News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Hockey

Started by BigMattFromTexas, March 15, 2010, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desert Man

Things turned around for the better for the Ducks (now tied 2-2) vs. the Predators. The Lightning eliminated the Red Wings to advance to the second round. And the Sharks lead game 5 vs. the Kings (edit: Sharks advance, hopes for the Ducks to get better).
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

1995hoo

So we get home from the game tonight and my wife's car is missing. Then I realize we forgot it was parked at the Springfield Metro. We commuted separately this morning and both forgot we had to retrieve the car. D'oh. Kind of symbolizes how this night went.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Stephane Dumas

The St. Louis Blues kicked out the Chicago Blackhawks in game 7. http://www.tsn.ca/talent/blues-finally-figure-out-hawks-in-game-7-thriller-1.478553

LA Kings had been eleminated by the San Jose Sharks.  We'll see a new champion for the 2016 Stanley cup championship.
St. Louis Blues is the last team of the 1967 expansion who didn't win a Stanley cup championship and Washington Capitals and the San Jose Sharks are the 2 other teams who also want a 1st Stanley cup championship as well.

Henry

When was the last time that teams from New York, Chicago and Los Angeles were eliminated in the same round? (I know the Islanders are still in it, but...)

I guess I'll have to root for the Stars to beat the Blues in the second round, since they eliminated my Hawks and made my hatred for St. Louis run even deeper.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

rawmustard

Quote from: Henry on April 27, 2016, 11:30:17 AM
When was the last time that teams from New York, Chicago and Los Angeles were eliminated in the same round? (I know the Islanders are still in it, but...)

Just from my quick glance, 2011 saw the Blackhawks, Rangers, and Kings all bow out in the conference quarterfinals. (They were all low seeds that year.)

Desert Man

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on April 26, 2016, 09:13:30 AM
The St. Louis Blues kicked out the Chicago Blackhawks in game 7. http://www.tsn.ca/talent/blues-finally-figure-out-hawks-in-game-7-thriller-1.478553

LA Kings had been eleminated by the San Jose Sharks.  We'll see a new champion for the 2016 Stanley cup championship.
St. Louis Blues is the last team of the 1967 expansion who didn't win a Stanley cup championship and Washington Capitals and the San Jose Sharks are the 2 other teams who also want a 1st Stanley cup championship as well.

The Ducks were eliminated as well, and keep an eye on the Dallas Stars because they're likely to end up in a conference final, if not the stanley cup final. I don't believe the Lightning will return, and yes, the Sharks vs Capitals stanley cup prediction is on the table (hit me on the Caps).
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Stephane Dumas

I  hope you're not too disseapointed Desert Man, the Blues eleminated the Dallas Stars and will go against the winner of the Nashville Predators/San Jose Sharks duel.

Desert Man

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on May 12, 2016, 04:49:17 PM
I  hope you're not too disseapointed Desert Man, the Blues eleminated the Dallas Stars and will go against the winner of the Nashville Predators/San Jose Sharks duel.

Nope, I don't follow the Stars, and I came to believe the Sharks are doing great in the WC finals. The Caps were eliminated by the Pens who advanced to the EC finals. Currently, the Caps tied with the Bolts 2-2, and WC game 4 tonight, the Sharks try to tie it against the Blues. 

Stephane Dumas

The Sharks eleminated the Blues and the Lightning had been eleminated by the Penguins. We'll got a final between Pittsburgh and San Jose.

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Desert Man

Quote from: ET21 on May 27, 2016, 10:53:43 PM
Go Sharks

The SF Bay area looks forward to at least one champion, the Golden State Warriors in the NBA won last year and had a record winning (73!) season, but they're about to lose the WC finals to the OKC Thunder. The SF Giants nearly tie with the Cubs' lead in the NL and Major League Baseball. And the Oakland Raiders of the NFL is most likely staying in a strongly loyal fan base. Anyways, keep an eye on Joel Ward who might impress (and defeat) Sidney Crosby and the Pens.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Desert Man on May 28, 2016, 06:36:27 AM
Anyways, keep an eye on Joel Ward who might impress (and defeat) Sidney Crosby and the Pens.

I keep an eye more on the 2 Sharks veterans Patrick Marleau and Joe Thornton, who's at the finals for their first time and never engraved their names on the Stanley Cup and they might have a chance to do it. And Marleau played with the Sharks since the beginning of his career in the NHL. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=23724

Meanwhile in the AHL, the Lake Erie Monsters (currently Columbus BlueJackets AHL farm team) had reach the Calder cup final for their 1st time.

kurumi

So this book really exists. One review, 5 stars. Sounds legit: http://www.amazon.com/Shark-vs-Penguin-Predator-Prey/dp/1410939464
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Desert Man

Game 5 1st Qtr: Sharks made 2 goals in the first 3 minutes of the game, then the Pens made 2 in the next 3 minutes and now Sharks lead the game 3-2, trying to postpone the Pens' winning the Stanley Cup. Let's see what else happens in 2 more quarters, because this is a really cool game.

Edit: Period, not quarter...how did that happened? Must been tired and confused.  :meh: :spin: :hmmm:

kurumi

Pittsburgh police are searching for the whereabouts of a large metal cup with lots of names engraved on it. The putative owners would really like to get it back.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Henry

This is getting exciting! I'd be happy with either team winning, although I'm hoping that the Sharks pull it off, seeing that it's their first time ever in the final round.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

broadhurst04

Quote from: Desert Man on June 09, 2016, 09:01:18 PM
Game 5 1st Qtr: Sharks made 2 goals in the first 3 minutes of the game, then the Pens made 2 in the next 3 minutes and now Sharks lead the game 3-2, trying to postpone the Pens' winning the Stanley Cup. Let's see what else happens in 2 more quarters, because this is a really cool game.

Periods, not quarters. :)

Max Rockatansky

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the death of Gordie How in this thread today...  :-/

broadhurst04

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 10, 2016, 11:18:21 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the death of Gordie How in this thread today...  :-/

Perhaps it was overshadowed by the coverage of Muhammad Ali's memorial service.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: broadhurst04 on June 10, 2016, 11:21:50 PM

Perhaps it was overshadowed by the coverage of Muhammad Ali's memorial service.

Yeah true, outside of where I'm from Hockey doesn't make much of an impact on the national sports scene.  I actually got to see the guy play a couple times when I was a kid and my Grand Father was a huge fan since the company he worked for worked on the Olympia.

kurumi

Wayne Gretzky's number (99) is an homage to Gordie Howe (9). There's a tenuous, fallacious road connection in that Connecticut did the same thing to a stretch of former Route 9 (now Route 99).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kurumi on June 11, 2016, 12:02:25 PM

Wayne Gretzky's number (99) is an homage to Gordie Howe (9). There's a tenuous, fallacious road connection in that Connecticut did the same thing to a stretch of former Route 9 (now Route 99).
Yeah that's highly unlikely given that Connecticut had no connection to the guy at all.  You'd think they would remember something after one of the Whalers....especially Gordie Howe of all people you'd think be high on the list considering he played for them after the Redwings. 

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 11, 2016, 12:50:05 PM
Quote from: kurumi on June 11, 2016, 12:02:25 PM

Yeah that's highly unlikely given that Connecticut had no connection to the guy at all.  You'd think they would remember something after one of the Whalers....especially Gordie Howe of all people you'd think be high on the list considering he played for them after the Redwings.

Naming the former Route 9 Route 99 had nothing to do with Gordie Howe, seeing as it happened in the 1960's when the Route 9 expressway was (mostly) built. But it was a number change a la Gretzky for Howe and lest we forget Ray Bourque doing the same by going from 7 to 77 to honor Phil Esposito when the Bruins retired Espo's number.  In a similar vein, the former CT 72 from Plainville to Cromwell became CT 372.    And no, no Francis St  in Greater Hartford is named after Ronnie Franchise.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Stephane Dumas

Congratulations to the Lake Erie Monsters, currently the Columbus Blue Jackets AHL farm team (they was until 2015, the Colorado Avalanche AHL farm team) who bring the Calder Cup to Cleveland when the former AHL team, the Barons won its last Calder cup championship in 1964.

http://theahl.com/monsters-bring-calder-cup-back-to-cleveland-p202772

rickmastfan67

The Stanley Cup is coming back to Pittsburgh baby!!!! #LetsGoPens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.