AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 on: Today at 04:31:48 PM 
Started by LM117 - Last post by froggie
@sparker:

I was referring to AASHTO when I said they're violating their own policies by moving the U.S. route back to its original alignment.

Regarding your other question/concern, private citizens/entities/groups/businesses/etc etc are *NOT* allowed to submit route change requests to AASHTO.  Those must come from the respective state DOTs (or equivalents in some states cases).  But you're probably right in that it's local concerns spearheading the push.

on: Today at 04:30:19 PM 
Started by sdmichael - Last post by kkt
Sometimes dead projects get resurrected in 20 or 30 years...

on: Today at 04:27:53 PM 
Started by 74/171FAN - Last post by froggie
Quite hilly.  Lots of blasting and earth movement would be required, which will also bump the cost up.

on: Today at 04:26:07 PM 
Started by sdmichael - Last post by The Ghostbuster
As much as I wish it were otherwise, the 710 tunnel is likely dead permanently!

on: Today at 04:25:03 PM 
Started by silverback1065 - Last post by The Ghostbuster
If Phoenix had kept either of the formerly-existing Interstate 410 or Interstate 510, we wouldn't be having this conversion. Personally, it doesn't bother me that Phoenix doesn't have a 3-digit Interstate. Flagstaff and Tucson don't either.

on: Today at 04:21:41 PM 
Started by I-39 - Last post by sparker
^^

Are those improvements being done to Interstate standards?

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/meetings/a2015/151105/presentation.pdf

Pretty much looks like it.  10' outer shoulders, 4' inner; just made it!  Don't start celebrating now -- from there south to the Atoka/Bryan county line won't see anything similar in the near term.  It's a start (as with the projects south of Durant), but just that; don't read too much into it!

on: Today at 04:20:41 PM 
Started by bugo - Last post by Bobby5280
Quote from: Brian556
I hate how big companies are buying out or trying to put smaller companies out of business. Its unfair. I feel that the current version of capitalism that we live under sucks, is unfair, and is destroying our country.

The "main street" version of business commerce in the United States is indeed being killed. Wall Street is seeing to that via its cronyism with elected lawmakers and the stunts big companies pull in our court system. Wall Street loves a big monopoly business. If a "little guy" wanting to stay independent won't sell out to a bigger firm he may get bled to death with patent lawsuits and all sorts of other frivolous legal procedures. Our tech industry (Apple in particular) has turned patent and copyright law into a joke where only the richest combatant armed with the biggest "war chest" of money wins.

Quote from: Brian556
1. It is a lot easier to locate items online rather than going to different stores that may or may not have what you need.
2. You can get items such as traffic signs that you cannot get in traditional stores.

I don't expect local retail stores to be able to stock just anything. I've had to buy high end camera equipment online from merchants in New York City because there was no way a retail store in Lawton would stock that kind of gear. Plenty of other things can be bought locally.

As for traffic signs, if I want something like that I can make it at my workplace. :-P

Quote from: Plutonic Panda
I've always thought Lawton could be a really cool big city one day. Especially given their proximity to, imo, the most beautiful area of Oklahoma.

Lawton has a lot of unrealized potential. It's largely a self-inflicted problem caused by so many locals who hate on the place rather than tell anyone any of the good things about this area. The one that always frustrates me is the habit locals have of spreading myths about how horrible the crime rate is here. Actual stats from Lawton Police and the FBI UCR prove Lawton is not nearly as dangerous as many claim it to be. The negative myths persist regardless and adversely affect business development in the area. My attitude to any local who loves bashing Lawton is this, "if you really hate the town so much why don't you get the hell out of here already and move somewhere you really want to be?" The truth is lots of people LOVE to complain about something. Bashing the town gives them something to do. Unfortunately the complainers don't realize they're screwing themselves with all their whining.

Quote from: Baloo Uriza
Sales tax shouldn't even be a thing in the first place, so that's a facile argument.

What practical alternative is there for sales tax? Nothing is free in our way of life. Taxes are necessary to pay for so many government-funded things we take for granted. Everything receiving funding via sales tax will still need that funding if sales tax is eliminated. So where do you make up the gap? Throw it all onto property tax or income tax? And then how do you distribute that tax burden? If the tax burden is not carefully (and fairly) balanced then all sorts of consequences happen. We're already seeing it in various ways thanks to each additional tax break that gets doled out to the upper class.

As far as local employment of professionals is concerned, that is a bigger factor. But you can't really blame online retail for killing off a segment of brick and mortar that isn't willing to adapt and differentiate.

"Adapt and differentiate?" That's a completely vague, bullshit answer totally in denial of practical reality. And it makes you sound like you don't have the first clue about the challenges of what to carry and what not to carry in a brick and mortar retail store with only so much floor space. You talk about your own tastes, but do so without regard to the fact you're only one person and not everyone has your tastes.

I absolutely will blame online merchants for the crisis in brick and mortar retail when the main weapons they're using is no sales tax and far lower operational costs to cut prices below levels physical retailers can sustain. Even the best quality brick and mortar retailers are in trouble.

My experience with base cities has largely been tainted by relatively negative experiences with Tacoma, Olympia and Lancaster as being really depressing places with hella-entited military wives who think their husband's rank has anything to do with their situation and call raising feral children and watching Maury "the hardest job".

That sounds a little stereotypical, especially wives throwing around a husband's rank. Every military town has a certain number of "entitled" retired veterans drawing 100% disability and paying little if anything in taxes. Most veterans and their families aren't

Plus cranks on here saying that making Lawton more friendly to people who don't want or can't drive is an impossibility.

Where's the money to pay for all those dedicated bike paths and increased mass transit? Where can all the new bike paths be built? We have a bus system with limited hours and only so many buses because there's no money to expand it. Plans like road diets have been thrown around and met with intense opposition from the public. If you want to call anyone a "crank" for pointing out those facts then I'm not sure what term to apply to you for not acknowledging reality.

on: Today at 04:19:32 PM 
Started by Riverside Frwy - Last post by freebrickproductions
Huh. Are they actually signed though? I did some looking (even at junctions) and never found any.

I've only been just across the border into NS at Amherst, but saw these routes signed.  This one on August 8, 2014.

Wow! That's rather interesting. Love how they use the older US shield design!

on: Today at 04:16:37 PM 
Started by 74/171FAN - Last post by The Ghostbuster
What is the terrain like in Interstate 73's proposed path? Is it very hilly?

on: Today at 04:14:02 PM 
Started by 74/171FAN - Last post by codyg1985
That works out to about $57 million per mile. Could terrain also play a factor?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.