News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Highest speed limits on 2-lane roads

Started by TheHighwayMan3561, March 27, 2009, 04:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: intelati49 on April 27, 2017, 03:08:47 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 24, 2017, 01:29:20 PM
Quote from: ColossalBlocks on April 22, 2017, 01:10:47 PM
Missouri uses a maximum speed of 60 on major state highways, on Missouri's secondary highways, the maximum is 55, except for M highway.

False.  Missouri posts up to 65 mph on its state highways.  Case in point.

There's also at least a stretch at 65 for US60 in Neosho.

Oh, it's certainly not the only two-lane highway in Missouri with a 65-mph limit.  I've also seen it posted on US-54 east of MO-73.  But I only mentioned MO-96 in case the phrase "state highways" was meant to exclude US highways.

Come to think of it, though, that wouldn't make sense anyway, because MO-13 is posted at 65 mph between Springfield and Clinton, while MO-7 is even posted at 70 mph between there and Harrisonville.  I realize those two highways are four lanes divided, but so is the M Highway I'm assuming he was referring to (the Jefferson County one).  It's just plain wrong, no matter how you read it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bzakharin

I'm pretty sure that the maximum in NJ is 50, though Speed Limit signs on the 2-mile stretch of NJ 73 south of the Atlantic City Expressway (where it narrows from 4 lanes to 2) to Folsom are conspicuously absent. Going south there is no indication of a decrease in speed from that last Speed Limit 55 sign, while going north the last sign is Speed Limit 40, which Folsom is peppered with.

kphoger

Minnesota has apparently been studying the possibility of increasing some of its highways from 55 mph, and two in particular have already been raised to 60 mph.  However, I should note that the 2-lane freeway portion of US-12 west of Wayzata has been 60 mph ever since it was built.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

The Mackenzie Highway in northern Alberta has some 110 km sections, 68 mph for the SI challenged.

oscar

Quote from: kkt on April 27, 2017, 07:33:04 PM
The Mackenzie Highway in northern Alberta has some 110 km sections, 68 mph for the SI challenged.

But some equally boring roads in the territories top out at 90km/h or in NT 100 km/h.

The James Bay highway in northern Quebec is largely at 100km/h, which might be the only two-lane non-Autoroute in Quebec with that limit. It might help that it's locally- rather than provincially-maintained, and the locals know how long it takes to travel between the few communities in their region.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

ftballfan

A whole slew of Michigan two-laners will get boosted to 65 (from 55) in the next few months. Most of those were 65 prior to NMSL

jwolfer

Quote from: bzakharin on April 27, 2017, 05:16:41 PM
I'm pretty sure that the maximum in NJ is 50, though Speed Limit signs on the 2-mile stretch of NJ 73 south of the Atlantic City Expressway (where it narrows from 4 lanes to 2) to Folsom are conspicuously absent. Going south there is no indication of a decrease in speed from that last Speed Limit 55 sign, while going north the last sign is Speed Limit 40, which Folsom is peppered with.
NJ is 50 mph maximum on 2 lane roadsgenerally but a few have 55mph. I know route 72 in Burlington and Ocean Counties is posted at 55.  And CR 539 in Ocean County has 55mph posted

LGMS428

SD Mapman

Wyoming raised a lot of 2-lane roads to 70 mph recently; other Mountain West states have 70 mph 2-lanes.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.