News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Longest time spent without leaving your house?

Started by Roadgeekteen, June 30, 2017, 08:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SignGeek101

I don't really track that sort of thing. I always like to get out of the house (even just for some fresh air) at least a few minutes everyday (even in the winter and rainy days). So thus my record is probably around the order of a 2-3 days at the most.

JJBers

Uhhh...without going outside...36 hours. Not leaving my property, I dunno, a week?
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

bing101

hotdogPi

Quote from: JJBers on July 01, 2017, 04:21:49 AM
Uhhh...without going outside...36 hours. Not leaving my property, I dunno, a week?

You haven't been locked inside because of a snowstorm or flood for more than 36 hours?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

LM117

About 4 days without leaving the yard. It was back when Hurricane Floyd hit in September 1999. We were living in Warsaw, NC at the time and our whole street got flooded. Directly across from our house was a railroad and a water line broke in the ditch between the railroad and N. Front Street, which didn't help. Water was knee deep. We also lost power. It was rough. My dad was living in Fremont, so we were cut off since the Neuse River had flooded out the US-117 bridges (among everything else). You could piss in that damn river and the sumbitch would flood.

But on the plus side, I did catch a couple of crawdads and a baby bass without leaving the yard. :sombrero:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

oscar

I was essentially housebound for five weeks, following a particularly difficult surgery for a broken ankle. However, my sister drove me to and from a follow-up appointment with my surgeon at least once during that time. She also helped with restocking groceries.

I was off work for those weeks, but I had banked several months of sick leave so I still got paid. That being my second prolonged medical absence in three years, my management started grooming my successors, so they were ready when I had another surgery three years later, and took early retirement two years after that.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Max Rockatansky

I was hotel bound for three days in a blizzard once on a work trip. Really there wasn't a point in leaving the hotel because the roads were closed and they had plenty of food.  The only other time I can remember anything like that before was during Hurricane Bob and a stray Nor'easter when I was a kid.   Disease or injury really never kept from at least going outside at some point, even if it was to get the mail.

JJBers

Quote from: 1 on July 01, 2017, 10:32:50 AM
Quote from: JJBers on July 01, 2017, 04:21:49 AM

You haven't been locked inside because of a snowstorm or flood for more than 36 hours?
Nope, I was outside during Hurricane Sandy
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

Darkchylde

jp the roadgeek

Probably about a week in my house after I got home from the hospital.  Longest I went without going outside was about 3 weeks, with about half of that time spent in the ICU, and a good chunk of the ICU time in a coma. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

1995hoo

I have no idea. Probably some number of days when I was a baby. Even when we've gotten major snow dumps, sooner or later I go outside to clear the driveway and take pictures.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

golden eagle

A little more than 36 hours this past December. I came home from work on a Friday night and didn't even leave my property until Sunday afternoon. I checked my mailbox, which is next to my front door, so I didn't even fully step outside. It was a cold, rainy weekend, so no incentive to leave the house.

Roadgeekteen

Unlike you guys, I was inside during good weather.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JJBers

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 01, 2017, 10:45:15 PM
When it's good outside, I try to atleast go out for 5 minutes or so
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: JJBers on July 01, 2017, 10:53:00 PM
hard when you sleep til noon.

JJBers

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 01, 2017, 10:55:37 PM
I woke up at 12:30 pm, and I was outside for 2 hours
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: JJBers on July 01, 2017, 10:59:33 PM
I leave my Home now, but I did not right after school get out.

JJBers

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 01, 2017, 11:00:29 PM
I went kayaking the day I got out of school
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: JJBers on July 01, 2017, 11:03:21 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 01, 2017, 11:00:29 PM
I went kayaking the day I got out of school
I went to Orange leaf.

sparker

As an adult: 4+ days back in 1999: my girlfriend was recovering from surgery and was pretty much confined to the only place she wanted to be: on the living-room fold-out couch in front of the TV so she could watch her soaps.  Since anything involving physical movement caused her pain, I was "on call" 24 hours/day to take care of her (ironically, she's a nurse!).  At the time, I was working on the first draft of my dissertation, so I laid in groceries for a week, moved my computer to the dining room table (with notes & documents spread all over the rest of the table!), and used the "voluntary house arrest" time to get some writing done.  The afternoon of the 5th day of this I had to get her into the wheelchair and to her doctor's office to remove some stitches -- the return trip was highlighted by a detour to In&Out for a couple of double-doubles!

As a kid:  about 9 days for chicken pox when I was 10; this was a few weeks before my first long cross-country trip (from L.A. to St. Louis via the Colorado Rockies with a return through Oklahoma and the Grand Canyon).

berberry

The only time I can remember it being more than a day is back in 1995 when I got very, very sick and could only with great difficulty and pain get out of bed. The first doctor I saw, my personal physician who'd been seeing me since I was 4, diagnosed me with asthma because I coughed while I was in his office. I remember him personally dunning me a year later, after I'd cussed him out by proxy via his secretary several times, expecting payment. I remember telling him he could could cram that bill up his ass and to go to hell. I told him I had a written statement from another doctor regarding my symptoms at the time, barely 24-hours after I'd seen him. I called him a quack and hung up on him. I never heard from him again.

After I got worse rather than better, I went to the University of Mississippi Medical Center and they gave me a quick diagnosis of hepatitis-C, but the tests they ran came back negative. I continued to get worse. They tested me for AIDS and everything else they could think of but everything else came back negative. After about a week they found some drug, I can't remember what, that brought down my fevers but didn't do me any other good. They recommended a much more expensive test, but I couldn't afford it and never went through with it. So I still don't know what I had, but it was by far the sickest I have ever been.

After all the tests and my decision to give up and fight it with sheer will to live and this drug that was keeping my fever down, I continued to get worse for about another week. It got to the point I was living on jello and water and never leaving my bedroom / bathroom area of the house. For at least a couple days I remember, I didn't even go to the kitchen.

I think I went about eight to ten days without leaving the house. Although like the poster who mentioned above I don't track this sort of thing, I do remember it well because it felt so fantastic to go outside after such a long time.  I missed work for just over six weeks. Thank goodness they kept my job open.

My mother, stepmother, sisters and a couple really good friends came to visit from time to time during that period, and all were a huge help. None of them got sick, so whatever it was it wasn't easily contagious.

roadman

The longest time I spent without leaving my house was almost five days in 1993.  I was sick with the flu between Christmas and New Years.  On New Years Eve, I was felling better, and realized that - apart from some canned goods, I had absolutely no food in the house, so I went out to the supermarket.  Pro Tip - NEVER go to a supermarket late afternoon on New Years Eve, unless you like waiting in absurdly long checkout lines.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Brandon

As an adult, just overnight.  Even blizzards haven't stopped me from leaving the house.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.