News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

A Premeturely Uncovered I-86 Shield!

Started by Ian, July 22, 2009, 10:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

Hey all!

First off, all the photos I took of NY 17/Future I-86 east of Binghamton are uploaded.
Here is the album:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Iansignal/NewYorkTrafficSignalsAndRoadSigns#
And here is where it starts (starts on NY 26 in Vestal though):
http://picasaweb.google.com/Iansignal/NewYorkTrafficSignalsAndRoadSigns#5361448516302691778

Now off of NY 17/Future I-86 at exit 100, I saw something very wrong: an uncovered I-86 shield! I-86 isn't even in the area yet! Here is the photo:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Iansignal/NewYorkTrafficSignalsAndRoadSigns#5361449651553362242

On NY 52 in Liberty, NY. Let me hear your thoughts!
Ian
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Michael

I've been on NY 17/I-86 from Painted Post to Elmira and Binghamton to Liberty.  All of the Painted Post-Elmira section is up to standards and is signed accordingly.  It's currently signed from I-90 in Erie, PA to Elmira. It's also up to standard for most of the alignment from Binghamton to Liberty, with the exception of about three one or two mile sections.  It's also signed from Binghamton east, but I don't remember how far.  There's also an I-86 shield at the future eastern terminus with I-87, but I can't find a picture of it.

Chris

Nice pics of I-86. I just discovered Picasa also allows browsing with the arrow keys, very useful. I moved away from Picasa a while ago because of the slow speed and long loading times, but things seems to have improved.

vdeane

Nice photos!  Any idea why I-86 ends at exit 79?  It seems to be interstate standards until the at-grade intersections past exit 84.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Ian

Thanks for the so far comments! I think the reason why I-86 ends there is because of the narrow shoulder beyond it. Also, there is a slow vehicle lane on the right side for a short while. Not sure if thats interstate standards so thats why I think I-86 ends at a random exit.

i
Youtube l Flickr

Alps

Slow vehicle lanes are absolutely I-standard.

Ian

Quote from: AlpsROADS on July 28, 2009, 10:06:43 PM

Oh, well than I couldn't tell you why its not I-86 isn't signed passed exit 79.
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Sykotyk

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 28, 2009, 10:54:36 PM
Quote from: AlpsROADS on July 28, 2009, 10:06:43 PM

as are slow vehicles ...

No doubt, hence the dedicated lanes on hills.

As for Exit 79, I think there was still a driveway/intersection or two just beyond that exit that just recently has been removed, and hence the signage has stopped there despite it still being a freeway further (the lack of sufficient shoulder shouldn't be the criteria to end signage).

My guess is signage will be put up through that stretch once more/most of it to Binghamton is finished.

Sykotyk

vdeane

I think NY has been having to meet interstate standards to the letter with little/no exceptions to get I-86 signed.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

us44mt

There was an uncovered I 86 sign between exits 120 & 119 the other day in the construction zone.

us44mt

Correction. There are 2 I 86/17 assemblies westbound inbetween exits 121 (I-84) and exit 119 (Circleville).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.