EU may require visas from American and Canadian citizens

Started by US 41, April 08, 2016, 06:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 41

This is kind of funny. US and Canadians will not need visas (if this passes) to visit Ireland and the United Kingdom which are the two opt out countries. If this does pass in the EU then the US should retaliate and require tourist visas from every EU country (minus Ireland and the UK). This is kind of ridiculous. Make Americans have visas, but just let every Syrian come over. Give me a break! We only require visas from Romanians and Bulgarians. At least I don't ever plan on going back over there. There are plenty of things for me to see in the US, Canada, and Mexico.

What are your thoughts on this?

Here's the article.  http://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu-usa-visas-idUSKCN0X4183
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

corco

I'll believe it when I see it, and if it does happen, then getting a visa really isn't that big of a deal.

english si

Quote from: US 41 on April 08, 2016, 06:26:20 PMWe only require visas from Romanians and Bulgarians.
Given that most EU members have only recently extended full freedom of movement from those countries (if they all have - some might not until next year) it seems highly petty to punish the US and Canada for this.

But then, the people trying to persuade me to stay in the EU think petty is par for the course for Brussels.

realjd

How does the EU handle visas for people who require one? Is it something painless visa on arrival or an e-visa like Australia does?

lordsutch

Quote from: realjd on April 09, 2016, 08:47:37 PM
How does the EU handle visas for people who require one? Is it something painless visa on arrival or an e-visa like Australia does?

Typically you apply via the embassy or consulate of the country you plan to spend the most of your time in the Schengen area in. See e.g. here for France. It's certainly not a simple as the Australian ETA process.

MisterSG1

Quote from: US 41 on April 08, 2016, 06:26:20 PM
This is kind of funny. US and Canadians will not need visas (if this passes) to visit Ireland and the United Kingdom which are the two opt out countries. If this does pass in the EU then the US should retaliate and require tourist visas from every EU country (minus Ireland and the UK). This is kind of ridiculous. Make Americans have visas, but just let every Syrian come over. Give me a break! We only require visas from Romanians and Bulgarians. At least I don't ever plan on going back over there. There are plenty of things for me to see in the US, Canada, and Mexico.

What are your thoughts on this?

Here's the article.  http://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu-usa-visas-idUSKCN0X4183

I 100% agree with you. I went to Europe in 2007, and I will be honest, when I went there I realize how much I like Canada and the US so much more. I would not move to Europe even if you offered me all the money in the world.

And no, I am not xenophobic, but I have absolutely no need to go to Europe. Can you believe that there are a fair amount of my countrymen who actually suggest that Canada should join the EU? Man that makes me so angry.

Speaking of which, there was a situation a few years ago where a hotel on Airport Road here in Brampton had a EU flag higher than a Canadian flag, and boy I put up a stink about that at the front desk. The very next day, they put the Canadian flag higher than the EU flag. As you can see I am not a fan of the EU.

noelbotevera

I myself really don't care if we go to war, or just destroy each other. The EU can go lie 6 feet under for all I care, I focus on Canada and Mexico, because those are our next door neighbors that we keep alive, and they keep us alive.

I also don't give a crap about refugees, I wonder if they'll come crawling back to Europe if we kick them out, because they have no visa.

Oh yeah, and if you want to call me an uneducated idiot savant, I have been keeping up with the news. Surprise surprise.

english si

Quote from: MisterSG1 on April 09, 2016, 11:29:19 PMCan you believe that there are a fair amount of my countrymen who actually suggest that Canada should join the EU? Man that makes me so angry.
Those idiots realise that the EU barely tolerates Canada? That the EC demanded that the UK pretty much severed trading ties with the Commonwealth as a price of membership (which, given we were in EFTA, was a totally fraudulent deal, sold to the British people as being about expanding trade, while not giving us any new trading partners and erecting barriers between the UK and its traditional partners), and it took 45 years of Canadian lobbying for the EU to sit down with the most-European country outside Europe and start trade talks. And then it took 7 years to hash out a simple trade deal. The EU is anti-Canada by design (the whole point of protectionist regional trade blocks is a Cold War mindset that doesn't like powerful countries outside the block - like G20 Canada) and choice and Canadians would be made to want to join (not least as you'd have to join the Euro and Schengen at some point).

The argument for the UK to Remain in the EU is a mix of scaremonging about the UK being
  • blocked from bigger-than-EU programmes where the EU is merely the biggest member of (eg the Erasmus student exchange and education program, that Turkey has been in for years, and Switzerland has the most success with).
  • punished illegally by an EU who will erect a tariff barrier with its cash cow customer in violation of EU rules towards building close relationship with its neighbours, WTO rules against punitive tariffs, etc, etc
  • unable to get terror suspects who fled to EU countries extradited (why did the 7/7 bombings mastermind choose Italy, rather than anywhere - he flew from Heathrow and could have gone anywhere, FFS). Seriously, without misgivings about the death penalty existing (unlike the US), Italy is alleged by the people seeking continuing ever-closer union with them, to have not wanted to extradite someone accused of masterminding mass murder to an allied, developed, country that they've had an extradition treaty with for some time, but forced to do so as it had signed the European Arrest Warrant agreement years ago*.
Seriously, the picture painted by the mad cows at Britain Stronger in Europe is one of an EU that despises us and only is our friend via rule of law, but if we leave it will break that rule of law to hate on us, therefore we need to stay in ever-closer union with these nations. This is the pro-EU argument - I'm an avowed EUskeptic, but I can come up with better ones than that.

No wonder arch-Remainiac** Cameron spent £9m of Government money (when the referendum sides are limited to campaign spending of £7m each) on a very biased 'information' (much has been debunked) pack in order to try and win the upcoming referendum.

*Now I can get Spain not wanting to when the UK used it on parents who took their kid to Spain to get treatment that the NHS refused to give the poor girl. And I can get the UK not wanting to when Greece had no evidence and no right to a speedy trial and falsely imprisoned someone in the worst Greek prison awaiting trial for three years despite having convicted the guilty party after that first year - his trial lasted 5 minutes before he was acquitted, but he was in prison for as long as the guilty party. But a terror suspect against whom, less than a week later, there was masses of evidence? Come off it!
**Especially now he needs to win big to not be sacked by his party as leader. Though he's made the end of his political career more likely with this move.

Duke87

Sounds like typical foreign policy posturing to me. The EU is attempting to prod the US and Canada into granting-visa free travel to the handful of EU member states that they currently do not.

But as has been pointed out, they'd deliver a serious blow to their own tourism industry if they did this. And I'm sure the US would use that as an easy excuse to yank visa waivers from all of the EU countries that have them, perhaps rationalizing it on homeland security grounds ("you know, there are ISIS members that are EU citizens!").

The US and Canada would be wise to call the EU's bluff on this. I doubt they'll do it and they'll regret doing it if they do.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

english si

Quote from: noelbotevera on April 10, 2016, 12:45:26 AMI myself really don't care if we go to war, or just destroy each other.
Really? Goodness me. You realise that you are in one of those entities that you don't care if they 'destroy each other'?
Quote from: Duke87 on April 10, 2016, 11:53:23 AMSounds like typical foreign policy posturing to me. The EU is attempting to prod the US and Canada into granting-visa free travel to the handful of EU member states that they currently do not.
Yep. But given that EU states built fences with their borders with such states, and given that the Western EU countries put limits on those countries for up to 10 years after their joining, it's incredibly hypocritical. It's not like these members are in Schengen yet...

It will bite them if they do enforce it, and it will be great for the UK/Ireland for those North Americans wanting to go to Europe, but don't care particularly where. I would advise that US and Canadian authorities wait to see what the EU reaction is to a possible Brexit result coming in on June 24. That will show just how seriously the EU is willing to cut its nose off to spite its face.

tckma

US Citizens need a visa for travel to Australia.  So what?  Getting a visa is no big deal.  In fact, the stamps they put in your passport are technically visas.  So you'll need to get it in advance for European countries rather than on arrival.  Again, so what?

Rothman

Quote from: tckma on April 13, 2016, 02:18:21 PM
So you'll need to get it in advance for European countries rather than on arrival.  Again, so what?

Sounds like an added pain.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

lordsutch

Quote from: tckma on April 13, 2016, 02:18:21 PM
US Citizens need a visa for travel to Australia.  So what?  Getting a visa is no big deal.  In fact, the stamps they put in your passport are technically visas.  So you'll need to get it in advance for European countries rather than on arrival.  Again, so what?

The EU isn't talking about implementing a simple e-visa scheme like the Australian ETA or visa-on-arrival (or something like the ESTA system that Visa Waiver Program participants from most EU/Schengen countries can use visiting the USA); they're talking about full-blown visas that require sending your passport to an embassy or consulate and being interviewed in person. That means traveling to another city in the U.S. for an overnight visit for a lot of folks.

The fact of the matter is our visa requirements make people subject to them miserable, often for no good reason, and it leads to retaliation from those countries in return. That's why there's a huge visa-on-arrival fee for traveling to Brazil - because we do the same thing to Brazilians who want to visit the U.S. We force foreign journalists to get a visa to work on assignment for foreign publications in the U.S. - so other countries retaliate and make it harder for an American journalist to work for American publications in Europe than for a Canadian or Mexican journalist (partially explaining why you don't see many American "foreign correspondents" these days).

The EU is throwing its weight around in this case and, frankly, I don't blame them.

SSOWorld

The U.S. - The only nation in this world where you must clear customs just because your plane landed there. (even if you're just transiting)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

nexus73

Code Geass is an anime series set in an alternate timeline where the Holy Britannian Empire, which was based in the entire Western Hemisphere, spread out to conquer the majority of the planet.  In this little clip, the Emperor of that empire speaks at one of his son's funerals and lays into the EU at one point.  Maybe this will thrill some!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du2mLuK9edk

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.