News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Signs With Design Errors

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, June 29, 2012, 08:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Kniwt on March 28, 2017, 12:04:13 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 27, 2017, 11:49:43 PM
Nice, I can't remember the last time I actually used I-40 between Amboy Road and U.S. 95.  Maybe that will be a good enough excuse to stick to the Interstate. 

66 is closed (again) east of Kelbaker Road:
http://www.highlandnews.net/news/public_safety/road-closure-on-national-trails-highway-route---amboy/article_a822ece2-fe0b-11e6-adbf-e71e19c1d8e8.html

Really its about time, there are some of those bridges that had very nominal ratings.  At least some money is going into fixing things, last year the Goffs bypass was shut down east out of Essex and I never could find out why. 

freebrickproductions

Kerning, ALDOT! It ain't that hard! Or at least use a thinner Highway Gothic series...
Kerning, ALDOT! by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

I spotted it along US 72 in Scottsboro, AL. The signage appeared to be rather new as well.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

kendancy66

Quote from: Kniwt on March 27, 2017, 05:17:26 PM
Spotted in an I-40 construction zone in California:

There is one like that near where I live for I-5

SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

formulanone

Quote from: freebrickproductions on April 01, 2017, 10:15:55 PM
Kerning, ALDOT! It ain't that hard! Or at least use a thinner Highway Gothic series...

I spotted it along US 72 in Scottsboro, AL. The signage appeared to be rather new as well.

It's been there at least since 2014. At least they didn't use Clearview numerals.

There's a similar kerning issue for an overhead AL 255 shield just south of AL 53 (southbound frontage Road for Research Park Boulevard).

PHLBOS

I would've used Series C for that AL 279 shield.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Eth

The only time I've ever seen Alabama use anything other than Series D on a route marker was on a newly-opened segment of four-lane US 431 south of Phenix City back in the '90s, and I suspect that was contractor signage (especially since they also briefly put up AL 1 markers too).

Scott5114

Quote from: formulanone on April 03, 2017, 09:21:21 AM

It's been there at least since 2014. At least they didn't use Clearview numerals.

There's a similar kerning issue for an overhead AL 255 shield just south of AL 53 (southbound frontage Road for Research Park Boulevard).

The kerning is perfectly fine. What's wrong is that they didn't bother to make sure the numbers fit in the damn shield!

I'm gonna kick this one over to the Worst of Road Signs thread, because come on. :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

I-20 eastbound, approaching I-285...featuring upward arrows:

SignBridge

How the heck does that escape anyone's notice in the design, approval, manufacturing and hopefully a final inspection process? Or does no one care?

freebrickproductions

Quote from: SignBridge on April 19, 2017, 09:53:35 PM
How the heck does that escape anyone's notice in the design, approval, manufacturing and hopefully a final inspection process? Or does no one care?
It's Georgia. It's gonna be the latter, most likely.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

formulanone

Quote from: freebrickproductions on April 20, 2017, 12:20:59 AM
It's Georgia. It's gonna be the latter, most likely.

Well, at least it's the needlessly extra-puffy Series E(M) and less of the mutated Series C/D.

The arrows convey the right idea, but it's one of those things that just ain't right.

SignBridge

I don't mean to imply that these kinds of mistakes don't happen elsewhere. Happens in my native New York State too. Just so surprising that nobody catches it.

jakeroot

Quote from: SignBridge on April 20, 2017, 07:57:13 PM
I don't mean to imply that these kinds of mistakes don't happen elsewhere. Happens in my native New York State too. Just so surprising that nobody catches it.

Is it really a glaring error? I know you aren't too keen on them, but up arrows have been popping up rather quickly since their introduction. This isn't the type of sign that would use it, but it's not like up arrows are all that strange.

1995hoo

Huh? Passed this about 20 minutes ago walking to my car after work. This is outside the Renaissance hotel at 9th St and Mount Vernon Square NW in DC. It's not an exception to the sign above it, which prohibits parking to the viewer's right at all times.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SignBridge

Jakeroot, you should check out the German Autobahn signing. They use a lot of long-stem up arrows and APL on their (blue) signs. It's pretty interesting how they do it. Try this link: www.gettingaroundgermany.info

jakeroot

Quote from: SignBridge on April 21, 2017, 09:39:42 PM
Jakeroot, you should check out the German Autobahn signing. They use a lot of long-stem up arrows and APL on their (blue) signs. It's pretty interesting how they do it. Try this link: www.gettingaroundgermany.info

The Autobahn has some really great signage. Beyond the sign I posted in the "Redesign This" thread, my other inspiration has been Riiga and his APL variations, which in turn was heavily based on both Swedish and German signage.

hbelkins

What, the Georgia sign? What's wrong with it? Nothing that I can see.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SignBridge

hbelkins, have you not noticed that standard practice in the US is for the exit only arrow to point down at the lane as per the Federal Manual standard? This one points upward.

hbelkins

Quote from: SignBridge on April 22, 2017, 08:44:24 PM
hbelkins, have you not noticed that standard practice in the US is for the exit only arrow to point down at the lane as per the Federal Manual standard? This one points upward.

Well, of course I have. But I think it's funny that this oh-so-offensive sign that doesn't conform to some MUTCD purists' visions functions just as well and conveys the same information in the same manner, yet things like this seem to bug so many people.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SignBridge

Well (LOL) if I'm an MUTCD purist, then so be it..........whatever. But seriously, there have been many times on these boards where I've disagreed with some standards in the Manual particularly when it comes to destinations on signs. But I do think that the standards re: arrows are reasonable.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 21, 2017, 05:11:12 PM
Huh? Passed this about 20 minutes ago walking to my car after work. This is outside the Renaissance hotel at 9th St and Mount Vernon Square NW in DC. It's not an exception to the sign above it, which prohibits parking to the viewer's right at all times.

Maybe they should've gone with "No Parking Anytime - Except Tour Buses"?

(They/Them)

formulanone

Quote from: hbelkins on April 22, 2017, 10:38:06 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on April 22, 2017, 08:44:24 PM

Well, of course I have. But I think it's funny that this oh-so-offensive sign that doesn't conform to some MUTCD purists' visions functions just as well and conveys the same information in the same manner, yet things like this seem to bug so many people.

It's just one of those silly little things I wouldn't think twice about until you've seen thousands with downward-pointing arrows.

Scott5114

I'm pretty sure H.B. wants states to have the right to post signs done in MS Word 97, complete with WordArt text and system-default clip art, because he feels the state's rights are more important than either form or function.

Fig. 1: This sign would be perfectly OK with H.B., as long as the Feds had nothing to do with it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 26, 2017, 04:39:18 AM
I'm pretty sure H.B. wants states to have the right to post signs done in MS Word 97, complete with WordArt text and system-default clip art, because he feels the state's rights are more important than either form or function.

img snipped

:rofl:

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 26, 2017, 04:39:18 AM

Just because they have the right to, doesn't mean they will.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.