and is an interesting one to drive on, to say the least. I've been on it from St. Augustine, FL. to Salem, MA, so that's quite a good chunk of it.  ;)
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Tarkus

I'd have to say I-84--the western one.  I'll admit, the interchange from I-84 WB onto I-205 is a total disaster, but the stretch going through the Columbia Gorge is just amazing. 

-Alex (Tarkus)

Alex

Gotta love the Mercer Street Merge!  ;D

Ian

My favorite interstate would have to be either I-95 or I-476. Both right near me. I also love I-93 in NH becuase its a nice drive and goes near my lake house  ;D.

I.C.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alex

Quote from: ComputerGuy on January 18, 2009, 07:43:20 PM
I-93 is nice...only seen pictures though.  ;)

From a beauty standpoint, Interstate 93 definitely ranks high, though the same can be said about Interstate 91 in Vermont and one of my personal favorites, Interstate 89 in Vermont.

Revive 755

Without a whole lot of thought, I'm going to pick I-77, with I-40 being a runner up due to the scenery where it enters North Carolina.

Ian

Quote from: aaroads on January 18, 2009, 08:32:27 PMand one of my personal favorites, Interstate 89 in Vermont.

I like that one as well. I also LOVE I-87/Adirondack Northway. That one is a beautiful drive. Also, my non-interstate favorite highway would be New Hampshire route 16. Thats another nice drive.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Snappyjack

I am a fan of I-10 in Florida. I also enjoy the part of I-81 where you go from Pennsylvania, through Maryland and West Virginia in what seems minutes, and you're in Virginia. The ride through Virginia is very long though, but the cool mountainous section near Tennessee is nice. The "southern portal" as I call it :)

Alex

Quote from: Snappyjack on January 18, 2009, 10:27:01 PM
I am a fan of I-10 in Florida. I also enjoy the part of I-81 where you go from Pennsylvania, through Maryland and West Virginia in what seems minutes, and you're in Virginia. The ride through Virginia is very long though, but the cool mountainous section near Tennessee is nice. The "southern portal" as I call it :)

Interstate 10 in northwest Florida has some of the lowest traffic counts on the route (outside of west Texas). Thats what makes the road enjoyable to me, given that the terrain is monotonous.  :)

Having recently taken Interstate 81 south from Interstate 70 to Interstate 77, I have to reiterate that while scenic, the overwhelming amount of truck traffic on that road makes driving it very frustrating. Trucks passing trucks led to so many clogs of cars queing in the left-hand lane.  >:(

Voyager

Oh yeah definitely, in 2003 when I took 77 to 81 to Syracuse, NY it was so bad the whole way up there. Especially the part of the freeway through the Blue Ridge Mountains, there was so much truck traffic all over the place.

rawr apples

I-81 through Virginia at least will be widened to 3 lanes its entire length. I agree, the drive is beautiful, but all the traffic ruins it. A couple of times, when I had more time to drive I took Skyline drive/Blue Ridge Parkway. A little less direct, and slower, but well worth the view.

I-10 between Gulfport and New Orleans I love, it goes through swamp and is elevated for a bit. its a really fun drive
Now shut up and drivee

Alex

Quote from: rawr apples on January 18, 2009, 11:13:32 PM
I-81 through Virginia at least will be widened to 3 lanes its entire length. I agree, the drive is beautiful, but all the traffic ruins it. A couple of times, when I had more time to drive I took Skyline drive/Blue Ridge Parkway. A little less direct, and slower, but well worth the view.

I-10 between Gulfport and New Orleans I love, it goes through swamp and is elevated for a bit. its a really fun drive

I-10's even better now that they finally paved over the bone jarring concrete in St. Tammany Parish!  :D

deathtopumpkins

I've never noticed the excessive truck traffic, and I travel on 81 periodically (I live in VA :P )

And they do plan to widen it to 6 lanes... so I guess that will eliminate some of that.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Snappyjack

Never have been on I-10 through New Orleans. That is on my list for the future. I have been on the entire length of I-10 in Florida and Alabama, and the first 7 or so miles in Mississippi.

I mostly hate 81 through Virginia due to the length of the trip mostly, but yes, I do agree on the truck traffic. Although all the times I have been on it, it was overnight, so it wasn't TOO bad. 

Scott5114

I like I-635 in Kansas City for some reason.

Whenever I was learning to drive I somehow talked my mom into letting us take a long trip to Amarillo, down to Lubbock, and back via Wichita Falls and Lawton. Which clinched me I-27 of course. So it makes me kinda nostalgic because it was my first 2di and I was learning to drive at the time. Good interstate for that purpose, though...not a whole lot of traffic!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

I really like I-70 in Utah and Colorado, for traditional reasons (scenery!).  I-30 was the first interstate I ever clinched, so that is close to my heart.  (An odd one to do, since I lived in Boston at the time!) 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 19, 2009, 01:59:54 AM
I really like I-70 in Utah and Colorado, for traditional reasons (scenery!).  I-30 was the first interstate I ever clinched, so that is close to my heart.  (An odd one to do, since I lived in Boston at the time!) 

I-70 through the San Rafael Reef area is one of the most beautiful stretches of road I've ever seen in my life. It was then that I felt the west welcoming me for the first time!

roadfro

I-15, the nearest Interstate to me growing up.  Also very cool in AZ through the Virgin River Gorge.

I also have to agree with whoever said I-84 (west) near the Columbia River.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Alex

Quote from: roadfro on January 19, 2009, 02:09:55 AM
I-15, the nearest Interstate to me growing up.  Also very cool in AZ through the Virgin River Gorge.

I also have to agree with whoever said I-84 (west) near the Columbia River.

Both are awesome stretches of freeway. There's not many sections of Interstate that can compete with that back east. Perhaps Interstate 40 through Pigeon River Gorge comes the closest.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.