News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What is the worst movie you have paid to see in the theatres?

Started by SteveG1988, November 04, 2011, 11:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG1988

For me, it would be the Nightmare On Elmstreet Remake, the only movie i felt like walking out on but couldn't due to being the ride for a friend.

I like bad movies (plan 9 from outer space for example) and i just hated that movie...it was boring, tried to outdo the original movie.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

tchafe1978

For me, it would have to be Best in Show. It was about people who enter their dog in the biggest dog show in the country. Completely, totally, a waste of time and money. My wife wanted to see it, so I blame her for having to see it. I don't know how we made it through the whole thing. It was probably just so we could finish our popcorn.

relaxok

I loved Best In Show ;)

For me, the only two movies I ever walked out of were the worst... Dungeons and Dragons (blame my high school friends) and Death At A Funeral, probably the least funny comedy ever created.

english si

Lost in Space was dire (as an aside, it was the first 12-rated film I saw in the cinema legally - I'd seen a few aged 11. It was also the last one until I was at least 15, when the next age limit comes in).

Alien v Predator was fairly rubbish until the whole cinema started laughing, then it was quite good as a comedy.

I probably saw a lot of bad films when I had a season ticket at the university cinema - AvP was one, and Secret Window was another I remember being awful.

There's Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and the second and third Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

However, Mamma Mia (friend's 21st - I'd not choose) stuck ABBA songs in my head for about 2 weeks afterwards, so it's perhaps the winner.

RoadWarrior56

Battlefield Earth, no contest!!!!  I had read the book more than once and anxiously awaited the movie adoption.  But it was the worst movie adoption I had ever seen.  It has to be one of the worst movies of all time.

Brandon

I would've liked to have seen Mamma Mia in the theatre.  But, then again, I do have quite a few of their albums on CD, and the two cameos were pretty cool, IMHO.   :sombrero:

Worst movie for me?

When a Stranger Calls was bad, A History of Violence wasn't really satisfying.  2012 was bad, really bad, and I'm glad I did not see it in theatres, even the $1 theatre here.  I tend to be every careful with the movies I see in theatres, so I've missed some of the truly bad ones.  I save those for DVD rental or cable.  ;-)
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

J N Winkler

"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

corco

I havent been to a movie theater in the better part of a decade. I guess Phantom Menace wins as the worst I paid to see

Alps

Phantom Menace, without a doubt. But I went with about 75 people, many of whom were in costume and had boffer "lightsaber" fights in the front before the movie started. So it was more about the experience anyway.

formulanone

Empire Records: Imagine a made-for-TV and the crossroads of an after-school special, throw in a few a few f-bombs for "street cred", and you have an idea about how uninspired and predictable  that one was.

Phantom Menace was just a tad disappointing, but there's like a thousand logical reasons and about three valid emotional reasons why it wasn't very good, for which there would be too much wailing and gnashing of teeth to get into.

I go to about two movies a year, nowadays. I don't work up much desire to waste three hours for a plot I've seen many times before, and my brain has a hard time accepting too much absurdity presented as fact, rather than comedy. I tend towards the (Western) animated stuff, lately.

Duke87

The remake of Alice in Wonderland from a couple years ago. Under normal circumstances I never would have gone to see it, but the power was out at our house and my sisters and I were bored.

I suppose the remake of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is also pretty high up there.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

oscar

For something on-topic, I nominate "Speed Zone" (1988).  Wretched, cheap knockoff of Cannonball Run II.

Star Trek V comes close, though.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

triplemultiplex

I can't really count any POS I saw as a teenager since like every teenager, I didn't know what I liked or what was even good.  Some of my favorite action movies from that period are now some of my favorite unintentionally funny comedies.  Like Independence Day or Godzilla.

As an adult, I'd place the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still near the top of movies I paid to see that I didn't like.  Just wasn't good.

I rarely go to movies these days.  If I want to see a movie, I'll download it because I'm a cheapskate and a filthy pirate and the MPAA can suck it.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Alex

This is easy, Turbulence in 1997 and Escape from L.A. in 1996. Both horridly stupid. A bunch of us from work saw Turbulance on a Friday night for something to do, but it was February, which is a notorious month for bad movie choices. It came down to that or the The People vs. Larry Flynt, Turbulance barely won out...

I love Escape from New York and was eagarly anticipating the sequel. What a letdown with stupid special effects, a hokey plot, and a dumb basketball game attempting to replicate the gruesome fight scene between Snake Plissken (Kurt Russell) and wrestler Ox Baker from the first. It was on tv this summer and I rewatched a portion of it to remember how lame it was...

Michael in Philly

Some weird, critically-acclaimed "musical" I forget the name of with Bjork (and Catherine Deneuve, but Bjork's the reason I couldn't take any more, and the reason I put "musical" in quotes).
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

hm insulators

Armageddon. That's the closest I ever came to walking out of the theater mid-movie. :angry: :banghead:
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

relaxok

Quote from: Michael in Philly on November 09, 2011, 10:35:47 AM
Some weird, critically-acclaimed "musical" I forget the name of with Bjork (and Catherine Deneuve, but Bjork's the reason I couldn't take any more, and the reason I put "musical" in quotes).

Dancer in the Dark? :D

I like her in small doses.. Especially when she was in the Sugarcubes (before going solo) but her "I'm so eccentric" thing really got old fast.  She was just in the right place at the right time to work with some really inventive producers.. I never thought much of her vocals

And yes that movie was not good

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

huskeroadgeek

Two come to mind, and both were in situations where I would have seen another movie if I could. The first was the 1987 movie Hunk(I'd be surprised if anybody else has heard of it), and the reason why I saw it instead of another movie was that a friend and I were at a shopping center with 3 theaters and we wanted to see a movie. The other two were rated R and we were underage, so Hunk(rated PG) was the only movie we could see. It was a comedy but it was stupid and one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
The other was the 1992 movie Night and the City, which starred well-known actors Robert DeNiro and Jessica Lange. The only reason why I saw it was because I had intended to go to a midnight showing of Bram Stoker's Dracula on the night it premiered at the same theater multiplex. However, the tickets sold out just before we got to the theater, and since I and the two other people I was with had planned to go to a movie, we decided to go to Night and the City because it was the only other movie showing at the same time. It was one of the most boring movies I have ever seen. I fell asleep at some point during the movie, so I don't even remember much about it, except that it was boring.

PHLBOS

Night Partol, back in 1985, would be the worst movie I ever saw in a theater. 
GPS does NOT equal GOD

texaskdog

The Allnighter....sold on the Susanna Hoffs (Bangles) love scene.  Terrible terrible movie.  Worst movie I walked out of was Nacho Libre.  I love wrestling, Lucha Libre, Jack Black, nothing could go wrong....when I finally did walk out I wished I had half an hour earlier, when I first considered walking out.  Phantom Menace was awful too.  I hear there's an edit that minimizes JarJar Binks that I wouldn't mind seeing.  Six Degrees of Separation was awful too.  Emily Rose was horrible.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

RoadWarrior56

Battlefield Earth............hands down, worst movie I have ever paid to see!!  And yet the book that awful movie was based on is one of my all-time favorites.

NE2

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on November 05, 2011, 08:01:21 AM
Battlefield Earth, no contest!!!!  I had read the book more than once and anxiously awaited the movie adoption.  But it was the worst movie adoption I had ever seen.  It has to be one of the worst movies of all time.
Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on March 20, 2012, 12:10:53 PM
Battlefield Earth............hands down, worst movie I have ever paid to see!!  And yet the book that awful movie was based on is one of my all-time favorites.

what
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.