News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Floating axel is not only for dump trucks anymore

Started by roadman65, March 14, 2016, 05:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I was noticing now that lift up axel that appears on dump trucks is now manufactured on regular truck trailers now.  They are claiming that if it helps with weight distribution with dump trucks so it can with regular trucks.  Plus it helps cut down on toll costs as the driver can raise the extra axel on his rig before he enters a toll booth and then lower it after he pays the toll as only a toll collector can charge what is on the ground at the time the vehicle is in the toll lane.

What will they think of next? I would have never believed it unless I saw it come through my toll lane on FL 528.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

SteveG1988

Michigan allows that, an old law that was grandfathered in. FHWA says if they alter the law, the law is no longer allowed.

Trailers have to be registered in Michigan.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on March 14, 2016, 05:35:41 PM
I was noticing now that lift up axel that appears on dump trucks is now manufactured on regular truck trailers now.  They are claiming that if it helps with weight distribution with dump trucks so it can with regular trucks.  Plus it helps cut down on toll costs as the driver can raise the extra axel on his rig before he enters a toll booth and then lower it after he pays the toll as only a toll collector can charge what is on the ground at the time the vehicle is in the toll lane.

That would be toll evasion.  And if a truck needs to have the axles down for his load, lifting axles up to avoid tolls would also create numerous load distribution issues, and the trucker could receive several tickets for violating those rules as well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.