News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Are GPSes making us more unaware of our surroundings

Started by roadman65, February 19, 2016, 07:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterSG1

Quote from: wanderer2575 on February 28, 2016, 10:52:17 AM
While the I-94/I-69 interchange a couple miles west was being rebuilt last year, traffic crossovers resulted in one or two left-hand movements temporarily becoming right-hand movements.  Signs were posted:  "Follow Construction Signing Not GPS."  Same kind of situation and probably the same results.  Another epic sign of the times.   :banghead:

I believe I saw that same sign back in 2011 after a Gold Cup game in Ford Field. I went up I-375, and south on I-75 trying to see that brand new interchange with I-96/I-75 and the Ambassador Bridge, of course, the ramps were not opened due to the dispute with Moroun (or something along those lines, I loosely followed the story) and I was forced to go to the next exit to get to the Ambassador Bridge, I remember seeing signs there at this detour saying "Follow Signs, Not GPS"

I tend not to use the GPS for actual navigation, but I often have the GPS on just following where I am. I find it's good to simply glance to see where you are relative to the major roads and what not. The situation I may use it for the most, suppose a road is closed in an area I am not too familiar with, I just glance at the GPS to find my way around the closure.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on February 29, 2016, 07:42:51 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on February 29, 2016, 01:12:45 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 28, 2016, 01:03:50 PMIts mainly those who are post baby boomers who rely solely on them.
I've seen plenty of GPS-blind-faith-idiocy displayed among baby boomers and older drivers (ones have been driving for decades) as well.
Not as much here in Florida though.  If there are elderly people in my booth using GPS they are mainly humble and do carry cash on them.
The bus driver that crashed his bus carrying 42 passengers (mostly high school students) into a low overpass along Soldiers Field Road (a road with large overheight vehicle prohibition signs at every entrance ramp) in Boston a few years ago was 67 years old and practically admitted that he was relying on his GPS (obviously either it wasn't a commercial vehicle/grade type or was the vehicle height setting wasn't on nor set properly) to get around the area.

One not so severe GPS blunder: when a bunch of us were meeting at the Shady Maple Smorgasbord (located at the junction of US 322/PA 23 & 897 in Blue Ball, PA) for lunch; one driver (in his upper 50s/lower 60s) coming from South Jersey used US 322 (he entered PA via the Commodore Barry Bridge) for the entire distance.  While he did arrive at his destination; he arrived roughly an hour later than he would have had he used freeways & the PA Turnpike for the majority of his trip. 

Part of me wanted to ask him had this gathering took place before the widespread use of GPS'; would he have used the same routing.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.