News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Favorite type of soda?

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 20, 2017, 12:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favorite type of soda?

Coke
9 (14.8%)
Coke zero
5 (8.2%)
Diet coke
1 (1.6%)
Pepsi
3 (4.9%)
Diet Pepsi
6 (9.8%)
Mountain Dew
6 (9.8%)
Sprite
2 (3.3%)
Orange soda
2 (3.3%)
Dr. Pepper
11 (18%)
Other
16 (26.2%)

Total Members Voted: 61

SP Cook

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on August 07, 2017, 12:11:49 PM

Also, I've noticed that Pepsi and Coke are marked as Kosher, I don't know if that applies elsewhere,  and about five years ago there was actually a 'Kosher Pepsi', labelled as such sold to the religious community.

In the regular part of the year, regular Coke can be kosher if the bottler is willing to pay one of the several Jewish orginizations to certify it as such.   Paying up is obviously a different business decision in NYC than in other places.  During Passover, regular Coke is not kosher because it contains corn syrup, so a special "Kosher Coke" is made from real sugar. 

The, at least to me, ironic thing about the two competitors relates to the Arab League's boycott of companies that delt with Israel.  Pepsi, based in NYC and with many prominant Jews in its ownership history, stayed out of Israel and was sold in the Arab world; Coke, based in (then segregated) Atlanta did the opposite.  The boycott ended decades ago, but even today (and outside North America the difference in popularity betwee Coke and its immitator is much greater) one of Pepsi's few bright spots is in Arab countries.

TheHighwayMan3561

Chain pop: Pepsi, occasionally Dr. Pepper.

Craft/mom and pop: Spring Grove Soda Pop. They're based in the town of Spring Grove, MN just a few miles north of the Iowa border. It was love at first sip when I discovered their stand at the MN State Fair a couple years back. They've expanded to distribute their product in a number of Twin Cities grocery stores, though I used it as an excuse to go down to Spring Grove late this winter to pick up some wares. It's the best cream soda I've ever had, by far. I also enjoy their strawberry flavored pop.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

oscar

I'm definitely a caffeinated Diet Pepsi addict, at least in the morning where it's my wake-up beverage instead of coffee. But there used to be some U.S. regional blends I didn't like, and I still don't care for the Canadian blend, so when I travel there I try to bring in enough from the U.S. to get by. I can't stand Diet Coke, and de-caf Diet Pepsi doesn't work for me either.

I also drink a lot of Diet 7-Up in the afternoon/evening, so I don't have enough caffeine in my bloodstream to wire an elephant. For that, I'm less choosy about the brand, and if Diet 7-Up is unavailable or at a much higher price. I can get by with Coca-Cola's Sprite Zero instead.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

SP Cook

Well, Coca-Cola Zero Sugar showed up at my local Kroger. 

It has the same bar code as Coke Zero, meaning it is not really considered a "new" product.  It has a label saying "improved taste".  My opinion?  It does have a very slight flavor difference from the previous, slightly less "artificial sweetener" aftertaste.  My guess is they have varried the ratio of the sweeteners, using more of the more expensive Ace-K, and added a little more phosperic acid.

paulthemapguy

The best cola is the Puma Kola made by Sprecher in Milwaukee, famed for their root beer.  It's awesome because you can actually taste the honey, root extract, and other ingredients in the concoction.  My favorite is probably the seasonal apple-flavored release that Sprecher does each year.  The funny thing is that they brew beer, but I haven't liked a single beer they've produced.  Their sodas is where it's at.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

ColossalBlocks

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

on_wisconsin

Funky Buddha- Floridian
New Glarus- Two Woman
Fulton- Lonely Blon....

Oh, what? Your talking about that carbonated sugar-water stuff... well ummmm....

Anything that doesn't have the words "Diet", "Zero", and/or "Fire" in the name is okay. I guess.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Takumi

Quote from: on_wisconsin on August 14, 2017, 01:26:23 PM
Funky Buddha- Floridian
New Glarus- Two Woman
Fulton- Lonely Blon....
I could go for a craft beer thread.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Takumi on August 14, 2017, 02:55:13 PM
Funky Buddha- Floridian
New Glarus- Two Woman
Fulton- Lonely Blon....

We'd have to ban roadgeekteen from posting in that one. ;)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

paulthemapguy

Could we do a favorite beer thread?  Or would that not be kosher for this forum?
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 14, 2017, 04:20:17 PM
Quote from: Takumi on August 14, 2017, 02:55:13 PM
Funky Buddha- Floridian
New Glarus- Two Woman
Fulton- Lonely Blon....

We'd have to ban roadgeekteen from posting in that one. ;)

Not sure it matters–underage drinkers don't go for craft beer anyway. They go for the cheapest hard stuff they can find to get as smashed as possible. Not that I would know anything about that.  :awesomeface:

formulanone

Funky Buddha- Floridian

Three Degrees of Side Factoid: I went high school with the founder of that company, and he absolutely did it all on his own dime.

Proof that overnight success takes ten years.

Quote from: paulthemapguy on August 14, 2017, 04:55:13 PM
Could we do a favorite beer thread?  Or would that not be kosher for this forum?

Kosher Beer Thread

english si

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 14, 2017, 04:20:17 PMWe'd have to ban roadgeekteen from posting in that one. ;)
Drinking is illegal for under 21s in the US, but surely talking about it isn't ;)

Or are the moralistic prigs that extreme.

Says the guy who could legally drink aged 5...

bandit957

Quote from: english si on August 15, 2017, 04:34:52 PM
Or are the moralistic prigs that extreme.

Actually yes, sometimes.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Indyroads

I prefer Baja Blast. And real colas made the old fashioned way with real cola nut extract.
And a highway will be there;
    it will be called the Way of Holiness;
    it will be for those who walk on that Way.
The unclean will not journey on it;
    wicked fools will not go about on it.
Isaiah 35:8-10 (NIV)

Jardine

sparker

What has gotten my interest in recent weeks -- particularly during our local heat wave a month or so ago -- was a particular drink from Talking Waters called "Classic Lemonade", part of that company's "Sparkling Ice" line of "flavored waters" (i.e., soda!).  It's pretty carbonated, but has maybe the best balance of sweet (it's calorie-free) and tart that anyone has achieved in a carbonated lemonade.  Trouble is that it's not cheap -- a buck for a 17-oz. bottle -- but occasionally Grocery Outlet has gotten their hands on some, and they sell it at half price -- which is when I stock up; maybe 30 bottles at a time.  Good stuff -- highly recommended! 

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JMoses24

Diet Mountain Dew is preferred. I will go for a Diet Coke if I cannot get Diet Mountain Dew.

HB mentioned Ale-8-1, which I have occasionally gone for to soothe my stomach. Another favorite of mine along that same line is Gosling's Ginger Beer (yes, that IS a soft drink, even if its primary use is as part of a mixed alcoholic beverage).

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: JMoses24 on September 25, 2017, 02:51:07 AM
Diet Mountain Dew is preferred. I will go for a Diet Coke if I cannot get Diet Mountain Dew.

HB mentioned Ale-8-1, which I have occasionally gone for to soothe my stomach. Another favorite of mine along that same line is Gosling's Ginger Beer (yes, that IS a soft drink, even if its primary use is as part of a mixed alcoholic beverage).
Any time I've ever had it, ginger beer is sold as a standalone beverage. I've never heard of it as a mixer. I have had alcoholic ginger beer; which is decent, a bit expensive.

P00I

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on September 25, 2017, 07:12:08 AM
Any time I've ever had it, ginger beer is sold as a standalone beverage. I've never heard of it as a mixer. I have had alcoholic ginger beer; which is decent, a bit expensive.

Never had a Dark 'n Stormy or a Moscow Mule?

Edit: Also, ginger beer is sold next to the other mixers at my local supermarket.

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on September 25, 2017, 07:51:26 AM

Edit: Also, ginger beer is sold next to the other mixers at my local supermarket.
No, I'm not one for mixed drinks, I prefer beer and  wine, anyway,  on the rare occasions that I do drink. We have a significant Jamaican population in NYC, and Ginger Beer is a standalone beverage in that culture.

STV100-2

formulanone

Quote from: JMoses24 on September 25, 2017, 02:51:07 AMAnother favorite of mine along that same line is Gosling's Ginger Beer (yes, that IS a soft drink, even if its primary use is as part of a mixed alcoholic beverage).

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on September 25, 2017, 09:01:53 AM
We have a significant Jamaican population in NYC, and Ginger Beer is a standalone beverage in that culture.

Reed's is pretty good, too.

bandit957

Back in the '90s, when this area was in the throes of prohibitionism, I used to think the height of comic genius was to drink root beer, cover up the word "root" on the can, and say, "Look, I'm drinking beer."
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on September 25, 2017, 09:01:53 AM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on September 25, 2017, 07:51:26 AM

No, I'm not one for mixed drinks, I prefer beer and  wine, anyway,  on the rare occasions that I do drink. We have a significant Jamaican population in NYC, and Ginger Beer is a standalone beverage in that culture.

STV100-2

Tried ginger beer once, thinking it would be like ginger ale.  It is, if you put an habanero pepper in there.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.