News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Update on my shoulder

Started by hm insulators, January 10, 2016, 04:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hm insulators

Some of you might remember last summer when I dislocated my shoulder. A few weeks after the injury, I started physical therapy and for a little while was going great guns before I hit a plateau. After weeks of little to no progress, an MRI performed in October showed a partly-torn tendon and maybe rotator-cuff issues. Surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning and hopefully we'll find out what's going on with the damn thing. Wish me luck!
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

SignGeek101

Good Luck! Hope everything goes well.

noelbotevera

I feel your pain - I dislocated my right arm. Except, I was a baby, and no surgery was needed (all they simply did, trying not to be gruesome, was try and work around what was broken, and it worked pretty well - it has no problems at all).
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

hm insulators

Thank you! If I feel up to it after the surgery tomorrow, I'll post how things went, but it might be Tuesday or so.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

realjd

Good luck! I went through shoulder surgery last July. Enjoy the days post-op relaxing on the couch, enjoy the painkillers, and keep up with the PT!

hm insulators

Well, as it turned out, I didn't have my surgery because of last-minute insurance issues. I won't elaborate, but my surgery is on hold while I seek out another orthopedic surgeon who accepts my insurance.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hm insulators on January 18, 2016, 03:05:56 PM
Well, as it turned out, I didn't have my surgery because of last-minute insurance issues. I won't elaborate, but my surgery is on hold while I seek out another orthopedic surgeon who accepts my insurance.

That stinks - and points up another way that our health insurance system does not work well.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hm insulators

Well, I finally had my first consultation with my new doctor, and we have scheduled surgery for March 3. Let's hope it works out this time!

Pete from Boston

Remember the golden rule: always listen to (and treat well) your nurses.  They are the true Primary Care Providers, and can make or break your experience.   

US 81

hm insulators

Most likely by the time many of you read this, I will probably be in the OR, and hopefully everything will go okay. I don't do well psychologically with surgery; I find it more frightening than most people, so I'll probably be up all night worrying about it. Wish me luck!

US 81

Let us know how it goes. Wishing you good drugs and a speedy recovery.

bandit957

The name of this thread sounds like a John Denver song.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Pete from Boston

Quote from: hm insulators on March 02, 2016, 09:58:24 PM
I don't do well psychologically with surgery; I find it more frightening than most people,

Hard to really grasp unless you tell us how frightening you find most people.  (!) 

There's nothing unusual about worrying about surgery.  And fortunately those worries are usually unfounded.

Quote from: bandit957 on March 03, 2016, 08:31:47 PM
The name of this thread sounds like a John Denver song.

Updates almost always make me high.

realjd

Quote from: hm insulators on March 02, 2016, 09:58:24 PM
Most likely by the time many of you read this, I will probably be in the OR, and hopefully everything will go okay. I don't do well psychologically with surgery; I find it more frightening than most people, so I'll probably be up all night worrying about it. Wish me luck!

How did the surgery go? Are they making you use the foam block brace thing? I thankfully didn't need to on my surgery last summer because they didn't have to reattach/construct anything.

hm insulators

The surgery was done Thursday morning, and they gave me that foam block thing. It was so heavy, plus it wouldn't stay put and on top of that interfered with my sleep, so Arnold took me to a Walgreens and we bought a sling that is far more tolerable for this wearer. I tried to contact the doctor about my troubles on Friday (I had questions about the medicine too), but there seemed to be an issue with them having the wrong phone number; they said they tried calling me back and I didn't answer. I was home and the phone never rang.

hm insulators

Saw the doctor yesterday for my first post-op appointment. He took out the stitches and gave me a report about what he had found. I had a partially-torn rotator cuff, plus some tendons that had to be put back into place. There was far less swelling, bruising and pain than there was with my hernia repair last year; on the other hand, I wish these surgeons would knock it off with the damn tube down the trachea! Every time they do that, it messes up my vocal cords and they take that much longer to heal, plus they never seem to fully get back to normal. If this keeps up, I won't have any vocal cords left to talk with! (Some who know me might actually consider that a blessing. :-D)

My next appointment is in two weeks, and after that if all is going well, physical therapy.

US 81

That's good news, overall, tho I am sorry about the tracheal tube aftermath. (It is kind of important to for them to breathe for you while you're anesthetized, and an endo tracheal tube is the most secure way to do so. If it helps, you can blame the anesthesiologist; surgeons don't usually have much input into tracheal tube use)

Best wishes for continued healing, and onward to physical therapy.

hm insulators

I've started physical therapy just last week. So far, so good.

hm insulators

I'm making ever-so-slow progress. My physical therapy began as passive PT where the therapist does all the movements of the arm, and the last couple of weeks I've been doing "active" PT where I do all the exercises.

slorydn1

That's good that you're in active PT. Hopefully this all gets better for you soon (sounds like it's heading in that direction already)!
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.