News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US-41 Interstate Conversion

Started by ssummers72, February 10, 2009, 09:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

Quote from: FightingIrish on December 12, 2014, 01:05:21 PM
Quote from: Henry on December 12, 2014, 11:58:40 AM
So now that I-41 is another step closer to becoming reality, how long before we get I-341 in Milwaukee and I-441 in Appleton? (to replace the same-numbered state routes that exist in their respective locations)

TH341 is nowhere near the new I-41. It may be renumbered as TH175, or stay as is. And I highly doubt any of the Stadium Freeway is interstate-eligible.
FYI, TH is used in Minnesota.  WI uses STH for state highways and CTH for county highways.

Fox 11 News

Quote from: SSOWorld on December 12, 2014, 02:16:30 PM
and it won't be signed until Sept 2015.

Really - WHY WAIT!!!???

It appears they may need two things, at least according to the WisDot page:
- A signed environmental document
- Approved formal conversion request package

And the Petri's release said this:
"Once the bill passes Congress and becomes law, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation has stated that nearly all other requirements have been met and Interstate signage could be up by September 2015.  It is prepared to formally seek the Interstate designation from the U.S. Department of Transportation after the legislation passes"

As I said, DOT didn't want to talk to us about it. Maybe it will take that long to get the approval, order the signs and then put them up. Maybe they won't unveil the existing ones until they are all ready?

jprocknow

Here's more info on that:
From WisDOT email to me: ASHTO has given us conditional approval of I-41 based on FHWA HQ approval. FHWA Wisconsin Division has indicated that they would help us send  the well coordinated request package for  approval thru Washington HQ quite quickly after legislation passage.
AASHTO doesn't meet every day for things like this; more like quarterly I think.  Then they have to open the signing project up for bids to see who will do it cheapest/fastest.  Then they have to make the signs.  Yes, some are already up in the Milwaukee area and covered, but that's only a small portion of them.  I don't know how many signs, but I bet they will be the shield-in-the-mile-marker type and those seem to be every 0.5 miles these days.
In summary, prep the approval package, wait for AASHTO to meet to approve it, find somebody willing to do the work, make the signs, put them up.  I'd say nine months is a good estimate.  If they can coordinate with the AASHTO meeting to minimize the time between the package sending and approval, maybe they'll be up sooner.

vtk

I thought AASHTO has already done its part (conditional approval).  Does not "conditional approval" automatically become "approval" once the condition is met?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

jprocknow

Not sure, but to me, conditional approval is "if you do this and this, it's good to go."  This formal request package hopefully outlines everything they did to meet the requirements of conditional approval and then approval is probably a formality at that point.

mgk920

Quote from: Big John on December 12, 2014, 02:26:50 PM
Quote from: jprocknow on December 12, 2014, 12:55:53 PM
Quote from: Henry on December 12, 2014, 11:58:40 AM
So now that I-41 is another step closer to becoming reality, how long before we get I-341 in Milwaukee and I-441 in Appleton? (to replace the same-numbered state routes that exist in their respective locations)

I'm not sure you'll see I-341.  It doesn't connect to it's parent, unless of course WisDOT wants to duplex it on I-94 to the Zoo.  Shh, don't give them any ideas.
I-441 is probably likely.  When, I dunno.  In their reasoning for making the route a 2di instead of 3di, WisDOT said that it designating it I-41 allows auxiliary interstates to branch off.  (Nevermind Tulsa, Oakland, Gaithersburg, MD, or Buffalo)  The major hold up on the designation would be making at least one of the missing ramps, from 441 to SB I-41.  The stub is just waiting for a flyover!  Another could be smoothing the turns east of the Little Butte des Morts Bridge.
They are working on doing those now, with parts currently under construction.

Yepper, a half-billion dollar 5-6 year project, it started this past summer.

See the 'US 10/WI 441 Upgrade Thread!' in this subforvm for the ongoing nitty-gritty on it.

:nod:

Mike

FightingIrish

Looks like it has finally cleared the Senate. Apparently, a couple senators had been holding it up, for unknown reasons.

On Friday, the Senate passed a provision, authored by Sen. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wisconsin, approving the weight restrictions waiver as part of a $1.1 million omnibus spending bill – an action that came as welcome news for U.S. Reps. Tom Petri, R-Fond du Lac and Reid Ribble, R-Sherwood, who proposed similar legislation in the House last year."A couple of senators had put holds on this in the past," said Petri, whose vote on the Housebill marked his last before retiring at the end of this year. "Those holds have been broken, and the process is moving forward."

(snip)

"As soon as this is signed by the president, I'm sure the state will sign the agreement to abide by interstate standards and start putting up the signs from Chicago to Green Bay," he said.

http://www.sheboyganpress.com/story/news/local/2014/12/12/highway-interstate-designation-wisconsin/20319573/

Fox 11 News

Today's DOT release:

Wisconsin Department of Transportation–Northeast Region, Green Bay

December 15, 2014

For more information, contact:
Kim Rudat, WisDOT regional communications manager
(920) 492-5743, kim.rudat@dot.wi.gov

Federal legislation will enable converting US 41 to an Interstate

Governor Scott Walker and Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) Secretary Mark Gottlieb thanked the Wisconsin congressional delegation for their efforts to pass federal legislation to enable the state to continue with plans to convert US 41 to an Interstate from the Illinois border north to Green Bay.

"US 41 connects crucial regions of Wisconsin with economic impacts that benefit local, state and regional economies. Converting the corridor to an Interstate highway will improve safety, mobility and economic development,"  noted Governor Walker. "I appreciate the efforts of Wisconsin's congressional delegation, especially those of Congressman Petri who worked over many years to bring this project to fruition."

WisDOT Secretary Mark Gottlieb said, "The Congressional action will allow us to move forward with the conversion of 175 miles of US Highway 41 to an Interstate highway route."  

The WisDOT plan calls for replacing or modifying 3,500 signs beginning in September 2015 after necessary coordination with the Illinois Department of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration, along with completion of the required bid process.

Benefits of converting to an Interstate highway include:
-   Interstate highways provide a corridor identity and encourage growth. Nineteen of the 26 major distribution centers in Wisconsin are located within five miles of an Interstate.
-   Interstate status will elevate US 41 from a regionally-known freeway to a nationally recognized corridor. This will allow communities along the route to be competitive when large corporations are looking for market expansion locations.
-   Companies looking to relocate or expand consistently put highway accessibility at the top of their list. Many have stated they will only relocate or expand near an Interstate.
-   The corridor's approximate center point, Fond du Lac, is within a day's drive of all other major Midwestern US metropolitan areas containing 15 percent of the country's population.
-   The extension along I-94 links the Fox Valley and Green Bay metropolitan areas and markets to the greater Chicago metropolitan area. Chicago is the economic epicenter of the entire Midwest and a key hub near the end of the corridor.

In 2005, US 41 from Milwaukee to Green Bay was identified by the federal government for inclusion in the US Interstate Highway System and planning for the Interstate conversion began in 2007. In May 2011, Governor Walker committed state resources to complete a study and move ahead with the project. The federal legislation was needed to allow certain commercial trucks to continue operating on the corridor after Interstate conversion.

mgk920

^^
Anyone up for a 'US(I)-41' roadgeek meet in September, 2015?

Mike

OCGuy81

Great information! Will they now uncover the I-41 shields they already installed along parts of I-894?

SSOWorld

Quote from: OCGuy81 on December 18, 2014, 05:17:25 PM
Great information! Will they now uncover the I-41 shields they already installed along parts of I-894?
Nope. why? because WisDOT.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jprocknow

They're considering the possibility of duplexing I-41 with I-43.  Because overlaps are WisDOT.

mgk920

Quote from: jprocknow on December 18, 2014, 10:29:09 PM
They're considering the possibility of duplexing I-41 with I-43.  Because overlaps are WisDOT.

As mentioned a few pages upstream, there will be a 'wrong way' pairing of the two on the east-west part of I-894.

:spin:

Mike

jprocknow

I was being sarcastic about wrapping it around Green Bay, so they can connect Fond Du Lac with Oshkosh with one I number.

jreuschl

Would US 45 from Richfield to West Bend be a 3DI candidate?

FightingIrish

Quote from: jreuschl on December 22, 2014, 01:24:31 AM

Very doubtful. Probably not much point. Unless West Bend businesses start screaming for it and the state is willing to pay to upgrade it.

And, before anyone asks, the WIS145 'freeway' stub in NE Milwaukee will never be an interstate. Unless groups are really gung-ho about a near-empty freeway that dumps traffic off into the middle of the North side.

jprocknow

Quote from: FightingIrish on December 22, 2014, 11:23:45 AM
Quote from: jreuschl on December 22, 2014, 01:24:31 AM

Very doubtful. Probably not much point. Unless West Bend businesses start screaming for it and the state is willing to pay to upgrade it.

And, before anyone asks, the WIS145 'freeway' stub in NE Milwaukee will never be an interstate. Unless groups are really gung-ho about a near-empty freeway that dumps traffic off into the middle of the North side.

They'd never make that interchange (145) full access (I hope); there's no point and it would probably be crazy expensive.  You don't need full access for an I route but it's usually the case.

Fox 11 News

One of the more problematic ramps - 41 North to 43 South - is now closed.

http://fox11online.com/2015/03/02/road-construction-project-starting-today-in-the-green-bay-area/

Trucks tipping their load was a too-common happening on that stretch.

mgk920

Quote from: Fox 11 News on March 03, 2015, 09:30:20 AM

http://fox11online.com/2015/03/02/road-construction-project-starting-today-in-the-green-bay-area/

I'm going to miss that ramp . . . .

<sniffle>

:-(

But that new one is going to be WAAAYY KEWL to drive!

:cheers:

Mike

ET21

Quote from: Fox 11 News on March 03, 2015, 09:30:20 AM

Wonder how many different types of truck loads were accidentally tipped lol
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

amroad17

I had forgotten about that odd ramp set-up that I had once driven.  Was it built that way because of the wetlands in the southeast quadrant of the interchange?
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Big John

Quote from: amroad17 on March 06, 2015, 07:49:30 PM
I had forgotten about that odd ramp set-up that I had once driven.  Was it built that way because of the wetlands in the southeast quadrant of the interchange?
More to allow room for that interchange and the Velp Ave interchange with direct access from one to the other.  The new freeway won't allow direct access for both.

Fox 11 News

Governor Scott Walker Announces US 41 Officially Added to Interstate System
Federal Highway Administration approval means I-41 signs will start going up in summer

Madison — Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker announced today that U.S. 41 in the eastern part of the state has been officially added to the Interstate System as I-41.

"The Interstate designation is the culmination of years of hard work by federal, state, and local officials that will stimulate economic opportunities from Milwaukee to Green Bay and beyond,"  Governor Walker said.  "Our Interstate system is a critical part of our infrastructure, which fuels commerce, helps grow the economy, and create jobs."

The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) officially approved the Interstate designation — the final step in a process that began nearly 10 years ago.  Installation of about 3,000 new signs will begin this summer with signing expected to be completed by November 2015.

"The official designation of I-41 is tremendous news that will support the safe, efficient movement of people and commerce for many years to come,"  said Wisconsin Department of Transportation Secretary Mark Gottlieb.  "Along with Governor Walker's leadership, I want to thank former Congressman Tom Petri, our current Congressional delegation, state legislators, local government officials, and community leaders who helped make I-41 a reality."

Wisconsin's newest Interstate route runs concurrently with US 41 for the entire route.  I-41 begins at the I-94/US 41 interchange located about one mile south of the Wisconsin/Illinois border.  It follows I-94 north to the Mitchell Interchange, I-894 and US 45 around Milwaukee and then joins US 41 north to Green Bay where it ends at the I-43 Interchange.

Existing US 41 in the Milwaukee area will be re-routed to follow I-41 along I-894 and US 45.  Current US 41 along Lisbon Avenue and Appleton Avenue from I-94 at the Stadium Interchange northwesterly to the interchange with US 45 will be re-numbered WIS 175.

Additional benefits in designating US 41 part of the Interstate System include:

-   Interstates provide a corridor identify, which encourages growth.  Of the 26 major distribution centers in Wisconsin, 73 percent are located within five miles of an Interstate.
-   The design standards for the Interstate system ensure high levels of mobility and safety.
-   Interstate status will elevate US 41 from a regionally-known freeway to a nationally recognized corridor.  This will allow communities along the route to be competitive when large corporations are looking for market expansion locations.

In 2005, US 41 from Milwaukee to Green Bay was identified by the federal government for inclusion in the US Interstate Highway System.  Planning for the Interstate conversion began in 2007.  In May 2011, Governor Scott Walker committed state resources to continue work on the study and make I-41 a reality.  As part of this effort, federal legislation was needed to allow certain commercial trucks to continue operating on the corridor after Interstate conversion.  That legislation was passed in December 2014. 

For more information go to  http://www.dot.wi.gov/projects/neregion/41/index.htm

mgk920

:cheers:

NOW guys and gals - your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to hunt down and photograph the first 'I-41' sign to be officially posted 'in the wild' in each county that it passes through.

Mike

OCGuy81

Really going to find the I-41/US 41 shields together interesting.

Not to mention I-41,43,894,and US 41 signage.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.