News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US-41 Interstate Conversion

Started by ssummers72, February 10, 2009, 09:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordanah1

"Oshkosh"- "Oh, you mean like 'Oshkosh BGosh'?"

GeekJedi

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 27, 2012, 10:03:20 AM
Quote from: Fox 11 News on June 27, 2012, 08:35:20 AM
Some more information on 41 & 45:
http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/local/fox_cities/highway-45-highway-41-interchange-reopens

No there isn't anything "new" about this article that wasn't reported earlier in the thread.  Just a lame attempt to increase your page views.

Yes, because the 10 of us here would make a huge difference.  Cut them some slack.  :rolleyes:
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

on_wisconsin

Quote from: GeekJedi on June 27, 2012, 09:10:02 PM
http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/local/fox_cities/highway-45-highway-41-interchange-reopens

No there isn't anything "new" about this article that wasn't reported earlier in the thread.  Just a lame attempt to increase your page views.
Cut them some slack.  :rolleyes:
Seriousy. Also be happy that a mainstream tv station even knows about us. :nod:
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

SEWIGuy

Quote from: on_wisconsin on June 27, 2012, 11:33:07 PM

Why should I be happy that a mainstream TV station knows about us and posts redundant information???

GeekJedi

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 28, 2012, 10:33:00 AM
Why should I be happy that a mainstream TV station knows about us and posts redundant information???

What if you don't speak for everyone?  I didn't have any problem with their post.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

DaBigE

Quote from: on_wisconsin on June 27, 2012, 11:33:07 PM

Welcome to the "modern" mass media way of reporting. You'll find the same type of reporting in any newspaper project updates as well...the last half of the article is usually redundant from the very first news release. The articles are written so that the copy editor can truncate the story at any point to fit in the space allowed, while still having the story read properly. Many of the same [old-school] methods have unfortunately found their way into electronic media outlets as well.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

SEWIGuy

Quote from: GeekJedi on June 28, 2012, 10:35:33 AM

What if you don't speak for everyone?  I didn't have any problem with their post.

Did I claim to speak for anyone but myself???

SSOWorld

tone it down guys - it was a good post. please keep it civil.  --ms
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alps

Quote from: Master son on June 28, 2012, 11:53:25 PM
tone it down guys - it was a good post. please keep it civil.  --ms
Ha. "Civil." Good engineering joke. :D

Fox 11 News

An update on one of the roundabouts off the U.S. 41 & Mason Street interchange in Green Bay reopening:
http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/local/green_bay/roundabout-at-mason-and-taylor-opening

mgk920

Quote from: Fox 11 News on July 03, 2012, 02:14:25 PM
An update on one of the roundabouts off the U.S. 41 & Mason Street interchange in Green Bay reopening:
http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/local/green_bay/roundabout-at-mason-and-taylor-opening

I wasn't able to get up there today, how's it working out so far?

(My guess, locals will be wondering why the city rejected roundabouts on Military Ave within ten years or so.)

Mike

mgk920

There was a fatal crane collapse accident in the Oshkosh section of the US 41 Construction Geek Zone™ this morning.  It occurred on a bridge on the Lake Butte des Morts causeway.

http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/161434565.html

:no:

More as things develop.

Mike

gbgoose

Quote from: mgk920 on July 03, 2012, 06:40:37 PM
Quote from: Fox 11 News on July 03, 2012, 02:14:25 PM

I wasn't able to get up there today, how's it working out so far?

(My guess, locals will be wondering why the city rejected roundabouts on Military Ave within ten years or so.)

Mike

I live only a few blocks away from the construction, so in the first few days, let's just say it'll be interesting especially with how the Green Bay area feels about roundabouts.  When the whole interchange is done by August 1st, I'll try to post some pics then.

Fox 11 News

The victim in the US41 fatal today has been identified as Joseph Bidler, of Green Bay. He was crushed by the fallen crane. The crane operator, name not released, was taken to Theda Clark Hospital in Neenah.

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/local/fox_cities/at-least-1-injured-in-crane-collapse

pj3970

I wonder if anyone ever thought of rerouting I-55 up I-39 to Beloit, then up I-43 into Milwaukee and Green Bay, then number the new US 41 freeway as a even number I-x55, although trying to renumber the other section of I-55 from I-39 to Chicago would then be the problem...just a thought

JREwing78

Not seriously. I-39 was not even conceived when I-55 got designated. And Chicago would have nothing to do with that plan.

hobsini2

Quote from: Fox 11 News on July 05, 2012, 02:24:29 PM
The victim in the US41 fatal today has been identified as Joseph Bidler, of Green Bay. He was crushed by the fallen crane. The crane operator, name not released, was taken to Theda Clark Hospital in Neenah.

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/local/fox_cities/at-least-1-injured-in-crane-collapse
I wonder why the injured worker was not taken to Mercy Hospital in Oshkosh since it was about 3 miles away from the accident. I thought Mercy had a major trauma center.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

mgk920

Quote from: hobsini2 on July 10, 2012, 05:51:13 PM
Quote from: Fox 11 News on July 05, 2012, 02:24:29 PM

I wonder why the injured worker was not taken to Mercy Hospital in Oshkosh since it was about 3 miles away from the accident. I thought Mercy had a major trauma center.

Theda Clark has a medivac helicopter - a lot easier to get in and out of there than a wheeled ambulance.

Mike

merrycilantro

Anybody have any "inside information" updates on the numbering process for 41? I remember back, it said here WisDOT was in talks with NCDOT on how they managed to have I74/US74 concurrent. More so, I'd be interested to hear any inside information on IDOT as to any debates on I-55, or if/why they're so against it.

My prayers go out to the members of the victim's family.

Thanks all!

triplemultiplex

I reported everything I was told at a PIM back in May.  I've got nothing new regarding the interstate's number.

The new flyover was a real pleasure.  I was too busy snapping photos to enjoy what is probably now the highest view point in Oshkosh (unless you're on the roof of a building at UWO). Crews have made quick work of the old SB bridges on the Butte des Morte Causeway and were busy removing the old pavement as I came through on the 2nd:

Was sad to hear about the accident.  All the times I've driven through that work zone, I likely saw that guy at some point; shit, he could be in that photo somewhere. Just another hard hat in an orange vest going about his day on the job, then something like that happens.  Damn, man.

That bridge doesn't have a formal name, you know.  Obviously it's too soon to discuss, but maybe it could be a fitting tribute?
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Jordanah1

i was just thinking about the causway not having a name....i think the longest middle span should be named the 'Joseph Bidler Memorial Bridge', and the two smaller spans could get named after other community members who died tragicly or something...
"Oshkosh"- "Oh, you mean like 'Oshkosh BGosh'?"

merrycilantro

I agree with that. That would be a nice thing to do for the family. As far as I know, it's only called the "Lake Butte des Morts Causeway", or locally as "the Butte des Morts bridge"...good call!

hbelkins

The I-64 bridges over the Big Sandy River at the KY-WV border (maintained by WV) have been named after two workers who were killed in an accident when the bridges were being rehabbed back in the late 90s.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Fox 11 News

News release from City of Green Bay regarding ribbon cutting:

Mason Street Interchange to Open!
(Green Bay) On Thursday, July 26, 2012, a ribbon cutting ceremony will be held at the Mason Street Interchange on US 41, to mark the upcoming Aug. 1 opening of this important segment of the Wisconsin Department of Transportation's (WisDOT) US 41 Project.

This transportation improvement project included a collaboration between the City of Green
Bay and the Oneida Nation, aimed at designing local artwork for use within the interchange.
The results reflect the diverse character and spirit of community. The re-opening of the Mason Street Interchange paves the way for safe and efficient traffic flow
in the area. Please join the City of Green Bay and WisDOT as they celebrate the return of traffic to this vital business corridor!

When: Thursday, July 26 at 3:00pm
Where: East End of Mason Street Overpass; Rain Location: US 41 Project Offices, Duck Creek
Room, 1940 W. Mason St.

mgk920

Well, that area is definitely on the tour itinerary for my planned roadgeek meet on August 4, perhaps I'll even lead everyone on a few laps of its roundabouts!

:-P

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.