News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Dead Malls

Started by The Premier, January 25, 2011, 05:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 21, 2017, 04:12:27 PM
I don't know why anyone would go to a mall. It is boring and you could just buy all that stuff on amazon.

Yes, but you cannot sit around and throw french fries at your friends on Amazon.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: empirestate on May 22, 2017, 01:31:24 AM
I don't know why anyone would go to a mall. It is boring and you could just buy all that stuff on amazon.

Yes, but you cannot sit around and throw french fries at your friends on Amazon.
Throwing French fries sound boring and a waste of food.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Brandon

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 22, 2017, 09:42:47 AM

Still not as boring as sitting on one's ass to look at Amazon on a screen.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

GaryV

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on March 28, 2017, 01:14:30 PM
Northland Mall in Southfield might find a new vocation as pricey condos.
http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?22281-Northland-Mall-s-possible-future-Pricey-condos
http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2017/03/22/southfield-mayor-sees-new-life-northland-mall/99476090/

The City of Southfield may have big dreams for the site.  But if the market won't support the cost of the dream, it won't get done.

Royal Oak still has vacant property at I-696 and Woodward that was used during the construction of 696.  Despite all their grandiose plans for a "Showcase" development, nothing has happened in 3 decades.

In the meantime, they're using the old Northland parking lots for humongous piles of dirt, nearly as high as the building.  I don't know where it's all coming from.  We joke that they're not really going to tear the mall down, they're just going to bury it.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Brandon on May 22, 2017, 01:33:53 PM

At least you do not have to walk.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Brandon

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 22, 2017, 04:56:02 PM

What do you have against walking?  It's good exercise.  Get out, be out, walk around, maybe even run into people, have human interactions.  Can't exactly do that on Amazon and Facebook.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Brandon on May 22, 2017, 05:59:58 PM

What do you have against walking?  It's good exercise.  Get out, be out, walk around, maybe even run into people, have human interactions.  Can't exactly do that on Amazon and Facebook.
boring

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 22, 2017, 06:00:50 PM

boring

This sounds like either a concept that has a generation gap, or is based on having a drivers license vs. not having one.  I know once I got my license, I wanted to get out and be out.  Sure Amazon is convenient, but there's something about going to a brick and mortar store that is good for the sanity of body and mind.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

7/8

Quote from: vdeane on May 21, 2017, 06:11:27 PM
Talk to some girls about women's clothing sizes and you'll quickly understand why malls are still needed (just maybe not to as large a degree).  I refuse to buy clothing online unless it's another item of something I already own or I have no choice.

Even as a guy, I feel the same way, especially for shoes. I went shoe shopping a month ago, and the sizes that fit me ranged from 8 to 9.5. Also, some of the shoes even after trying multiple sizes just didn't feel quite right. I could never do shoe shopping online.

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 22, 2017, 06:39:20 PM

boring

This sounds like either a concept that has a generation gap, or is based on having a drivers license vs. not having one.  I know once I got my license, I wanted to get out and be out.  Sure Amazon is convenient, but there's something about going to a brick and mortar store that is good for the sanity of body and mind.

I feel the same way too. Shopping can be a nice excuse to leave the house.

DTComposer

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 22, 2017, 06:39:20 PM

boring

I think it's partly a generation gap, partly a technology gap. During their heyday, malls were relatively safe, convenient places for teenagers and young adults to congregate and socialize, as well as shop, eat, see movies, etc. That sort of unstructured, in-person social interaction has largely been replaced by online interaction (including forums like this). While that allows people to connect across the world with other people with similar interests, it also has allowed for people (of all ages and stripes) to feel empowered to act in ways they wouldn't dare act in person, and it also has exacerbated the "echo chambers" where one's own biases are reinforced, and where one is encouraged to vilify those who do not agree with them.

This has been somewhat counterbalanced by the general trend of younger generations being more inclusive/accepting/tolerant in an ever-diversifying population, but I am of the opinion that the decrease in face-to-face interactions (even if it's just being in the presence of hundreds of other people in a shopping mall or other public space) ultimately reinforces the polarization of this country.

Bruce

Malls have the potential to be huge redevelopment opportunities if they were sited right to begin with.

Suburban Vancouver's largest malls, mainly Metrotown, Lougheed and Brentwood, are now the center of high-rise suburban residential districts.

thenetwork

With Amazon adding new regional centers throughout the country in order to accommodate "same day delivery", I wonder if it would be out of the realm of possibility to buy out some of these abandoned malls and convert them into Amazon mailing & delivery hubs?  Heck, order online and throw in a customer pick up area and you've got a 21st century Service Merchandise-type store, except it would take up the entire mall space.

I-39

Quote from: Bruce on May 22, 2017, 10:04:47 PM
Malls have the potential to be huge redevelopment opportunities if they were sited right to begin with.

Suburban Vancouver's largest malls, mainly Metrotown, Lougheed and Brentwood, are now the center of high-rise suburban residential districts.

It looks like Charlestowne Mall in St. Charles, IL is heading in that direction as well.

US71

boring
You'll think differently when you're old and fat
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

DaBigE

It's also an interesting place just to people watch.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

renegade

Can we be rid of this kid already, or are we going to let him stink up every topic in the forum?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 25, 2017, 08:27:15 AM
Quote from: renegade on May 25, 2017, 12:02:09 AM
Can we be rid of this kid already, or are we going to let him stink up every topic in the forum?

Inquiring minds want to know.
My opinion. I think malls are boring.

Your opinion is fine.  It's just not related to the topic.

Desert Man

The Palm Springs and Indio fashion malls are abandoned with hardly anything to find in their spaces, the failed Desert Fashion Plaza in Palm Springs was demolished and bulldozed in the 2000s, and the revived Westfield Shoppingtown in Palm Desert (formerly the PD Town Center). Outdoor shopping venues like the Gardens of El Paseo in Palm Desert and the River in Rancho Mirage are good places to hang out in the mild winters, but not the hot summers. I liked the PD Town center better than the Indio fashion mall, but Indio wasn't expensive.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Stephane Dumas

kkt

So you can see colors and textures and try stuff on and see any broken threads before you buy.

thenetwork

In an interesting twist, here is a story of a vibrant mall in Denver that has slipped into a coma for 6 months:

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/05/16/colorado-mills-closed-storm/

roadman65

We had a good one in my area that was not a major mall, but a typical suburban outdoor strip mall.  When Publix moved out we lost what the plaza once had where it was the central place for all shopping.  Then when Walgreens left to open an independent store up the street, it was dead for a while. Just a couple of small stores and a Blockbuster video (remember them lol) on the very end doing some business.

Then even though Big Lots came in as well as Odd Lots it still never went back to the old days.  Those two stores are the biggies while the rest are come and go mom and pop businesses that struggle.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on May 21, 2017, 06:11:27 PM
Talk to some girls about women's clothing sizes and you'll quickly understand why malls are still needed (just maybe not to as large a degree).  I refuse to buy clothing online unless it's another item of something I already own or I have no choice.

It's not just females who have that sort of issue. The kid probably doesn't know this because his mom probably shops for him, but not all brands of men's clothing are cut the same way. For long-sleeve dress shirts, where the size is measured by neck and sleeve length (example, 16.5—33), it's pretty easy to get the right size as long as they tell you whether it's a regular fit, slim fit, etc. But for other stuff where the sizing is "large," "extra-large," etc., unless you know the particular brand, you don't know until you try it on whether it fits. It's a pain in the arse ordering, finding you got the wrong size, sending it back, waiting again, etc., when you could just go to the store. Even pants measured by waist and inseam can fit differently through the leg and crotch (too many of them do not specify the crotch rise, so trying stuff on is still important).

I seldom wear suits these days, but those are one item I will never buy online. They ALWAYS need to be tailored, plus I always have to get "suit separates" for sizing reasons. You go to the store, they can very easily figure out the right size for the alterations you'll need.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Stephane Dumas

I bump this thread by mentionning this thread on Skyscraperpage about dead malls in Canada including some clips posted on Youtube. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=130447&page=35

jeffandnicole

The Burlington Center Mall is all but closed, due to water pipes bursting during an early January freeze.  The township has ordered it closed, and it's unlikely the mall which had very few tenants left anyway will ever reopen.  The Sears store remains open because that wasn't affected, and is owned separately from the mall.  Kinda ironic that of all the Sears closings going on, this one in a dead mall remains!

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2018/01/20/future-unclear-for-shopping-mall-ranked-worst-in-new-jersey/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.