News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Sakonnet River Bridge (RI 24)

Started by Alex, August 14, 2012, 08:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

Pete from Boston

I didn't read the articles, but what's the average cost per non-transponder transaction?  The operating cost per transponder transaction is probably negligible once the system is in place.  But 10¢ barely covers the bill and envelopes, never mind postage.

doogie1303

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 17, 2014, 11:51:21 AM
I didn't read the articles, but what's the average cost per non-transponder transaction?  The operating cost per transponder transaction is probably negligible once the system is in place.  But 10¢ barely covers the bill and envelopes, never mind postage.

Non-transponder people are also charged the same $0.10, according to one article I read, the non-transponder people receive a bill once they've made 25 crossings. The bridge authority thought that was a reasonable amount to collect at as they claim it costs between 90 cents and $1 to mail a bill.

Or think of it this way, about 10 of the 25 crossings will be to pay for postage on bills.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: doogie1303 on February 17, 2014, 05:44:28 PM

Non-transponder people are also charged the same $0.10, according to one article I read, the non-transponder people receive a bill once they've made 25 crossings. The bridge authority thought that was a reasonable amount to collect at as they claim it costs between 90 cents and $1 to mail a bill.

Or think of it this way, about 10 of the 25 crossings will be to pay for postage on bills.

Something doesn't seem right about transponder users paying, say, 9¢ toward the bridge, and non-transponder users paying 6¢ toward it.

For the sake of equity and hilarity, I think there needs to be a two-tiered structure with a sign stating:

EZPass users 10¢
     All others 13¢

hotdogPi

I think it should be

2¢ for each car that crossed the toll booth within the last minute

That way, rush hour costs more.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Alps

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 17, 2014, 10:45:05 PM

Something doesn't seem right about transponder users paying, say, 9¢ toward the bridge, and non-transponder users paying 6¢ toward it.

For the sake of equity and hilarity, I think there needs to be a two-tiered structure with a sign stating:

EZPass users 10¢
     All others 13¢

Now you have to subsidize the cost of the sign. Better make it 14¢.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Alps on February 18, 2014, 12:25:53 AM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 17, 2014, 10:45:05 PM

EZPass users 10¢
     All others 13¢

Now you have to subsidize the cost of the sign. Better make it 14¢.

I figured to properly exploit the full comic potential of prices like that, it would be written with a ratty paintbrush on some worn-out wooden planks (with several instances of a backwards S).  So the sign cost would be fairly low.

spooky

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 18, 2014, 08:16:58 AM
it would be written with a ratty paintbrush on some worn-out wooden planks (with several instances of a backwards S). 

so, RIDOT standard?

Pete from Boston

Quote from: spooky on February 18, 2014, 10:14:53 AM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 18, 2014, 08:16:58 AM
it would be written with a ratty paintbrush on some worn-out wooden planks (with several instances of a backwards S). 

so, RIDOT standard?

A materials upgrade (from cardboard) from MBTA standard.

Beeper1

The tolls for this bridge were officially discontinued this past Friday.  The state passed a new budget that eliminated the toll by increasing the gas tax 1 cent and channeling DMV and inspection fees to a new bridge and infrastructure fund. 

The Newport Bridge is once again the only toll facility in RI.   

PHLBOS

Quote from: Beeper1 on June 26, 2014, 11:06:55 PM
The tolls for this bridge were officially discontinued this past Friday.  The state passed a new budget that eliminated the toll by increasing the gas tax 1 cent and channeling DMV and inspection fees to a new bridge and infrastructure fund. 

Do you have source for this info.?  If confirmed, when's the gantry along RI 24 at the Sakonnet being dismantled?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

southshore720

Given RIDOT's "attention to detail," you'll probably see that gantry for *quite* some time...

PHLBOS

*in Ronald Reagan voice*  "RIDOT, TEAR DOWN THIS GANTRY!"
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Beeper1

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 27, 2014, 08:19:35 AM
Quote from: Beeper1 on June 26, 2014, 11:06:55 PM

Do you have source for this info.?  If confirmed, when's the gantry along RI 24 at the Sakonnet being dismantled?

Conirmation and info on the equipment's fate:  http://www.providencejournal.com/breaking-news/content/20140624-ri-bridge-authority-looks-to-reuse-sell-sakonnet-toll-equipment.ece

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

Pete from Boston

So, with the contract termination fee, the toll netted a $4.2 million loss. 

How long will it take to sell 420 million gallons of gas in Rhode Island to cover this mistake?

southshore720

As if RI needs another financial hit!   :pan:

On a side note, that's a great photo of RI's liberal use of MA trailblazer shields in that linked article.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: southshore720 on July 19, 2014, 09:20:22 PM
As if RI needs another financial hit!   :pan:

It's Rhode Island, so someone undoubtedly made a lot of money off it.

doogie1303

Maybe they should hang a highway sign off of it ...

(sorry about the crappy photo edit)

roadman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 19, 2014, 09:06:25 PM
So, with the contract termination fee, the toll netted a $4.2 million loss. 

How long will it take to sell 420 million gallons of gas in Rhode Island to cover this mistake bad political decision?
There, fixed it for you.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Thread Bump:

The AET gantry was finally taken down this past Sunday (Super Bowl Sunday).

Super Bowl Surprise: Sakonnet Bridge Toll Gantry Comes Down

QuoteWhile most of you were watching the Denver Broncos defeat the Carolina Panthers in Super Bowl 50, a different sort of victory was quietly being celebrated on the Sakonnet River Bridge.

Workers from Aetna Bridge Company dismantled the toll gantry on the Portsmouth side of the span late Sunday night while a handful of local legislators and other bridge toll opponents watched with glee.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

dgolub

I was through there with duke87 on Saturday.  There was no toll.

PHLBOS

Quote from: dgolub on February 08, 2016, 08:48:20 AM
I was through there with duke87 on Saturday.  There was no toll.
Read further down in the article bold emphasis added: 

Quote from: East Bay RI ArticleAlthough the Rhode Island Bridge and Turnpike Authority ended its quest in June 2014 to collect a levy from drivers on the new bridge, opponents said they wouldn't be fully satisfied until the gantry was removed.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

southshore720

If the governor gets her way, they'll be recycling that gantry for the proposed truck tolls!

seicer

Sad. A responsible method to toll the bridge and fund improvements and it is removed for pure political purposes. I suppose raising the gas tax is out of question.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.