News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-65 downtown crossing

Started by iBallasticwolf2, July 06, 2015, 07:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalanchez71

I will use US 31 the free alternative and wave at all those paying the toll.  If it isn't paid for then don't build it.

hbelkins

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 27, 2016, 02:33:47 PM
I will use US 31 the free alternative and wave at all those paying the toll.  If it isn't paid for then don't build it.

You mean they will wave at you as they pass by while you're stuck in traffic light hell in downtown Louisville trying to get back to the interstate. Will the time you lose be worth the couple of bucks it will cost you?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US 41

Using the I-64 bridge would probably be your best option. The 265/64/264 routing will take you 10 minutes longer, but you'll save $4 and you'll bypass downtown Louisville.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: US 41 on May 27, 2016, 11:33:59 PM

Using the I-64 bridge would probably be your best option. The 265/64/264 routing will take you 10 minutes longer, but you'll save $4 and you'll bypass downtown Louisville.

Everybody should use that bypass and avoid the tolls.  Less traffic for me getting to work.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

dvferyance

Quote from: US 41 on May 27, 2016, 11:33:59 PM

I think $4 is outrageous for such a short stretch of road. I bet there will be a lot of detours because of it.

paulthemapguy

And I suppose you paid for all your cars using cash too?  :D
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

billtm

Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 29, 2016, 04:02:48 PM

Is it rare for people to buy cars with cash? My parents bought their two most recent cars with cash. :confused:

US 41

Quote from: billtm on June 05, 2016, 04:55:09 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 29, 2016, 04:02:48 PM

Is it rare for people to buy cars with cash? My parents bought their two most recent cars with cash. :confused:

I've paid for all my cars with cash. Borrowing money in my opinion is almost the worst decision you as an individual can make.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Avalanchez71

I did pay for my car with cash.

froggie

You guys are missing the point.  His point is the the jurisdictions responsible didn't have the cash to pay for the highway upgrades in the same way you guys paid for your cars with cash.  The only way this project got funded without waiting several more years (or more likely decades in the case of the East End) was to let bonds that will be paid back via the toll revenue.

billtm

Quote from: froggie on June 06, 2016, 10:01:53 AM
You guys are missing the point.  His point is the the jurisdictions responsible didn't have the cash to pay for the highway upgrades in the same way you guys paid for your cars with cash.  The only way this project got funded without waiting several more years (or more likely decades in the case of the East End) was to let bonds that will be paid back via the toll revenue.

Ohhh... now I get it. Well I feel like the East End Bridge is completely necessary, and probably should've been built earlier. But I am much more conflicted about the necessity of the Downtown Bridge. I feel like that project could've been delayed to 2020, I mean 13 lanes is amazing, but I have trouble justifying that many lanes in Louisville in my mind, even if the metro area keeps on expanding.

NWI_Irish96

That line of thinking doesn't work in government when leadership turns over every 2-4 years.  Saving up to buy something isn't realistic the way it can be with a personal budget.

hbelkins

I've never felt the parallel downtown bridge was necessary. Build the I-265 bridge, ban through trucks from the Kennedy Bridge and strongly encourage ALL through traffic to use a crossing other than the downtown crossing, and I think the problem would have been solved.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

2trailertrucker

Quote from: hbelkins on June 08, 2016, 04:04:25 PM
I've never felt the parallel downtown bridge was necessary. Build the I-265 bridge, ban through trucks from the Kennedy Bridge and strongly encourage ALL through traffic to use a crossing other than the downtown crossing, and I think the problem would have been solved.

Sounds good HB, but I like the forward thinking that had the two bridges built.
When Cincy starts rehabbing the Brent Spence bridge, traffic coming from Indy and north will be using the new bridges. Due to the vastness of the bridges in Louisville, there should be little to no delays. No matter how long the Brent Spence project takes, the downtown and East End can handle it easy. Also, I foresee massive backups on I-275 crossing the Ohio River into Kentucky. Volume will be bad, a breakdown on the bridge will be worse.

I also think that building more than you need now or in the future can alleviate a lot of problems 30+ years down the road. The interstate highway system in overburdened now, but when it was designed and built, people thought that it was too much highway.

billtm

Quote from: 2trailertrucker on June 15, 2016, 03:19:08 AM

Sounds good HB, but I like the forward thinking that had the two bridges built.
When Cincy starts rehabbing the Brent Spence bridge, traffic coming from Indy and north will be using the new bridges. Due to the vastness of the bridges in Louisville, there should be little to no delays. No matter how long the Brent Spence project takes, the downtown and East End can handle it easy. Also, I foresee massive backups on I-275 crossing the Ohio River into Kentucky. Volume will be bad, a breakdown on the bridge will be worse.

I also think that building more than you need now or in the future can alleviate a lot of problems 30+ years down the road. The interstate highway system in overburdened now, but when it was designed and built, people thought that it was too much highway.

Right, but I also think there is a limit as to how much you should overbuild, and I think the Downtown crossing just below that limit. (1 lane below, IMHO) By the way, have you ever heard of Naypyidaw, Burma? That is a case of extreme overbuilding. I think Top Gear made a pretty good video about it.

amroad17

Plus, going on I-265 would keep people out of Louisville!  :-D :bigass:
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

codyg1985

Will there be a difference in the price of the tolls between each crossing or will it be the same?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 16, 2016, 07:38:38 AM
Will there be a difference in the price of the tolls between each crossing or will it be the same?

All three bridges (Lincoln, Kennedy, Lewis&Clark) will have the same toll rates.

billtm

Quote from: cabiness42 on June 16, 2016, 08:34:26 AM

All three bridges (Lincoln, Kennedy, Lewis&Clark) will have the same toll rates.

Wait, so the East End bridge will also be called the Lewis&Clark bridge? I thought the US-31 bridge was called Lewis&Clark? :confused:

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: billtm on June 16, 2016, 02:23:55 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on June 16, 2016, 08:34:26 AM

Wait, so the East End bridge will also be called the Lewis&Clark bridge? I thought the US-31 bridge was called Lewis&Clark? :confused:

US 31 = George Rogers Clark

I-265 = Lewis & (William) Clark

tdindy88

So the bridge actually isn't named for Lewis and Clark. The proposal died in the statehouse and apparently Gov. Pence has the final call on what to call it. Apparently there was also some confusion concerns about the name of this bridge and that of the Clark Bridge, and Clark County, and Clarksville and the Lewis and Clark Parkway.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/indiana/2016/03/17/naming-east-end-bridge-hold/81905698/

So if this is right, we're looking at the Jennings, Jefferson or Reagan Bridge?

mvak36

How about just calling it the East End Bridge? Too boring?
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

billtm

Another thing to be named after Reagan? :banghead:

NWI_Irish96

Five of the six lanes of the Kennedy Bridge reopened this morning carrying southbound traffic.  The far right lane, which will be the exit lane for I-64 West, is closed until the reconstruction of the exit finishes next month.  The other five lanes, from right to left, are for I-71 North, I-64 East, Jefferson/Brook Streets and two for thru traffic.

Despite the removal of southbound traffic from the Lincoln Bridge, there are still only three lanes for northbound traffic.  Not exactly sure if any more will open before the final project completion in early December.

Moose

The problem with the tolls on the east end bridge is that they are essentially competing with a route which is equal distant AND FREE.
To Lexington from Indy. The mileage for I 74, I 275, I 75 is about equal distant to the I-65, I-64 route. And if you are in a car, Adding Indiana route 1 puts the first one way ahead.
Adding I 265 in between 65 and 64 wont drop the mileage age due to the east side of Louisville routing.

The downtown bridge, will be more problematic. They are playing a bit of funny business. To get on the 31 bridge from the Indiana side  I-65 requires you exit onto the local lanes way back in Clarksville. All it would take is a little creative removing the 31 shields from the signs to "entrap" folks to getting onto the toll bridge.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.