News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, June 18, 2012, 11:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: robbones on July 03, 2016, 06:56:58 PM
Reviving thread

There's a new road being built in Alma, and appears to be a possible AR 162 realignment. It starts at the intersection of US 64 and Mountain Grove Road, crosses US 64B, and the Little Frog Bayou and ending at the intersection of East Main and Henry Streets. I know downtown Alma gets congested when school is in session and when a train rolls through.

I saw construction signs a while back, but no work. Gut feeling was the Frog Bayou 64B bridge was doomed.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

robbones

Quote from: US71 on July 03, 2016, 07:23:44 PM
Reviving thread

There's a new road being built in Alma, and appears to be a possible AR 162 realignment. It starts at the intersection of US 64 and Mountain Grove Road, crosses US 64B, and the Little Frog Bayou and ending at the intersection of East Main and Henry Streets. I know downtown Alma gets congested when school is in session and when a train rolls through.

I saw construction signs a while back, but no work. Gut feeling was the Frog Bayou 64B bridge was doomed.
It crosses just east of the bridge

rte66man

Reviving thread

Did some screen caps from Google Maps:

Closer view of the bridge piers:

Easy to see where the building used to be.  Torn down for new road? 

When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

robbones

Quote from: rte66man on July 03, 2016, 10:31:03 PM
Reviving thread

Did some screen caps from Google Maps:

Closer view of the bridge piers:

Easy to see where the building used to be.  Torn down for new road? 

Yes just clicked on the link below.

On 97/117 of doc or pg 136 of pdf.
Preliminary 2013-16 STIP

US71

I checked out the 162 realignment yesterday: looks like at at-grade 4-way intersection with Bus 64. I wonder if it will be signalized or a 2 or 4-way stop.

The supports are up for the bridge over the UPRR  , but everything else is still playing in the dirt

robbones

Quote from: US71 on August 06, 2016, 09:59:30 AM
I checked out the 162 realignment yesterday: looks like at at-grade 4-way intersection with Bus 64. I wonder if it will be signalized or a 2 or 4-way stop.

The supports are up for the bridge over the UPRR  , but everything else is still playing in the dirt
Driving to mulberry I noticed that south mountain grove rd in Alma is closed and the new road has been widened at the northern terminus. Also road work signs are up just west of the city limits I'm guessing they're building the "virtual" weigh station.

LG-H634

TreeTunnel

A lot of progress has been made on the 162 bypass since the last post in this thread. The section between 64 and 64B has been nearly complete for quite a while now, but has yet to be opened. The beams over the railroad started going in a month or two ago after a long period of little apparent bridge activity.

Traffic signals in various states of completion are at three intersections along the new alignment. The signal on Main St. was powered up and going through phases when I went through downtown about a week or so ago. The signal on 64B appears to be fully erected, but the lamps are still covered in cloth. The signal on 64 is unfinished pending power line work to provide clearance.

This Times Record article has some details and pics regarding the 162 realignment: http://www.swtimes.com/news/20170328/connectivity-focus-in-alma-with-more-sidewalks-and-downtown-boulevard

US71

I was through there a couple weeks ago. Looks like all they have to do is surface the bridge and do a little work to tie in the south end where it connects back to the original highway.

I wonder though if 64B will remain or be re-extended to the 61/71B /162 junction.

robbones

The signal is erected and covered on 64 as well with the road signs by the signal.

Z963VL

US71

Quote from: robbones on May 07, 2017, 07:15:15 PM
The signal is erected and covered on 64 as well with the road signs by the signal.

Time for me to take another look.

bugo

What's with the AR 162 bypass? Where does it run to/from? This is the first I've heard of it.

US71

Quote from: bugo on May 09, 2017, 04:04:59 AM
What's with the AR 162 bypass? Where does it run to/from? This is the first I've heard of it.

Bypasses downtown Alma. Begins at US 64 near Mountain Grove Rd, crosses over the UP railroad,  rejoins current 162 at Henry and Main St. Should be open sometime this Summer.

In related news, the Little Frog Bayou bridge on old 64 is being scheduled for replacement
http://arkansashighways.com/historic_bridge/HB_Bridge_Donation/FY_2017/040721-M1144MarketingDescrip.pdf

Tomahawkin

OT. I have stated this opinion in other Arkansas related interstate post, but should it be time to either install tolls on either IH 40, 55, or future IH 49? Especially since the state claims that it doesn't have money to fund road/infrastructure projects? Thoughts?

US71

Quote from: Tomahawkin on June 16, 2017, 01:49:00 PM
OT. I have stated this opinion in other Arkansas related interstate post, but should it be time to either install tolls on either IH 40, 55, or future IH 49? Especially since the state claims that it doesn't have money to fund road/infrastructure projects? Thoughts?

IIRC, state highway law forbids tolls, except on privately-owned roads.

Tomahawkin

That figures, Bleh

bjrush

Why would you assume it is "time"? The state has kept its roads in decent condition with the funds it has been allocated. Tolling roads just because it is "cool" or "trendy" is not a legitimate basis.

Arkansas needs to right-size its system, not find revenue to maintain its current size
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on June 18, 2017, 12:01:22 AM
Why would you assume it is "time"? The state has kept its roads in decent condition with the funds it has been allocated. Tolling roads just because it is "cool" or "trendy" is not a legitimate basis.

Not entirely correct.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: bjrush link=topic=6952.msg2236137#msg2236137 date=
Arkansas needs to right-size its system, not find revenue to maintain its current size
I would agree with this, not only do they need to refine the system and their methods, they need to maintain what they have a lot better. But,  hey, they most recently resurfaced quite large sections of US 71 through Greenwood and Fort Smith, plus, Fort Smith has has resurfaced large sections of South Y St. And a few others, I do believe.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

US71

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on June 18, 2017, 11:37:20 AM
I would agree with this, not only do they need to refine the system and their methods, they need to maintain what they have a lot better. But,  hey, they most recently resurfaced quite large sections of US 71 through Greenwood and Fort Smith, plus, Fort Smith has has resurfaced large sections of South Y St. And a few others, I do believe.

US 71 below Artists Point is waiting to wash out. There are large gaps and pavement shifts, but all AHTD does is fill them in.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: US71 on June 18, 2017, 12:06:24 PM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on June 18, 2017, 11:37:20 AM

US 71 below Artists Point is waiting to wash out. There are large gaps and pavement shifts, but all AHTD does is fill them in.
They do have a tendency to grout fill gaps. District 4 anyway.

US71, have you reached out to D-4, in regards to Crawford County plans for resurfacing and/or rehabilitation? They were quite understanding with my inquiries.

bjrush

If they just cut the roads with under 2000 vehicles per day from the system, it would be cut to 7,000 miles. That's a reduction of 60%
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on June 19, 2017, 02:04:28 PM
If they just cut the roads with under 2000 vehicles per day from the system, it would be cut to 7,000 miles. That's a reduction of 60%

I have a problem with all these half-mile industrial roads

Road Hog

All that does is shift the financial burden onto the counties to keep up these roads. If the state grants funds to counties for road maintenance, then it's only a partial solution.

US71

Quote from: Road Hog on June 19, 2017, 07:16:51 PM

All that does is shift the financial burden onto the counties to keep up these roads. If the state grants funds to counties for road maintenance, then it's only a partial solution.
AHTD has no problem upgrading highways, then dumping them back on the counties and municipalities.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

The counties can handle much more than they have responsibility over right now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.