AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 on: Today at 05:39:08 AM 
Started by Inyomono395 - Last post by Max Rockatansky
Some Michigan stuff from my current trip.

I-696 Ends:

696Iend by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

M-55 End:

55Mend by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

M-201 End:

201Mend by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

M-22 End:

22Mend by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

on: Today at 05:25:29 AM 
Started by Scott5114 - Last post by riiga

This should be in Best of, not Worst of.  :biggrin:

on: Today at 03:38:47 AM 
Started by Inyomono395 - Last post by TheHighwayMan394
Here are a few from last week. Both ends of MN 38, southern/western end of MN 169.

on: Today at 02:09:28 AM 
Started by empirestate - Last post by paulthemapguy
August 20, 2017:  Post a road photo you took in the pouring rain.

Taken during a downpour in Marshall, IL a month ago.

IL-001-US40S by Paul Drives, on Flickr

on: Today at 02:08:46 AM 
Started by mass_citizen - Last post by SignGeek101
https://goo.gl/maps/cz7stnCQY2N2

Found this oddity. A new (installed between Aug 2015 and Aug 2016) I-19 metric sign, written in series EEM.

on: Today at 02:01:24 AM 
Started by hbelkins - Last post by empirestate
From Marshall to St. Joseph in Missouri today (via US 65 and US 36), every town is like a little eclipse central.  Saw the start of Marshall's eclipse festival on their town square.  And the Chick-fil-A where we just had lunch in St. Joseph has a sign on the door saying they're closing for a half hour on Monday so their crew can get out and watch.  Every VMS is warning of heavy traffic on Monday.

We'll make a call late tomorrow on whether Beatrice still looks good or if we'll have a better chance at a clear sky somewhere else within a manageable drive from our base outside Omaha.

I've already pulled the plug on Marshall, as well as Beatrice, since the weather forecasts have steadily worsened there, and the cloud line seems to be pushing steadily eastward with each update.

So, we've reached our planned Saturday stop in Terre Haute, and we're going to hole up here for Sunday night as well, then run down towards Hopkinsville Monday morning. Might venture as far west as Carbondale, if skies look reasonably clear. Giant City State Park is offering free, first-come-first-served viewing spots. There also seem to be a number of privately owned sites around Hopkinsville offering day-of, cash payment.

on: Today at 01:06:31 AM 
Started by usends - Last post by catsynth
That would make an awesome eclipse road trip!

on: Today at 12:57:56 AM 
Started by hbelkins - Last post by oscar
Someone posted to the Freewayjim Facebook group a fourth-person account of massive fuel shortages in Oregon already. This has since been debunked by AASHTO, which reports that only a couple of stations were out of fuel and they were expecting deliveries today.

Others posted to the Freewayjim Facebook group photos of traffic jams on I-84, supposedly taken today, that someone else said were taken weeks ago.  :hmmm:

I did a brief return trip this afternoon to far southern Oregon, in Merrill along OR 39 (probably a minor route for eclipse-watchers, shortcutting between the US 395 and US 97 corridors). No problem filling up there.

All you can really do is to fill up before you approach the totality path, and refuel every chance you get before you arrive at your chosen spot.  My plan for eclipse-avoidance involves arriving in Bend OR the evening of the 21st (the hotel reservation just south of the totality path was pricey but I was able to get a room), setting me up for some route-clinching between there and southwestern Wyoming. I'll cross into Oregon as eclipse watchers are leaving. I expect to be able to fill up in Weed CA and/or points south along the Interstate like Redding, so I won't be completely SOL if gas stations between Weed and Bend run dry.

on: Today at 12:43:17 AM 
Started by 1 - Last post by storm2k
Roadman65, thanks for highlighting an ongoing issue with NJ DOT. They often overload their exit signs with too many destinations such as three, when there should only be two. The MUTCD recommends (and I agree) a maximum of three lines of copy, other than the distance message and exit number tag. So that allows for route number(s) on the top line plus two destinations. Works fine most other states. If necessary, two additional destinations can be shown on a supplemental sign located after the first advance sign.

Not to take this discussion too far off topic, but NJDOT has been changing their practices with newer signs, they tend to have fewer lines of legend on them. Sometimes, though, it makes sense to have several lines of legend on the signs, and to mix street name and destinations.

on: Today at 12:36:23 AM 
Started by Brian556 - Last post by sparker
For the ultimate in road-between-railroad experience, just get on East Washington Blvd. in Los Angeles and the City of Commerce.  Not only does it travel between the main UP freight line east of downtown and the corresponding BNSF line to the south -- but it lies between the main regional yards/container terminals for both lines.  While UP's SoCal operating center is in West Colton (actually in Rialto) about 45 miles east, the L.A./Commerce yard is the marshaling site for container distribution coming from the Ports of L.A. and Long Beach.  BNSF's yard, the larger of the two, handles both containerized and standard-freight-car (aka "manifest") trains, the latter a task largely relegated to West Colton over on UP.  If you're interested in rail terminal action, just take a camera with you.  BTW, the last time I was on the street (ca. 2012) the pavement was so bad (constant pounding from trucks) that I feared for my tires; use at your own risk!   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.