News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minnesota Notes

Started by Mdcastle, April 18, 2012, 07:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

Yeah, it was. I tried to make a trip up there last year on July 30th to get some pictures of it before they began reconstructing it, but I was too late (not sure what I was thinking going that late into summer, but whatever). The old highway was all torn up. I did, however, find these still posted on US-169:

NB

SB

So those were a bit of a consolation prize. The part of MN-66 that ran through Mankato was already posted with Blue Earth CR-1 markers.

froggie

Both routes (93 and 112) are listed on MnDOT's Jurisdictional Realignment Project report from 2014 as turnback candidates, so this doesn't surprise me.  Sounds like MnDOT has come to preliminary agreement with Le Sueur County as to the turnbacks.

The language to change the Legislative Route description for MN 93 to an endpoint "at or near Le Sueur", and the lack of mention of Sibley County in the language, suggests that MnDOT and Sibley County haven't come to an agreement and that MN 93 will possibly end at the county line instead of at US 169.

Another intriguing part of that bill:  elimination of L.R. 101.  I guess they're finally starting to get around to eliminating concurrent legislative routes.  In this case, L.R. 101 was originally added between Faribault and what is now the northwest corner of Lakeville, initially signed as MN 165, and then becoming a rerouted US 65 once it was paved in the 1950s.  It's routing eventually became primarily I-35, I-35E, and a little bit of MN 21.  As the route system is currently set up, L.R. 101 is completely concurrent with C.R. 21 and L.R. 390, so it can easily be removed.

texaskdog

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 13, 2017, 04:32:31 PM
MN 112 being axed could be part of a broader effort to reduce district mileage, since the useless MN 66 was eliminated in the last year or so as well.

You just don't care at all about the people of Good Thunder, do you?

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: froggie on April 13, 2017, 05:44:56 PM
The language to change the Legislative Route description for MN 93 to an endpoint "at or near Le Sueur", and the lack of mention of Sibley County in the language, suggests that MnDOT and Sibley County haven't come to an agreement and that MN 93 will possibly end at the county line instead of at US 169.

So it would run south from MN-19/Henderson, follow US-169 as it does, then turn east toward Le Sueur where it will suddenly end at the bridge, right before it enters town? That would be kind of silly, but also super amusing to see. Much like the ongoing MN-101 saga has been.

Quote from: froggie on April 13, 2017, 05:44:56 PM
Another intriguing part of that bill:  elimination of L.R. 101.  I guess they're finally starting to get around to eliminating concurrent legislative routes.  In this case, L.R. 101 was originally added between Faribault and what is now the northwest corner of Lakeville, initially signed as MN 165, and then becoming a rerouted US 65 once it was paved in the 1950s.  It's routing eventually became primarily I-35, I-35E, and a little bit of MN 21.  As the route system is currently set up, L.R. 101 is completely concurrent with C.R. 21 and L.R. 390, so it can easily be removed.

Because I was unfamiliar with LR 101, I went to look at MnDOT's Legislative Route maps, and found out that it's just not on there. They didn't even bother to label it, if the CR 21 and LR 390 routing is correct.

froggie

Quote from: MNHighwayManSo it would run south from MN-19/Henderson, follow US-169 as it does, then turn east toward Le Sueur where it will suddenly end at the bridge, right before it enters town? That would be kind of silly, but also super amusing to see. Much like the ongoing MN-101 saga has been.

It's even possible that MN 93 would retain its current southern terminus for the time being.  It all depends on whatever turnback agreements MnDOT has come to with Sibley and Le Sueur Counties and the city of Le Sueur.

QuoteBecause I was unfamiliar with LR 101, I went to look at MnDOT's Legislative Route maps, and found out that it's just not on there. They didn't even bother to label it, if the CR 21 and LR 390 routing is correct.

It's correct.  I got a downsized version of MnDOT's TIS database from them some years ago that includes L.R./C.R. designations, and L.R. 101 is completely concurrent with C.R. 21 and L.R. 390.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: froggie on April 13, 2017, 08:01:24 PM
It's even possible that MN 93 would retain its current southern terminus for the time being.  It all depends on whatever turnback agreements MnDOT has come to with Sibley and Le Sueur Counties and the city of Le Sueur.

So what kind of time table are we looking at as far as turnback goes? I know I'm asking this question far too early for this specific case, but I'm not terribly familiar with the overall process itself. I guess the biggest question I have, is how long is it, generally, from when the statute is eliminated to when the signs come down? In the past I've only found out about turnbacks after they've been executed on the ground or maybe just before (MN-5 in Washington County was my lucky one, though it helped that that was around the time I started participating here - I wasn't so lucky for other recent ones, including MN-66, 227, and 235).

Or how does one typically find out about these? I stumbled upon that Senate File by complete accident. Is it really as mundane (and tedious) as just simply checking the legislature's website for transportation-related bills and stuff? MnDOT site? Or what?

TheHighwayMan3561

My guess is it depends on a number of factors, but 1 to 2 years seems to be the average I've noticed. The MN 5 turnback was announced in spring 2015 with the signs coming down in December of that year. I think the DOT and Blue Earth County came to an agreement on MN 66 in fall 2014, but the signs only finally came down last fall.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

froggie

Usually, but not always, the relevant MnDOT district will issue a press release about the impending jurisdictional change, but those are usually close to the turnover time.

Looking at Legislative Route changes in state legislation will give one an idea of what will eventually happen...i.e. what MnDOT is actively pursuing that requires changing an L.R. designation, but is unreliable when it comes to the timing.  For example, removing the former MN 232's L.R. was done in 1996, but the route was only turned back about a year or so ago.  As I mentioned above, it all depends on the agreements between MnDOT and the local jurisdictions and how long it takes those entities to come to those agreements, which often involves the local jurisdiction requesting (if not outright demanding) some sort of improvement to the roadway before they'll agree to take it over.

froggie

This past week was the week that MnDOT announced their 2017 construction season.  As with last year and previous years, here's a series of posts showing current and planned status of interchange, major highway, and major roundabout projects across Minnesota.

We'll start with a list of projects that were substantially completed last year:

MN 5 Mississippi River Bridge - Bridge redecking completed.
US 8/MN 95 near Taylors Falls - Reconstruction of the 8/95 concurrency is complete.  The project included a roundabout at the western US 8/MN 95 junction.
US 14 from west of Nicollet to North Mankato - 4-laning of US 14, including a Nicollet bypass with an interchange at MN 111/CSAH 23, was completed in November.
MN 23 between Jasper and Willmar - MnDOT built passing lanes in 10 locations along MN 23.
MN 25 in Buffalo - Now substantially complete, this project rebuilt MN 25 on the north side of Buffalo, adding a roundabout at 8th St NW/CSAH 12, dual left turn lanes on all approaches at the MN 25/MN 55 intersection, nad widened MN 25 to 4 lanes for about a half mile north of MN 55.
MN 29 near I-94 in Alexandria - This project rebuilt the I-94/MN 29 interchange (moving the westbound ramps closer to the I-94 mainline to provide more space between them and 50th Ave W), built a new roundabout on MN 29 at CSAH 28/CR 87, and widened MN 29 to 4 lanes between the roundabout and I-94.
I-35E from I-94 to Little Canada Rd - This project rebuilt, widened, and slightly realigned I-35E, adding a MnPASS (HO/T) Lane in each direction, replaced the Cayuga Bridge on new alignment, added auxiliary lanes between I-94 and Maryland Ave (for a total of 10 lanes), and replaced the former 3/4 interchange at Pennsylvania Ave with a full folded-diamond interchange at Cayuga St.
I-35E from I-694 to north of County Rd J - This project, now largely complete, expanded upon the above I-35E project to extend the MnPASS Lanes on I-35E to north of I-694.  The northbound MnPASS lane has a gap along the I-694 commons, but begins again north of I-694 and continues up to the Ramsey/Anoka County line at County Rd J.  The southbound MnPASS lane begins at CSAH 96 and is continuous through the 694 commons to downtown St. Paul.  The project also redecked the CSAH 96 bridge over I-35E.
MN 36 at Lexington Ave in Roseville - This project replaced the MN 36 bridges over Lexington Ave, which dated to 1938.  MN 36 was also repaved in the vicinity.
US 52 at US 63/South Broadway in Rochester - Mainly a bridge redecking on the US 52 bridges over US 63, this project also revised the northbound 3rd lane on US 52 so that it began from the on-ramp loop from northbound 63 instead of from the on-ramp from South Broadway.
US 61/MN 97 in Forest Lake - This project realigned the southern 61/97 junction and added roundabouts at both junctions.
US 63 at Olmsted CSAH 16 near the Rochester Airport - This project reconstructed the existing interchange with a wider CSAH 16 bridge over US 63 and added roundabouts at the ramp junctions.
US 75 near Kent - This project relocated a US 75 railroad grade separation near Kent (south of Moorhead) to reduce persistent flooding closures.
I-90 Dresbach Bridge - The project to replace the I-90 Mississippi River bridge (locally called the "Dresbach Brdige" is now substantially complete, with all lanes/ramps open.  The rebuilt interchange at US 14/61 features direct ramps from WB 90 to SB 14/61 and NB 14/61 to WB 90 (the former was previously a 2-intersection indirect connection and the latter had an intersection).  The Mississippi River Trail (USBR 45) is designed so as to avoid any mainline road crossings.
I-94 at US 75 in Moorhead - This project rebuilt the I-94/US 75 interchange as a diverging diamond, and also added auxiliary lanes along I-94 between US 75 and 20th St (east of US 75).
I-94 at 7th St in downtown Minneapolis - This project relocated the westbound I-94 exit into downtown Minneapolis from 5th St to 7th St.  An upcoming project will convert the old 5th St ramp bridge over I-35W into a bike/ped bridge.
MN 96 at Washington CSAH 15/Manning Ave near Stillwater - This county-led project replaced the intersection with a roundabout.
MN 100 in St. Louis Park - This now-completed project reconstructed the last segment of MN 100 needing such, from south of MN 7 to approximately W 26th St.  The project provided a continuous 6 lanes (3 per direction) on MN 100, replaced the ca. 1930s-era bridges over MN 100, reconstructed the MN 7 interchange into a 5-ramp par-clo (loops in the SW/SE quads and a direct SB 100 to WB 7 ramp), and rebuilt the CSAH 5/Minnetonka Blvd interchange into a standard cloverleaf.  Additional auxiliary lanes were built as needed.
US 169 between Mankato and St. Peter - The final of 3 projects addressing flood mitigation in Nicollet County was completed last year.  This project rebuilt segments of US 169 between Mankato and St. Peter to raise them above the 100 year floodplain elevation and reduce future river flooding closures of the highway.
US 169 in Belle Plaine - This "pop-up" project built an overpass over US 169 about 600ft southwest of Scott CSAH 3.  Theoretically, the median crossing at CSAH 3 (which for years had been restricted to left turns off US 169 only) has been fully closed, but I cannot confirm that.
US 212 at Shady Oak Rd in Eden Prairie - This project rebuilt the interchange and added capacity on Shady Oak Rd, but left the basic diamond configuration intact.
MN 250 north of Lanesboro - This project replaced two old overhead truss bridges north of Lanesboro.  The bridges were replaced due to their narrowness and poor condition.
I-494 from I-394 to I-94 - This reconstruction finally finished last year.  It widened I-494 to 3 lanes in each direction, plus a 4th auxiliary lane southbound from 94/694 to Bass Lake Rd.
MN 610 from I-94 to CSAH 81 - The long-awaited extension of MN 610 to I-94 opened in December.  The project effectively completes the MN 610 freeway across the northern suburbs.  The extension completed an interchange at CSAH 81/CSAH 130, added an interchange at Maple Grove Pkwy, and added direct connections to/from I-94 West.  Though proposed, connections from WB 94 to EB 610 and vice versa are not currently funded.

froggie

Ongoing 2017 construction (continued from previous years):

MN 4/MN 30 in St. James - Reconstruction of MN 4/MN 30 through St. James continues this year.  The project includes two mini-roundabouts in downtown St. James.
MN 23 at Kandiyohi CSAH 5 near Willmar - This project is building an overpass for CSAH 5 over MN 23, utilizing the existing grading/fill that was initially built with the Willmar bypass for a planned interchange.  The existing roadway north of MN 23 will remain as the connector road between MN 23 and CSAH 5.
MN 23 in West Duluth - Continuing reconstruction of MN 23 through West Duluth, from Becks Rd to I-35.  Should wrap up this summer.
MN 24 over the Mississippi River - Completion of a new MN 24 Mississippi River Bridge (just downstream of the existing bridge) should wrap up this summer.
I-35W at County Road H in Arden Hills - Part of this project was built last year.  It widens County Road H between I-35W and CSAH 10, removes the southbound on-ramp loop, adds a northbound off-ramp from I-35W that bridges under the WB 10-to-NB 35W ramp, and builds roundabouts at the ramp terminals.
MN 36 St. Croix River Crossing - Continuing construction on the "Stillwater Bridge" replacement, as has been documented in another thread by Monte Castleman.  MN 36 traffic is now using both of the west ramps at the future 36/95 interchange, and closing the gap on the bridge deck was completed 2 months ago.
MN 43 Winona Bridge - The initial plan for this multi-year project involved expanding the MN 43 river crossing by building a brand new bridge for southbound traffic and then rehabilitating the existing bridge for northbound traffic.  The new bridge opened up at the end of last summer, but costs for rehabilitating the existing bridge jumped by $30 million and so the "pause button" was hit.  MnDOT announced in February a preferred alternative for the rehabilitation of the existing bridge, but additional study is needed to see if it still falls within FHWA's record of decision or if additional study is needed....this being because the existing bridge is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places.  So, for now, traffic is 2-lane/2-way on the new bridge.
US 52 at Dakota CSAH 86 near Cannon Falls - To be wrapped up this summer, this project is building an interchange on US 52 at Dakota CSAH 86.  The layout will be a folded-diamond interchange with on-ramp loops.
US 53 relocation near Virginia - This project relocates US 53 on the south side of Virginia so that the adjacent mining company (which owns the land underneath existing US 53) can expand its mine.  US 53 is being relocated to the northeast, including a 1,100ft long bridge over the Rocheleau Pit that will become the tallest bridge in the state.  The project replaces the existing half-interchange at 2nd St with an intersection, but adds a diamond interchange at MN 135 to replace the existing 53/135 interchange.  The bridge is expected to open to traffic by the end of this year.
MN 77 at Cedar Grove (just south of MN 13) - Not a highway project per se but a transit project that impacts the MN 77 freeway.  This project is building an in-line BRT station in the median of MN 77 at Cedar Grove, just south of MN 13.  The roadway configuration is similar to that of the 46th St BRT station along I-35W in Minneapolis.
I-94 in East St. Paul - Primarily a pavement reconstruction project extending out to MN 120, this project includes building an auxiliary lane between downtown and Mounds Blvd, so that upon completion, there will be at least 4 lanes along eastbound I-94 from the 11th St on-ramp downtown out to US 10/61 South.
US 169 from MN 62 to MN 55 - A number of projects were combined into one, with the biggest impact this year.  US 169 is currently completely shut down between Bren Rd and Lincoln Dr in order to replace the bridge over Nine Mile Creek (north of MN 62) in a single year.  The road is expected to be closed until this fall.  Other smaller elements of this project include road/ramp resurfacing and permanently closing the southbound ramps at 16th St (just south of I-394).
US 169 east of Bovey - This project extends the 4-lane section of US 169 on the Iron Range another 1.5 miles, from the Bovey bypass to just east of Itasca CSAH 7.
MN 210 through Jay Cooke State Park - This project, which should wrap up this fall, is rebuilding a section of MN 210 through the park (which is between Carlton and West Duluth) that was washed out during a severe flood in 2012.
MN 371 between Nisswa and Jenkins - This project, which should wrap up this fall, is widening MN 371 to 4 lanes from Nissway to Crow Wing CSAH 16.  The project includes a bypass of Pequot Lakes and a diamond interchange with roundabouts at Crow Wing CSAH 11.
I-694 between Arden Hills and Shoreview - This project is reconstructing I-694 and adding a 3rd lane in each direction between Lexington Ave and Rice St, which will result in a continuous 3 lanes in each direction between US 10 West and I-35E.  The project should wrap up this year.

froggie

New construction for 2017:

MN 1/MN 169 near Eagles Nest Lake - This project was slated for 2016 but got bumped to this year.  It will fully reconstruct MN 1/169 in the Eagles Nest Lake area between Tower and Ely, with about half of it on new alignment south of the existing alignment.
US 2 over the Red River in East Grand Forks - The "Kennedy Bridge" will be redecked this year and into next year.  MnDOT and NDDOT opted to go this route as part of a bridge rehabilitation instead of building a brand new bride.
MN 7/US 71 south of Willmar - The existing rural traffic signal will be replaced with a roundabout this summer.
US 14/MN 15 in New Ulm - Called the "New Ulm Gateway Project", this project involves several items.  It will raise US 14 and MN 15 out of the 100 year floodplain.  It will replace the existing bridges over the Minnesota River and Front St/UP RR with 2-lane structures that can be expanded to 4 lanes in the future.  7th N St will be reconstructed as a 2-lane divided section with left turn lanes between N Broadway (MN 15/68) and the Front St bridge.  The folded-diamond interchange at Front St will be replaced with a one-quadrant access road with a roundabout on US 14/MN 15.  The US 14/MN 15/CSAH 21 junction will be replaced with a diamond interchange along MN 15 with dumbbells at the ramp junctions.  A free-right will be provided for eastbound US 14 through traffic to avoid the dumbbell and the intersection at CSAH 21 South.
I-35W in south Minneapolis - This huge, 5-year project will reconstruct I-35W between 42nd St and I-94, replacing several bridges and with several reconfigurations.  The MnPASS lanes on I-35W will be extended on both sides to 26th St (the existing northbound dynamic shoulder would become a full MnPASS lane).  A median transit station will be built at Lake St.  Two new ramps are added:  a northbound off-ramp to 28th St, and a southbound off-ramp to Lake St.  The flyover from northbound 35W to westbound 94 would be relocated to enter westbound 94 on the left instead of on the right (most ramp traffic stays on 94, and so it'll reduce the weave situation between 35W and Hennepin/Lyndale).  Also, the existing 35W flyover near 24th wouldb e replaced with a fy-under north of Franklin, with southbound 35W merging on the right instead of on the left.
US 52 at MN 58 in Zumbrota - This project will replace the MN 58 bridge over US 52 and add roundabouts at the ramp junctions.
US 52 between Cannon Falls and Coates - MnDOT plans to convert several intersections on US 52 to Reduced-Conflict Intersections (RCI) this year.
US 59 at Becker CSAH 22 south of Detroit Lakes - MnDOT will build a roundabout at US 59/CSAH 22 this year, replacing the current 4-way stop sign.
MN 60 between Windom and Mountain Lake - The last needed segment in a larger 4-lane corridor from the Twin Cities to Sioux City, IA, this project will widen MN 60 to 4-lanes between Windom and Mountain Lake.
US 63 over the Mississippi River in Red Wing - Scheduled to begin this year and last 3 years, the US 63 bridges over US 61 and the Mississippi River will be replaced.  The bridges will be 2-lane spans for now, but with a design that would allow for 4 lanes in the future.  US 63 will also be relocated out of downtown Red Wing, meeting US 61 directly just east of the overpass.
MN 73 at Carlton CSAH 10 in Moose Lake - Part of a series of other improvements around Moose Lake, a roundabout will be built at MN 73/CSAH 10 this year.
MN 73 at St. Louis CSAH 5 in Chisholm - St. Louis County is leading a project to realign CSAH 5 and build a roundabout where it meets MN 73, just north of US 169.
MN 149 over the Mississippi River in St. Paul - Redecking of the Smith Ave "High Bridge" is planned to begin later this year and continue into 2018.
US 169 at Red Oak Dr/Southgate Dr in Aitkin - A roundabout will be built at this intersection in southern Aitkin this year.
US 169 at MN 37 in Hibbing - A multilane roundabout is planned for this junction for this year.

froggie

Lastly, here are some upcoming/future projects (including some unfunded projects):

MN 3 at Dakota CSAH 26 in Inver Grove Heights - Dakota County is leading a project to replace this intersection with a roundabout in 2018.
US 10 in Wadena - Now pushed to 2019, this project will reconstruct an 8-block leg of US 10 through Wadena.  The reconstruction will accommodate a future potential 4-lane cross-section for US 10.
US 12 near Willmar - Though this one is primarily a rail project, I'm including it here because it would realign part of US 12 west of Willmar.  The main project proposes building a new wye rail connection between the BNSF Morris and Marshall Subdivisions, in order to reduce the number of trains reversing through downtown Willmar.  The planned alignment of the wye is parallel to and just east of CSAH 55.  MN 40 would be bridged over the wye, and about 2 miles of US 12 (from 7th Ave NW to 28th St SW) would also be relocated so it could also bridge over the wye.
US 14 between Owatonna and Dodge Center - This long-standing project is currently unfunded, but would fill the last gap in a 4-lane US 14 between Mankato and Rochester.  The approved plan is for a freeway-grade facility being located parallel and just south of the DM&E tracks.  The Steele CSAH 43 intersection would be upgraded to an interchange, and new interchanges would be built at Dodge CSAH 3 and a relocated MN 56 (that would also tie into CSAH 5).
MN 29/MN 55 near Glenwood - Not currently funded, the plan is to replace the existing at-grade intersection with a bridge on MN 29 over both MN 55 and the adjacent Canadian Pacific tracks.  An improved 160th St would make the connection between thet wo routes.
I-35/I-535/US 53 in Duluth - This project would fully reconstruct the I-35/I-535/US 53 "Can of Worms" interchange in Duluth, which has several deficient bridges.  The design would change considerably, though.  Full freeway-to-freeway movements are retained between I-35 and I-535, with all left exits being eliminated from I-35 and replaced with right-side exits.  Access between northbound I-35 and US 53 will be reconfigured into a set of regular diamond ramps with a traffic signal.  The ramps from southbound I-35 to northbound US 53 and to West 27th Ave will also be reconfigured into a single exit...traffic from I-535 and US 53 would no longer be able to directly access West 27th.  MnDOT applied for a FASTLANE grant last year but was turned down.
I-35W over the Minnesota River - MnDOT anticipates replacing the I-35W bridge over the Minnesota River beginning in 2020.  The project would separate northbound and southbound onto separate bridges (shifted slightly east compared to the existing bridge) and add a bike/ped path.  The interchange at Black Dog Rd would remain and be reconstructed.  The new bridge would carry 8 lanes (6 through lanes plus 2 MnPASS lanes).
I-35W/I-494 in Bloomington - Arguably the most congested interchange in the state now, reconstructing the 35W/494 interchange is seen as a high priority but an expensive endeavor.  A turbine-style interchange (except retaining a loop ramp for SB 35W to EB 494) is favored.  Officials are trying to find funding to build the first phase of the project, which would add a 2-lane turbine ramp for NB 35W to WB 494 traffic.  I've seen the cost estimate for that range anywhere from $35 million to $85 million.
MN 36 in North St. Paul - As part of the vision to complete a MN 36 freeway between I-35W and I-694, the last two at-grade intersections (at MN 120 and Hadley Ave) would be converted to interchanges.  Interchange designs are still TBD, though the Hadley interchange is fully funded for 2019 construction and the likely scenario is a folded-diamond to the west.
US 71 at Hubbard CSAH 15 in Park Rapids - Intersection reconstruction is planned for 2018, with a roundabout being the likely solution.
MN 72 at the Rainy River in Baudette - This 2018 project will replace the International bridge connecting MN 72 to ON 11.  The preferred plan will build a new bridge just upstream (east) of the existing bridge.
US 169 at MN 41/CSAH 78 and at Scott CSAH 14 - This is a county-led (and primarily funded) project to add an interchange on US 169 at MN 41/CSAH 78 and an overpass in the vicinity of CSAH 14.  Combined with construction of planned frontage roads, this would bring the freeway section on US 169 south to CSAH 14, where the intersection will be converted to RIRO on each side.  Construction is planned for 2018.  The interchange at MN 41 is planned to be a diverging diamond.
I-694 at Ramsey CSAH 49/Rice St - Reconstruction and upgrading of this interchange has been a high priority for Ramsey County for years, but has been stymied by lack of funding commitment.  The county is looking again at alternatives, including roundabouts and/or a modified single-point interchange similar to what was recently built at MN 36 and Rice St.

TheHighwayMan3561

I don't understand why turning the new 94/610 interchange into a full movement is even being considered, unless FHWA is on their case about it. Saying that's going back the same way you came isn't an exaggeration in the least in this case, as 94 and 610 share 5 interchanges and 7 total crossings with the same roads. It's a waste of money MNDOT doesn't have.

Mdcastle

The pieces of the US 169 bridge
IMG_0535 by North Star Highways, on Flickr

bschultzy

Quote from: froggie on April 15, 2017, 09:43:43 PM

I-35W in south Minneapolis - This huge, 5-year project will reconstruct I-35W between 42nd St and I-94, replacing several bridges and with several reconfigurations.  The MnPASS lanes on I-35W will be extended on both sides to 26th St (the existing northbound dynamic shoulder would become a full MnPASS lane).  A median transit station will be built at Lake St.  Two new ramps are added:  a northbound off-ramp to 28th St, and a southbound off-ramp to Lake St.  The flyover from northbound 35W to westbound 94 would be relocated to enter westbound 94 on the left instead of on the right (most ramp traffic stays on 94, and so it'll reduce the weave situation between 35W and Hennepin/Lyndale).  Also, the existing 35W flyover near 24th wouldb e replaced with a fy-under north of Franklin, with southbound 35W merging on the right instead of on the left.

This will be such a mess for a long time, and hopefully worth it. I'm surprised they're keeping the current ramp configuration with the messy merge between the 31st/Lake ramps and the 35th/36th ramps.

froggie

Needed another ~$30 million to fix that, and the project was already short on funding.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: froggie on April 15, 2017, 09:44:24 PM
Lastly, here are some upcoming/future projects (including some unfunded projects):

I-35W/I-494 in Bloomington - Arguably the most congested interchange in the state now, reconstructing the 35W/494 interchange is seen as a high priority but an expensive endeavor.  A turbine-style interchange (except retaining a loop ramp for SB 35W to EB 494) is favored.  Officials are trying to find funding to build the first phase of the project, which would add a 2-lane turbine ramp for NB 35W to WB 494 traffic.  I've seen the cost estimate for that range anywhere from $35 million to $85 million.
I am just astounded that this project has languished for this length of time. This should have been designed, funded and begun before I moved away from the Cities in 2002. I know the design has gone through a couple of iterations, and the turbine design sounds good to me, but this is such a deficient interchange that I just can't believe it's taken this long. And, apparently, longer because the money still isn't there.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

ET21

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on April 20, 2017, 11:12:19 PM
Quote from: froggie on April 15, 2017, 09:44:24 PM

I am just astounded that this project has languished for this length of time. This should have been designed, funded and begun before I moved away from the Cities in 2002. I know the design has gone through a couple of iterations, and the turbine design sounds good to me, but this is such a deficient interchange that I just can't believe it's taken this long. And, apparently, longer because the money still isn't there.

You'd think such a deficient and nowadays "dangerous" configuration given the growth and traffic, it wasn't put as a #1 priority on both the local and national level
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

froggie

^ At the time, the Crosstown Commons (I-35W/MN 62) was a far higher priority.  Since then, bridge replacement and pavement reconstruction needs have generally driven where upgrades have taken place.

Regarding ET21's comment....the last time I checked, transportation funding at the Federal level wasn't doing all that great, either...

DandyDan

Now that I have officially clinched it, I really have to know why MN 105 was ever in the highway system and why it remains in the highway system.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

froggie

^ The latter is, AFAIK, because MnDOT hasn't approached Mower County yet about turning it back...probably because MnDOT doesn't have much in the way of turnback funds.  This is despite it being a long-time turnback candidate.

No idea why it was added to the system to begin with...my first guess would be an influential local legislator back in the '30s? (MN 105 was authorized in 1933 as part of the first wave of Legislative Routes).

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: froggie on May 06, 2017, 07:58:34 AM
^ The latter is, AFAIK, because MnDOT hasn't approached Mower County yet about turning it back...probably because MnDOT doesn't have much in the way of turnback funds.  This is despite it being a long-time turnback candidate.

The legislative route is still in the books, though, isn't it? (Just checked, it is.) Can MnDOT request that the legislature eliminate one of its routes?

Personal anecdote: I drove MN-105 once during one of my many Des Moines–Twin Cities trips (as a way to ease the dullness of taking I-35 every single time) and thought it was a rather interesting route, albeit a useless one (wish I'd been in my major highway picture taking phase back then–since I wasn't, I would rather like to go back sometime before it really does get eliminated.)

froggie

Yes, the L.R. for MN 105 is still on the books.

MnDOT does request legislative route eliminations as part of the turnback process, if the legislative route in question cannot be rerouted onto other state highways.  This year's legislative "MnDOT Housekeeping Bill" proposes removal of L.R.'s 101, 123, and 225.  Which means we're about to see MN 112 and MN 225 go away.

Keep in mind, though, that the state's Municipal Consent law requires MnDOT to enter into an agreement with the jurisdictions receiving the former state route before it can be turned back.  In point of fact, the language behind the removal of L.R. 123 and L.R. 225 stipulates that it isn't official until MnDOT has received the final turnback correspondence from the respective counties.  For another example, MnDOT has been slow to turn back MN 101 through Carver County because the county has insisted on considerable (and expensive) upgrades before they've agreed to take over the roadway.  Recently, this has included the brand-new and lengthy 4-lane bridge across the Minnesota River floodplain, the roundabout where it meets old US 212 (now Carver CSAH 61), and ongoing realignment and 4-laning of Great Plains Blvd (between old 212 and MN 5).

L.R. 101 is an interesting beast.  Originally created for a more direct route between Faribault and Burnsville (at the time, US 65 followed today's MN 3 corridor through Northfield to Farmington), it has been entirely subsumed by C.R. 21 and L.R. 390 (MN 21 and I-35 respectively).  This is the first case I know of where MnDOT has proposed elimination of a Legislative Route that is completely concurrent with other Legislative Routes or Constitutional Routes.

TheHighwayMan3561

Since I'm not sure anyone else here has shared them yet, here is one of Minnesota's first three (and only as of yet) APL signs:

froggie

I see the second one in the background (just above-right of the red van).  Where's the third?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.