News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NJ - 295/76/42 Construction Projects

Started by jeffandnicole, January 23, 2013, 09:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparker

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 09, 2016, 01:17:30 PM
In typical NJ fashion, rarely (but not never) do they reference Interstates as Interstates, and prefer just to call everything 'Route'. 

Caltrans does the same thing with their legislative definitions of the various routes within the states -- with no delineation of route type.  Interesting reference to "80S", which hasn't been a relevant routing since the beginning of 1964, when I-76 was first commissioned.

SteveG1988

just say 295, or route 130, or route 70. Since no state route, US route, or interstate has a identical number in the state, it works.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

jeffandnicole

Bids finally were received for Contract 3 (of 4) of the construction project, after about a 2 month delay with questions, revisions and amendments.  I also think a few aspects of Contract 2 were moved to Contract 3 due to staging issues. 

The estimated cost of the contract was to be about $230 million.  All 4 bids came in a bit lower, with the apparent winning bid coming in at about $192 million. 

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/business/procurement/ConstrServ/documents/12-20-2016.pdf

Post Merge: December 22, 2016, 06:51:40 PM

Looking thru some of the plans that were made available publically, I took notice of "W3-3, Signal Ahead"...on 295 North!

Apparently for some phases of the construction when they are building the 295 mainline overpass, they'll use traffic lights at the point where temporary 295 North and the 76E to 295N ramp meet to stop traffic for construction activities, as the 295 mainline is constructed over the ramp.  I would guess they would only use this at night...probably in a fashion similar to how lights are used at drawbridges. 

jeffandnicole

Contract 3 has been awarded to the lowest bidder.  Construction generally starts a few months after the bid has been awarded.  In this case, construction of specific segments will also depend on site availability based on Contract 1 (which should be finishing up, if it hasn't already) and Contract 2 (which will be ongoing for a while).

Significant construction and changes during Contract 3 will include building the 295 mainline over 42/76 & Browning Road, after which 295 South will open.  The ramp from 42 North to 295 North will be built & open.  Browning Road will be reconstructed as a longer and higher overpass over 42/76 and under 295.  And several homes will be demolished along 295 South and homeowners will be relocated (not sure exactly how that process works).

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/roads/rt295/pdf/contract3presentation.pdf

bzakharin

It looks like there was a small reconfiguration on I-295 NB between Exit 26 and 28. The rightmost of the two through lanes entering that area is now an Exit Only lane for Exit 28. Previously the lane ended short of that exit. The lane entering from NJ 42 still ends, though. This doesn't affect thru traffic on 295 directly, but may relieve some traffic jams as those headed for Exit 28 no longer need to merge (assuming motorists know this).

danlb_2000

The new ramp from 295 South to 76 West opened over the weekend. All three lanes going south on 295 now go onto the new ramp built right before the Al-Jo curve. The road then expands to four lanes, the left two going to 76 West and the right two continuing onto the Al-Jo curve as before.

More pictures here:
http://i295directconnection.blogspot.com/2017/02/february-2017.html

02 Park Ave

Has a costruction start date been published for the "Missing Moves" project?
C-o-H

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on February 06, 2017, 10:21:51 PM
Has a costruction start date been published for the "Missing Moves" project?

In the 6 month forecast for projects going out to bid, it doesn't appear in the current report thru May.

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/business/procurement/ConstrServ/PlannedAdv/

jeffandnicole

Came across this article, http://www.enr.com/articles/41314-south-jerseys-big-road-fix-rivals-ones-up-north which appears to be mostly related to North Jersey news, regarding the 295/76/42 project.  It's actually a good, well written story with updated info.

It does state the Missing Moves between 295 and 42 won't be until 2019...although the latest info I've seen still puts it in 2017.  That project has had a long history of being delayed though.

Also noteworthy: The historic (or not) house seen around the 295 North curve in the old cemetery now has a blue tarp on its roof.  The tarp doesn't appear to be in that great of condition, although I don't recall seeing it up there all that long.  For a house some preservationist want to save, I can't see that being a good sign as to the condition of the house.

jeffandnicole

Well, this is going to be interesting...

There was an old, maybe historic house at the 295/76/42 construction site at the cemetery, up the hill where 295 North swings away from 76/42  The house was a source of debate whether it was historic or not, and if it should remain or be moved.

Like I said...there "˜was' a house there.  Apparently, and possibly during the night, it was demolished!

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/new_jersey/In-shock-move-Revolutionary-War-landmark-in-South-Jersey-razed.html

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 03, 2017, 11:09:47 AM

There was an old, maybe historic house at the 295/76/42 construction site at the cemetery, up the hill where 295 North swings away from 76/42  The house was a source of debate whether it was historic or not, and if it should remain or be moved.

Like I said...there "˜was' a house there.  Apparently, and possibly during the night, it was demolished!

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/new_jersey/In-shock-move-Revolutionary-War-landmark-in-South-Jersey-razed.html

"I would say this is probably the most irresponsible and despicable action by any government agency I've ever witnessed in my life," he said.

Uh... huh. I'm less inclined to take your side now, Perks. As noted, the house has been significantly altered over the years, so just because it was once a house a few hundred years ago doesn't mean it retains historic character. The NJDOT acted within their rights.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Alps on March 03, 2017, 05:52:01 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 03, 2017, 11:09:47 AM

"I would say this is probably the most irresponsible and despicable action by any government agency I've ever witnessed in my life," he said.

Uh... huh. I'm less inclined to take your side now, Perks. As noted, the house has been significantly altered over the years, so just because it was once a house a few hundred years ago doesn't mean it retains historic character. The NJDOT acted within their rights.

As much as I would like to see historic buildings saved, I can understand the DOT's frustration as they (and every other DOT) are constantly thwarted at every turn by historic preservationists, environmentalists, NIMBYs, etc.  Everything takes forever in this state as there is always some attorney hauling you into court or some state agency (I'm looking at you DEP) falling over themselves to find a way to derail your project.

bzakharin

There was another semi-recent traffic pattern change. Southbound on 295, I-76 is now accessible only from the left lane which then expands to two lanes at the point of the exit. In other words it's now a standard left exit rather than a 50/50 split. Northbound, the right thru lane on 295 once again ends short of Exit 28 instead of being an exit only lane like it has been since the last re-alignment. I assume the underlying reason is some sort of re-alignment on I-76 or ramps involving such, but I only deal with the I-295 and NJ 42 portion of the interchange regularly, so I don't know what's going on there.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on March 15, 2017, 11:23:10 AM
There was another semi-recent traffic pattern change. Southbound on 295, I-76 is now accessible only from the left lane which then expands to two lanes at the point of the exit. In other words it's now a standard left exit rather than a 50/50 split. Northbound, the right thru lane on 295 once again ends short of Exit 28 instead of being an exit only lane like it has been since the last re-alignment. I assume the underlying reason is some sort of re-alignment on I-76 or ramps involving such, but I only deal with the I-295 and NJ 42 portion of the interchange regularly, so I don't know what's going on there.

That was quite an unusual change from what was historically here.  I like it though!

danlb_2000

Most of the work in that area up to this point has been about opening up enough room between the North and South bound 295 lanes to start building the new mainline that will connect the two portions of 295. The ramp to I-76 W that is there now is the permanent new ramp, but when everything is done the ramp to 42 will split off that new ramp, go under 76 and connect on the other side. So when it's done the 76 traffic will stay right and 42 S traffic will stay left.

bzakharin

Quote from: danlb_2000 on March 21, 2017, 10:17:52 AM

Most of the work in that area up to this point has been about opening up enough room between the North and South bound 295 lanes to start building the new mainline that will connect the two portions of 295. The ramp to I-76 W that is there now is the permanent new ramp, but when everything is done the ramp to 42 will split off that new ramp, go under 76 and connect on the other side. So when it's done the 76 traffic will stay right and 42 S traffic will stay left.
I'm not sure I like that. The I-76 exit is a bottleneck during the morning commute, so sharing a two-lane ramp between I-76 and NJ 42 traffic will require NJ 42 traffic to participate in this bottleneck. Currently NJ 42 traffic shares two lanes with thru I-295 South traffic which is considerably lighter.

Also, why should the I-76 exit be a left exit when I-76 West is to the right of I-295 South?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on March 21, 2017, 03:29:35 PM
Quote from: danlb_2000 on March 21, 2017, 10:17:52 AM

I'm not sure I like that. The I-76 exit is a bottleneck during the morning commute, so sharing a two-lane ramp between I-76 and NJ 42 traffic will require NJ 42 traffic to participate in this bottleneck. Currently NJ 42 traffic shares two lanes with thru I-295 South traffic which is considerably lighter.

Also, why should the I-76 exit be a left exit when I-76 West is to the right of I-295 South?

It's not.  Rt. 42 and I-76 will share a ramp, which I believe starts with the right lane coming down from 168 South forming a 4th lane (becoming the right most lane). The right and right-center lanes split off towards the ramp for 42 & 76.  A 3rd lane forms at some point.  The left and center lanes split to the left for Rt. 42 South, and the center and right lanes splits to the right for I-76 West.

The final version is here:  http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/roads/rt295/pdf/ShortlistAltMap-D.pdf . I have seen a graphic showing the final lane striping as well, but it's deep within one of the reports and I can't recall where it is.  It'll also tell me if it's 2 lanes going to this 42/76 exit then becoming, or if a 5th lane starts prior to the 295 & 42/76 ramp making it a 3 lane ramp.

Note temporarily (starting around 2019), the Aljo Curve will eventually be for Rt. 42 South traffic only, when the 295 mainline is first completed.  So for that time 42 will exit to the right and 76 to the left until they get the final phase completed.

As far as 76 & 42 sharing a ramp...it should be able to accommodate it without a problem.  And traffic destined for Rt. 42 eventually has to use a single lane, and 76 traffic, for all intents and purposes, gets by with a single lane (as we are seeing now with the current traffic pattern, even though the ramp becomes 2 lanes...with the right lane exiting just after meeting with 76).

jeffandnicole

As mentioned a few weeks ago NJDOT came in and tore down the maybe/maybe not historic Hugg-Harrison house that sat in the way of this construction project.  Other than several articles that day and the following week, there hasn't been too much news.  The tri-county Courier Post newspaper, which really dislikes anything done by the state, has tried to maintain the voice of those who cared about the house, and has printed a few letters to the editor.  There's also a Facebook page that the group keeps public that I've been looking at, which usually has pretty comical posts and responses, most of which are directed at trying to kick NJDOT's commissioner out of office, send him to jail, etc.  Many state that the house was removed for a soundwall...which isn't exactly the whole story. It appear the roadway will come very close to, if not go right thru, where the house stood.

Most telling is the fundraising page they have set up.  Even after everything happened, not a single donation has been collected.  One post I saw said that the money collected which originally started 11 months ago with the intention of saving the house (and was over 80% short of its meager $10,000 goal) has been quickly spent on lawyers and other stuff...and they were trying to raise more money.  But again, not a penny was raised.  If the public...and even those highly upset about the house's removal...cared, you would've thought a few more dollars would've been raised.

The location of the house has been cleared, and a temporary fence put up.  NJDOT was supposed to turn over some of the items saved from the house last week to the historical organization, but decided at the last minute not to stating that as there may be a lawsuit over the issue, they need to hold onto it.

The governor's office did reach out to Bellmawr to get their side of the situation and wanted some documents pertaining to the issue.  Whether they proceed with anything on their end is unknown.

Overall, compared to some issues in this state, this one hasn't really received much support.  Articles where commenters can post anonymously have been about 50/50 for or against the actions by NJDOT...which is quite telling as most commentators are highly against anything NJDOT does.

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 21, 2017, 08:12:14 PM
As far as 76 & 42 sharing a ramp...it should be able to accommodate it without a problem.  And traffic destined for Rt. 42 eventually has to use a single lane, and 76 traffic, for all intents and purposes, gets by with a single lane (as we are seeing now with the current traffic pattern, even though the ramp becomes 2 lanes...with the right lane exiting just after meeting with 76).
I can only offer my subjective observations as a commuter. In the morning, traveling on I-295 South, there is often a backup, sometimes 5 miles long, approaching the I-76 exit. At least half the traffic exits here and the backup essentially ends. The Aljo Curve is at speed (admittedly 35 MPH) or faster. Only a small fraction of traffic (including me) uses the one-lane exit to NJ 42, and it is quite sufficient for the task. Meanwhile, the ramp to I-76 is only one of three sources of traffic for the busy Walt Whitman Bridge, and is liable to back up.

So the straightening of I-295 and the addition of a third through lane will do little to help with the morning Southbound backups (the evening backups, which are worse, may be helped more). Anything short of widening I-295 to 4 lanes on this stretch wouldn't do much. Nor will it help the backups on I-76 (same number of entrances, same number of lanes). On the other hand, 76 and 42 sharing a 2-lane ramp will extend the backup for 42-bound traffic to wherever the 42/76 split occurs. Sharing a 3-lane ramp would essentially be the same as today for 42-bound traffic.

danlb_2000

Work has finally started on Contract 3. Land clearing has begun along Essex avenue for one of the two new sections of Bellmawr Park Mutual Housing project that will be used for the buildings that will be displaced by the interchange construction. Work has also started along Browning Road in preparation for the construction of the temporary bridge of 76.

Pictures here:
http://i295directconnection.blogspot.com/2017/04/april-2017.html

jeffandnicole

A public meeting will be held on May 18 to detail some of the changes coming in Contract 3, now underway at this interchange: http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/community/meetings/documents/handout051817kn.pdf .  New bridges include Browning Rd over 76/42, 295 over Browning/76/42 (295 North will open as part of this contract), and the ramp from 42 North to 295 North.

Lately, a lot of tree and land clearing has taken place along 295 South, from the Aljo curve to the 295/42 South Split.  A temporary roadway has been paved for motorists taking a new bridge from 76 East to 295 North (the overpass's concrete deck pour should be taking place this or next week).  And additional work is taking place in Rt. 42's wide median near Creek Rd.

A few weeks ago, a truck loaded with orange juice on 295 North started to tip on the 295 North curve over Rt. 42.  It tipped into the overpasses' sound barrier, gashing and marring quite a bit of the barrier, exposing whatever the white stuff is behind the exposed painted cover, and even some metal.  However, it was sturdy, and probably prevented the trip from tipping over the overpass onto the ramp from Rt. 42.  Video of the traffic report at the time: http://6abc.com/traffic/i-295-reopens-in-nj-after-orange-juice-truck-crash/1923243/

It'll be interesting to see if anyone shows up or makes any noise in regards to the Hugg-Harrison house that was knocked down.  Even though it created some interest, taking a look at a fundraising page set up about a year ago by some 'concerned citizens', the increased publicity did not generate a signal dollar in donations.  For a group that wanted to take the state to court over the issue, they are going to have to fund it on their own dime if they wish to do anything.

jeffandnicole

I stopped by the public meeting tonight, located at a school within the neighborhood that is being most affected by the construction. (You can slightly see the back of the school near the 295/42 Southbound split.)

Normal public meeting - a few panels showing the final project and some images of what the area will look like with sound walls and overpasses.  Other exhibits showed the various phases of the construction.  For most of the people there, they seemed mostly interested in the Browning Road overpass, as that's the road they're on every day.  They will be building a temporary overpass next to the current overpass, in order to demolish and build a new one in its place.  The new overpass will be about the same width, but close to twice the length of the current overpass.  Because of the school in the area, I overheard some people worried about kids walking throughout the construction zone.

The actual overpass, putting 295 over 42, appeared almost secondary on people's minds.  No doubt they'll be a little surprised when the overpass soars over their neighborhood!

danlb_2000

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 18, 2017, 07:27:18 PM
I stopped by the public meeting tonight, located at a school within the neighborhood that is being most affected by the construction. (You can slightly see the back of the school near the 295/42 Southbound split.)

Normal public meeting - a few panels showing the final project and some images of what the area will look like with sound walls and overpasses.  Other exhibits showed the various phases of the construction.  For most of the people there, they seemed mostly interested in the Browning Road overpass, as that's the road they're on every day.  They will be building a temporary overpass next to the current overpass, in order to demolish and build a new one in its place.  The new overpass will be about the same width, but close to twice the length of the current overpass.  Because of the school in the area, I overheard some people worried about kids walking throughout the construction zone.

The actual overpass, putting 295 over 42, appeared almost secondary on people's minds.  No doubt they'll be a little surprised when the overpass soars over their neighborhood!

Wish I had known you were going, I was there to. I may have seen you since I was there for a good bit of time chatting with people. I took pictures of all the plans, not to much we haven't seen before, but I will post them on my blog.

jeffandnicole

I was there about 6-630 or so. Yeah it would've been good to say Hi! I talked to 2 guys for a few minutes, but otherwise it was basically what I had seen online. I'm pretty sure I tripped them up on one thing...the traffic lights they're installing on 295 North in the construction zone. I don't think they really understood their purpose.

danlb_2000

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 10, 2017, 02:11:16 PM
A public meeting will be held on May 18 to detail some of the changes coming in Contract 3, now underway at this interchange: http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/community/meetings/documents/handout051817kn.pdf .  New bridges include Browning Rd over 76/42, 295 over Browning/76/42 (295 North will open as part of this contract), and the ramp from 42 North to 295 North.

Lately, a lot of tree and land clearing has taken place along 295 South, from the Aljo curve to the 295/42 South Split.  A temporary roadway has been paved for motorists taking a new bridge from 76 East to 295 North (the overpass's concrete deck pour should be taking place this or next week).  And additional work is taking place in Rt. 42's wide median near Creek Rd.

A few weeks ago, a truck loaded with orange juice on 295 North started to tip on the 295 North curve over Rt. 42.  It tipped into the overpasses' sound barrier, gashing and marring quite a bit of the barrier, exposing whatever the white stuff is behind the exposed painted cover, and even some metal.  However, it was sturdy, and probably prevented the trip from tipping over the overpass onto the ramp from Rt. 42.  Video of the traffic report at the time: http://6abc.com/traffic/i-295-reopens-in-nj-after-orange-juice-truck-crash/1923243/

It'll be interesting to see if anyone shows up or makes any noise in regards to the Hugg-Harrison house that was knocked down.  Even though it created some interest, taking a look at a fundraising page set up about a year ago by some 'concerned citizens', the increased publicity did not generate a signal dollar in donations.  For a group that wanted to take the state to court over the issue, they are going to have to fund it on their own dime if they wish to do anything.

Here is a picture of the damage to the wall..

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.