Google thinks Los Angeles is underwater

Started by Stephane Dumas, April 05, 2016, 10:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

I spotted that article at Google thinks Los Angeles is underwater thanks to a glitch then Google maps did. http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/11/9313627/google-maps-los-angeles-sea-levels-rising

ET21

That next big earthquake, parts of it could be
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

GCrites

noelbotevera

Quote from: GCrites80s on April 06, 2016, 08:44:00 PM
learn to swim
they already do

much ocean       so swim        wow water
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Henry

I'm sure it's the same thing in San Diego, San Francisco and Seattle.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

tchafe1978

Desert Man

and I suppose Palm Springs is beachfront property, anywhere east of the San Andreas faults or the Coastal Ranges. If the entire ice caps in Antarctica and Greenland melted all at once, the sea level will increase to 50 feet...no more New York City, Bangladesh and Shanghai. Hopefully, the Netherlands' state-of-the-art polder-dike system is in place to keep the North Sea out of their low-lying country.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ET21 on April 05, 2016, 11:00:12 AM

Unlikely, most of California is in a lateral strike zone meaning the North American and Pacific plates are sliding against each other.  For California to sink it would need to be subducted under the Pacific plate.  There are parts of the Pacific Plate being subducted under the North American Plate up in the Cascadia region roughly in Washington and British Columbia.

So basically despite popular theory 2012 and Escape from L.A. both had it wrong.  :-D

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 16, 2016, 03:15:10 PM

Unlikely, most of California is in a lateral strike zone meaning the North American and Pacific plates are sliding against each other.  For California to sink it would need to be subducted under the Pacific plate.  There are parts of the Pacific Plate being subducted under the North American Plate up in the Cascadia region roughly in Washington and British Columbia.

So basically despite popular theory 2012 and Escape from L.A. both had it wrong.  :-D

You telling me all my plots in Otisburg are worthless?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 16, 2016, 05:26:12 PM

You telling me all my plots in Otisburg are worthless?

Seems to be the case that Lex Luthor wasn't the criminal mastermind he made himself out to be....maybe he should kneel before Zod and cut his losses as ruler of Australia?   Incidentally when Superman was reversing time did he ever bother to go back and stop the Hoover Dam from breaching? 

vdeane

Plus a good chunk of California is ON the Pacific plate...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: vdeane on April 16, 2016, 06:26:44 PM

Right...meaning it's only going to get subducted or folded inland to form mountain ranges.  Basically for everything to fall into the ocean it would take a total reversal of the current plate movement, most of the seismic activity is beginning to push east towards Nevada.  The Farallon Plate is another example of this movement inland.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 16, 2016, 06:53:39 PM
Quote from: vdeane on April 16, 2016, 06:26:44 PM

Right...meaning it's only going to get subducted or folded inland to form mountain ranges.  Basically for everything to fall into the ocean it would take a total reversal of the current plate movement, most of the seismic activity is beginning to push east towards Nevada.  The Farallon Plate is another example of this movement inland.
Of course, eventually with the way the plates are moving, California (and the rest of the west coast) will be touching Asia.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

D-Dey65

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on April 18, 2016, 09:48:10 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 16, 2016, 11:09:39 PM
ABC News thought New York City would be underwater by 2015 in 2008.

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitlock/2015/06/12/flashback-abcs-08-prediction-nyc-under-water-climate-change-june

Beat it by three years, actually:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_Hurricane_Sandy_in_New_York

I went through Hurricane Bob back in 1991, if it had hit the city instead of just Eastern Long Island it would have been just as remembered.  Funny how people seem to think New York hurricanes are a new thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_York_hurricanes

GeauxLSU

I am a Roadgeek and a Fishgeek and a Tigergeek!

roadman

Quote from: tchafe1978 on April 07, 2016, 04:47:09 PM
Maybe Google took a cue from the song Aenima by Tool:

https://youtu.be/E8vmaj75xzE

Or they've hired Warren Zevon.  And when California slides into the ocean.  Like the mystics and statistics say it will
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: GCrites80s on April 06, 2016, 08:44:00 PM
learn to swim
Or, for those old enough to remember Bill Cosby's Noah monologue, "How long can you tread water?"
GPS does NOT equal GOD

GeauxLSU

I am a Roadgeek and a Fishgeek and a Tigergeek!

Max Rockatansky

triplemultiplex

Maybe Santa Monica Pier should put in a water park. :-D
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

ixnay

Will Jerry give the Totally Spies girls gadgets capable of reversing this?

ixnay

wanderer2575

Lex Luthor had the right idea for handling California in the first Superman movie.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: wanderer2575 on December 03, 2016, 08:34:59 AM
Lex Luthor had the right idea for handling California in the first Superman movie.

Meh....you'd take a lot good stuff including the following:

-  Big Sur
-  Pinnacles National Park
-  Angeles Crest Highway/San Gabriel National Monument
-  Carrizo Plains National Monument

Plus what they didn't touch on was that most of the coast would still include mountains with the Diablo Range among many others.  Besides with the lateral strike motion of the San Andreas Fault coupled with the subduction of the Farallon Plate it would likely just mean things would get shifted in addition to pushed "upward" rather than fall into the ocean.  Plus, everyone glosses over what the loss of the Hoover Dam would have meant.  At least Superman stopped the water flow before it killed everyone in what I'm assuming was a cheese ball representation of Bullhead City and Lake Havasu City.

Now the one that's really insulting to the intelligence is that movie 2012.  They would have you believe that neutrino particles would suddenly start interacting with the Earth's core and breaking the crust loose because "reasons." 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.