News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

JMoses24's Road Pictures

Started by JMoses24, January 20, 2013, 04:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMoses24

This is either really new, or has been there a long time. West Galbraith Road just west of Vine Street/Springfield Pike (which is OH State Route 4) in the Hartwell neighborhood of Cincinnati.

JMoses24

One new assembly, and one that's been around for a few years in tonight's photo set.

New signage over 2nd Street in downtown Cincinnati east of Walnut Street.

Closeup of new signage over 2nd Street downtown.

Some older signs over Main Street at Second. Here, Main is known as Joe Nuxhall Way, named after the former Cincinnati Reds pitcher and broadcaster. Please note that the U.S. 50 shield is actually just one that would've been placed on a BGS. (Though I would have been pleased as punch had it been an old cutout.)

JMoses24

A couple from Covington on 10/19/2015:

Fourth and Philadelphia Streets, downtown Covington, KY. That's an old, faded, state name Interstate 71 shield up there on the wire next to a comparatively new I-75 shield. However, those both may soon be unnecessary. In the first image, please note the ground-mounted assembly pointing for the same routes.

hbelkins

Covington used to have a crapload of spanwire-mounted signs, including some very very old US 25-42-127 markers on the hill leading down into town. Here's one of them, long-since gone.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on October 21, 2015, 01:50:15 PM
Covington used to have a crapload of spanwire-mounted signs, including some very very old US 25-42-127 markers on the hill leading down into town. Here's one of them, long-since gone.

I remember these, but not that one specifically. They were definitely around in the early '80s.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

JMoses24

Two photos taken here in Providence this afternoon, 10/28/15. Both are from a skybridge between Providence Place and the Westin Hotel, looking onto the Memorial Boulevard/I-95 interchange.

TravelingBethelite

Great photos! I think the windows really give a sense of framing to the pictures. I also like the "ghostly reflection" of you in the first photo.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

KEVIN_224

Say! I know that bridge quite well!

I still can't see why New London or New Haven can't be used on their I-95 South sign. Those ramps are part of a big circle (of sorts) which involves I-95, US Route 6 and the northern terminus of RI Route 10, which one takes south towards Cranston, RI.

JMoses24

So, I was out and about this week, and knew this set of signs was in an area where I had to go. Both are error shields (should be US 27 and US 127, respectively). This is Central Parkway just north of the point where that road turns from east-west to north-south.

JMoses24

Quote from: hbelkins on October 21, 2015, 01:50:15 PM

I just noticed that was reused... the only question is whether that's a '61 spec or a '48.

KEVIN_224

Is that a TV studio behind the old street light pole? I've never been in Cincinnati, but know they have channels 5, 9, 12 and 19 for starters.

JMoses24

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 17, 2016, 09:29:09 AM
Is that a TV studio behind the old street light pole? I've never been in Cincinnati, but know they have channels 5, 9, 12 and 19 for starters.

That is WCET-TV 48, which is the PBS station. Additionally,  WVXU-FM and WGUC-FM (NPR) are also located in that facility.

KEVIN_224

Thanks! The closest TV studio to me is WVIT-TV (NBC) channel 30 of New Britain, in the Hartford/New Haven market. It's directly off Exit 40 westbound of I-84 in West Hartford. They have a New Britain Avenue (CT Route 71 in parts) mailing address...despite that being on the other side of I-84!

https://goo.gl/maps/jApzgrKCiP32

Zoom out slightly and WestFarms Mall, which opened in 1974, will show up. CT Route 9 and the stack are immediately to the west.

JMoses24

Here are a few more photos taken in the last month along OH SR 4 in Woodlawn, and on a bike path nearby as well.

JMoses24

Quote from: JMoses24 on July 23, 2015, 07:59:02 PM
This is either really new, or has been there a long time. West Galbraith Road just west of Vine Street/Springfield Pike (which is OH State Route 4) in the Hartwell neighborhood of Cincinnati.

This one was still there on April 26, 2016 when I went by.

JMoses24

New set of photos. These are all from I-75 northbound between the Harrison Avenue and I-74 exits in Cincinnati, taken New Year's Day after the Bengals game. Apologies, they're in completely random order.

amroad17

I now see these every day as I am now working on North Bend Rd. just off Exit 14 on I-74.

I do like the reconfiguration of the NB I-75 to I-74 interchange.  Longer off-ramp and a better merge with traffic coming from Central Pkwy and Hopple St.  The I-75 on-ramp from Hopple now stays east of the interchange and uses the renmant of the old on-ramp from Central Pkwy by Cincinnati State.  The ramp from I-74 east to Central Pkwy was mostly demolished due to this new configuration.  Perhaps someone could add a GoogleMaps scan, when available, to the Unused Highways section of Wikipedia showing this.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

JMoses24

Quote from: amroad17 on January 03, 2017, 12:26:44 AM
I now see these every day as I am now working on North Bend Rd. just off Exit 14 on I-74.

I do like the reconfiguration of the NB I-75 to I-74 interchange.  Longer off-ramp and a better merge with traffic coming from Central Pkwy and Hopple St.  The I-75 on-ramp from Hopple now stays east of the interchange and uses the renmant of the old on-ramp from Central Pkwy by Cincinnati State.  The ramp from I-74 east to Central Pkwy was mostly demolished due to this new configuration.  Perhaps someone could add a GoogleMaps scan, when available, to the Unused Highways section of Wikipedia showing this.

I haven't yet had reason to use either the 74W exit or the ramp from Hopple. How's the merge between the two ramps to get on 74W configured? How far past the exit from 75N does the Hopple access ramp merge in?

amroad17

The two-lane  :clap:  off ramp from I-75N to I-74W begins just a tad north of the Hopple overpass.  A two-lane ramp comes down from Hopple.  The left lane merges onto the I-74W ramp just north of the Monmouth St overpass.  The right lane sort of "hugs" the Central Pkwy wall until where the old on-ramp to I-75N was.  From there, the rebuilt on-ramp uses most of the original ramp that also carries the merge from I-74E.  It enters I-75 at the same location it always has--pretty much under the Ludlow Ave bridge.  You can see this new configuration on Google Maps.  Use the map part, the satellite still shows the old configuration.  You can see some of the Hopple ramps on satellite, though.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

JMoses24

A couple of recent photos... after a number of years where I didn't really take any. These were on an excursion along the Oklahoma River North trail's recent extension eastward along (and mostly south of) I-40.

I-40 at I-35. Looking north onto the ramp from W 40 to S 35. No guardrails separate the ramp from the trail. Yikes.

A little east of the first photo, looking onto the E 40/N 35 multiplex.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.