News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Random grammar poll, because hey.

Started by empirestate, January 01, 2016, 11:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What pronoun do you use when the subject's gender is unknown?

Always masculine ("he", "him", "his")
12 (20%)
Always feminine ("she", "her")
0 (0%)
Alternating masculine and feminine
4 (6.7%)
Masculine and feminine together ("he/she", "his or her" etc.)
7 (11.7%)
Plural ("they", "them", "their")
30 (50%)
Something else
7 (11.7%)

Total Members Voted: 60

vdeane

I think a few articles already do that; I know I've read some where they alternate using "he" and "she".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kkt

It'll make it hard to follow in a conversation between a man and a woman about the same hypothetical person, the women referring to "she" and the man to "he".

empirestate

Quote from: kkt on March 31, 2016, 01:58:32 PM
It'll make it hard to follow in a conversation between a man and a woman about the same hypothetical person, the women referring to "she" and the man to "he".

Think so? Maybe; I'm trying to imagine an example.

Anyway, there could be other ways to divide usage other than based on the speaker's gender. But even doing it that way, aren't there languages, such as Japanese, where the speaker's gender does change the lexicon? How do they fare in keeping track of conversations?

Duke87

Quote from: vdeane on March 31, 2016, 01:07:10 PM
I think a few articles already do that; I know I've read some where they alternate using "he" and "she".

Yes, I've seen this too - I'm not a fan of the practice because it's confusing. Makes it sound like two different people are being talked about when that's not necessarily the case.

Yeah, good point. This policy works great in writing articles and such but when having a conversation it breaks down hard.

The idea of "she" being used to refer to a subject of unspecified gender does mess with my head a bit, but that might just be because I'm not used to it. Objectively, there is no reason why that wouldn't work.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

empirestate

Quote from: Duke87 on March 31, 2016, 06:49:13 PM
Quote from: vdeane on March 31, 2016, 01:07:10 PM

Yes, I've seen this too - I'm not a fan of the practice because it's confusing. Makes it sound like two different people are being talked about when that's not necessarily the case.

Yeah, you can't just switch around willy-nilly; even in a book where you alternate by chapter, it takes a second to catch up. That's another reason I suggest using the speaker's own gender, at least as the default.

Yeah, good point. This policy works great in writing articles and such but when having a conversation it breaks down hard.

The idea of "she" being used to refer to a subject of unspecified gender does mess with my head a bit, but that might just be because I'm not used to it. Objectively, there is no reason why that wouldn't work.

I don't see why conversation would be especially problematic. We already take a lot of non-verbal cues in conversation; it's not much of a stretch to think that the gender of the speaker could serve as one more cue to help us know the meaning of certain words. I mean, we have no problem hearing a sarcastic "yeah, right" and knowing that the speaker means neither "yeah" nor "right".

But even if there were a case where the usage became confusing, remember that both pronouns are still available. One could switch to the other if it made better sense in a particular conversation. And of course, you could always revert to the still-correct "he or she".

english si

Quote from: empirestate on March 31, 2016, 08:33:31 PMAnd of course, you could always revert to the still-correct "he or she".
It's not correct. Not everyone is a 'he' or a 'she'.

Not to mention its inelegance.

empirestate

Quote from: english si on April 01, 2016, 06:29:36 AM
Quote from: empirestate on March 31, 2016, 08:33:31 PMAnd of course, you could always revert to the still-correct "he or she".
It's not correct. Not everyone is a 'he' or a 'she'.

Not to mention its inelegance.

Who's left out? Both words would now mean everyone, so who's "not everyone"?

Too late on the inelegance; it's already been mentioned a lot!

english si

Quote from: empirestate on April 01, 2016, 10:45:12 AMWho's left out? Both words would now mean everyone, so who's "not everyone"?
I hadn't realised that you were in the realms of generic 'he' and 'she'. But as it isn't correct now, it can't still be correct.
QuoteToo late on the inelegance; it's already been mentioned a lot!
Including by me, hence why I did a throwaway line, rather than a big rant about how I hate 'he or she' for being awful in every possible way.

---

Random musing:

Where jobs have traditionally been split by gender without using a <term>man/woman construct (which become <term>person), especially the ones that aren't plebby service industry jobs (so actress is much worse than waitress), it's becoming the height of offence to not call females by the masculine term. But to use the historic 'masculine as unknown gender' usage is beyond the pale.

Just seems odd to get offended for the use of terms that have always had neuter-gendered meaning as well as a masculine-gendered meaning to refer to someone unknown, but at the same time get offended if someone doesn't use a term that has been historically masculine-gendered only to refer to a known female. They are totally opposite approaches to trying to fix the same problem of 'patriarchy'.

empirestate

Quote from: english si on April 01, 2016, 12:56:31 PM
Quote from: empirestate on April 01, 2016, 10:45:12 AMWho's left out? Both words would now mean everyone, so who's "not everyone"?
I hadn't realised that you were in the realms of generic 'he' and 'she'. But as it isn't correct now, it can't still be correct.

Why isn't it correct now (apart from inelegance)?

freebrickproductions

Quote from: empirestate on April 01, 2016, 05:05:52 PM

Non-binary people who use they/them for their gender?
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

empirestate

Quote from: freebrickproductions on April 01, 2016, 11:49:31 PM
Quote from: empirestate on April 01, 2016, 05:05:52 PM

Non-binary people who use they/them for their gender?

Wouldn't they be covered by generic "he" (and "she", if added)?

english si

Non-binary people would indeed be covered by generic 'he' (or a generic 'she', if added).

But "he or she" doesn't have a generic 'he' or a generic 'she' in it - both pronouns are gendered. When one gives two options for the pronoun, then it is clear that neither are being used in an all-encompassing generic sense, because there is no need for the choice otherwise.

And even if there was a generic 'she' (which is a good idea) in common usage, the phrase would still imply that the pronouns in it are being used in their gendered, rather than generic, sense.

empirestate

Quote from: english si on April 02, 2016, 11:20:27 AM
Non-binary people would indeed be covered by generic 'he' (or a generic 'she', if added).

But "he or she" doesn't have a generic 'he' or a generic 'she' in it - both pronouns are gendered. When one gives two options for the pronoun, then it is clear that neither are being used in an all-encompassing generic sense, because there is no need for the choice otherwise.

And even if there was a generic 'she' (which is a good idea) in common usage, the phrase would still imply that the pronouns in it are being used in their gendered, rather than generic, sense.

OK, if we grant for that reason that "he or she" is slightly less correct than "he" or "she", does that incorrectness preclude us from using it as an alternative to the standalone pronouns in cases where there might be confusion because of different-gendered speakers?

And in any event, do we agree that there would be some still-correct alternative if not "he or she"–in other words, whatever the correct usage is today would still be correct if we added the generic "she"?

english si

Quote from: empirestate on April 02, 2016, 11:41:10 AMAnd in any event, do we agree that there would be some still-correct alternative if not "he or she"–in other words, whatever the correct usage is today would still be correct if we added the generic "she"?
Of course. Generic 'he' and singular 'they' would both be correct before and after a generic 'she'.

empirestate

Quote from: english si on April 02, 2016, 02:44:33 PM
Quote from: empirestate on April 02, 2016, 11:41:10 AMAnd in any event, do we agree that there would be some still-correct alternative if not "he or she"–in other words, whatever the correct usage is today would still be correct if we added the generic "she"?
Of course. Generic 'he' and singular 'they' would both be correct before and after a generic 'she'.

Ok, great. *phew* So we can rest assured that multi-gendered conversations aren't a deal-breaker; there's still another correct option to fall back on.

Duke87

Quote from: empirestate on March 31, 2016, 08:33:31 PM

I don't see why conversation would be especially problematic. We already take a lot of non-verbal cues in conversation; it's not much of a stretch to think that the gender of the speaker could serve as one more cue to help us know the meaning of certain words.

Perhaps, but ambiguity arises in determining whether the gender of the subject is unknown.

I would also hypothesize that the difficulty in adapting to this usage might be highly variable depending on the listener's existing internal way of processing these things.

I expect I might struggle with it because, in my mind, the only actual gender neutral pronouns are "it" and singular "they". I do not interpret "he" used in a generic context as representing a subject of undetermined gender, I interpret it as representing an explicit presumption that the subject is male until proven female. Generic "she", therefore, would be the inverse - an explicit presumption that the subject is female until proven male.

So, if I heard two speakers in a conversation using different pronouns to describe the same person it would sound to me like they were having a passive-aggressive argument over what gender they think the subject is or should be presumed to be. Getting used to this being normal would take time.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

empirestate

Quote from: Duke87 on April 03, 2016, 11:08:44 AM
Quote from: empirestate on March 31, 2016, 08:33:31 PM

I don't see why conversation would be especially problematic. We already take a lot of non-verbal cues in conversation; it's not much of a stretch to think that the gender of the speaker could serve as one more cue to help us know the meaning of certain words.

Perhaps, but ambiguity arises in determining whether the gender of the subject is unknown.

I would also hypothesize that the difficulty in adapting to this usage might be highly variable depending on the listener's existing internal way of processing these things.

I expect I might struggle with it because, in my mind, the only actual gender neutral pronouns are "it" and singular "they". I do not interpret "he" used in a generic context as representing a subject of undetermined gender, I interpret it as representing an explicit presumption that the subject is male until proven female. Generic "she", therefore, would be the inverse - an explicit presumption that the subject is female until proven male.

So, if I heard two speakers in a conversation using different pronouns to describe the same person it would sound to me like they were having a passive-aggressive argument over what gender they think the subject is or should be presumed to be. Getting used to this being normal would take time.

I think that's apt, and it might clarify if I point out that my argument assumes that time has already passed. Naturally there might be confusion in a new usage to those only familiar with the old–but as you point out, you and I are already familiar with different old usages, so whatever new confusion arose would only offset that amount of existing confusion.

It's similar to some of the discussions of self-driving cars we've had lately. A lot of the reservations people have with the technology are based on it being deployed by today's drivers amongst today's vehicle. When the self-driving car hit the non-self-driving bus, many people cited it as proof that the system couldn't work. But of course, the aim is that the bus would also be self-driving; it would have known the car was pulling out and either told it not to do so, or taken evasive action, and there'd have been no accident.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.