News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Areas underrepresented for meets

Started by getemngo, September 30, 2013, 05:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: bugo on March 03, 2014, 04:08:54 AM
Quote from: jpi on October 04, 2013, 11:28:31 PM
HB- The Memphis meet did cross the river into West Memphis, AR as part of the tour, then east back into Memphis and traced our way to Sam Cooper BLVD.

Ah, the shittiest town in Arkansas.  I hope that those of you who had never been to Arkansas before don't judge the entire state by that hellhole.

Helena-West Helena isn't much better, IMO.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Ah, the shittiest town in Arkansas.  I hope that those of you who had never been to Arkansas before don't judge the entire state by that hellhole.

All I know of West Memphis is the conglomeration of motels, truck stops and restaurants where I-40 and I-55 come together. There's actually a town there?

Quote from: bugo on March 03, 2014, 04:10:31 AM
Actually guys like me and Elkins ruled MTR...those losers just thought they did.

I never thought I ruled anything. I just found a forum that discussed an interest I'd had all my life, so I became a prolific poster and voracious reader. If there was a "power ranking" of the top 25 roadgeeks/road enthusiasts/Roads Scholars/etc., I probably wouldn't even register now, if I ever did.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on March 03, 2014, 01:10:04 PM

All I know of West Memphis is the conglomeration of motels, truck stops and restaurants where I-40 and I-55 come together. There's actually a town there?

Take the Broadway exit and you're on US 70
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

Quote from: hbelkins on March 03, 2014, 01:10:04 PM

Quote from: bugo on March 03, 2014, 04:10:31 AM
Actually guys like me and Elkins ruled MTR...those losers just thought they did.

I never thought I ruled anything. I just found a forum that discussed an interest I'd had all my life, so I became a prolific poster and voracious reader. If there was a "power ranking" of the top 25 roadgeeks/road enthusiasts/Roads Scholars/etc., I probably wouldn't even register now, if I ever did.

You were easily top 5 in the early MTR days. 

Brandon

Necroing this thread after 15 months as we do have other areas that could use a roadmeet.

Here's a few below, off the top of my head:

Des Moines - I-235 and downtown appear interesting.
Omaha - check out I-680 some time.
Kansas City - hell of a lot of good stuff, but I've never heard of a meet there.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hbelkins

Quote from: Brandon on June 26, 2015, 12:44:28 PM
Des Moines - I-235 and downtown appear interesting.

Jeff Morrison did a two-day meet in Iowa back in 2010 that covered Des Moines.

TheHighwayMan3561

Kansas City - hell of a lot of good stuff, but I've never heard of a meet there.

I wonder if Gene would have any interest in hosting this.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hbelkins

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 26, 2015, 11:38:54 PM

C'mon Man!

Someone mentioned a KC meet on Facebook somewhere, and I'm pretty sure he saw the suggestion.

SSOWorld

Quote from: hbelkins on June 26, 2015, 11:51:04 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 26, 2015, 11:38:54 PM

C'mon Man!

Someone mentioned a KC meet on Facebook somewhere, and I'm pretty sure he saw the suggestion.
Gene's hosted KC meets in the past and would host if interested.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

codyg1985

Atlanta could still use a road meet. Large projects either underway (I-75 northwest corridor toll lanes), about to get underway (I-285/GA 400 interchange rehab), or finished (GA 400 SB to I-85 NB flyover) Also, New Orleans since the last time there was a meet there none of the big projects were finished (Twin Spans, I-10/Causeway Interchange, and Huey P Long bridge)

Also, anything in Texas. I mean look at all of the construction going on in both DFW, Houston, and Austin.

NW Arkansas would also be a good one.

Of course, it really takes someone that lives in these areas to set something up, so that is part of the problem. I could TRY to do an Atlanta meet since that is the closest to me, but I would rather have someone that lives closer do it if they are willing.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

hbelkins

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 29, 2015, 07:36:53 AM
Atlanta could still use a road meet. Large projects either underway (I-75 northwest corridor toll lanes), about to get underway (I-285/GA 400 interchange rehab), or finished (GA 400 SB to I-85 NB flyover) Also, New Orleans since the last time there was a meet there none of the big projects were finished (Twin Spans, I-10/Causeway Interchange, and Huey P Long bridge)

Also, anything in Texas. I mean look at all of the construction going on in both DFW, Houston, and Austin.

Of course, it really takes someone that lives in these areas to set something up, so that is part of the problem. I could TRY to do an Atlanta meet since that is the closest to me, but I would rather have someone that lives closer do it if they are willing.

I think Steve Williams (The Georgia Road Geek) did the '08 Atlanta meet.

SSOWorld

Quote from: hbelkins on July 29, 2015, 03:06:58 PM

He did (had it on his blog)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

codyg1985

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 29, 2015, 09:07:01 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 29, 2015, 03:06:58 PM

He did (had it on his blog)

That was seven years ago.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

hbelkins

I guess what I was saying was that he would be a logical host for another Atlanta meet. Jim Georges came to that meet, but I don't think Freewayjim is all that much into meets.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.