Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mass_citizen

So since the "Worst of" thread seems to be getting filled with signs that are not "Worst of" I decided to create this. This is for all those interesting, odd, unique, bad (but not worst) and good (but not best) signs. I personally like looking at signs of all types and I think this is a good spot for those that are worth looking at, but not necessarily one of the extremes.

I'll submit one here:

http://goo.gl/maps/9RqdD

The arrow on this just looks way too long to me. Its almost as if they were trying to justify it with the legend. Thank god they didn't use the full spelling of Marlborough

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

sammi

Quote from: mass_citizen on December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

The arrow on this just looks way too long to me. Its almost as if they were trying to justify it with the legend. Thank god they didn't use the full spelling of Marlborough

Marlboro. ugh. :spin:

Isn't the arrow on that sign supposed to be the one pointing to the upper-right? Like the ones on overhead exit signs?

mass_citizen

mass_citizen

Quote from: sammi on December 04, 2013, 10:56:22 PM

Isn't the arrow on that sign supposed to be the one pointing to the upper-right? Like the ones on overhead exit signs?

The WB entrance a few hundred feet prior has the long arrow on one side for left turners and the diagonal arrow you are referring to on the other side

http://goo.gl/maps/gq0zY

hotdogPi

Going south on I-495 in Massachusetts, between exits 31 and 30, the shields for 2A and 110 on the exit sign are different fonts.

My picture is a bit strange because Google Maps censored I-495 going south.

http://goo.gl/maps/jpjB4
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

mass_citizen

looks like maybe the 2A fell off or deteriorated and was replaced with that larger bolder font.

formulanone

Condo association was told they couldn't have an impaled head-on-a-stick, so they improvised.

roadman

Quote from: 1 on December 05, 2013, 02:41:24 PM
Going south on I-495 in Massachusetts, between exits 31 and 30, the shields for 2A and 110 on the exit sign are different fonts.

More likely, it was just that the GSV guy hasn't yet driven both sides of the road.  I run into that problem quite often when using GSV.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

mass_citizen

Quote from: formulanone on December 05, 2013, 04:38:34 PM
Condo association was hold they couldn't have an impaled head-on-a-stick, so they improvised.

LOL. love improvisation.

getemngo

Quote from: roadman on December 05, 2013, 04:50:23 PM

More likely, it was just that the GSV guy hasn't yet driven both sides of the road.  I run into that problem quite often when using GSV.

At first I thought you meant the numbers "495" were censored somewhere, which the software sometimes does automatically, thinking it's a license plate.

That is weird... the blackout goes from the south end of Exit 32 to just north of Exit 27. Usually if it hasn't been driven, it won't let you place the marker there at all. And all the southbound on-/off-ramps in that stretch have been driven and are fine. Technical difficulties?
~ Sam from Michigan

roadman

Quote from: sammi on December 04, 2013, 10:56:22 PM

One of the peculiarities of MassDPW/MassHighway guide sign standards.  As the sign in question is inside the gore of an entrance ramp to a freeway, it's treated like an oversized "paddle" sign - hence the horizontal arrow as opposed to a slanted one.

As for Marlboro vs. Marlborough, the shorter spelling is still understood by drivers, and MassHighway was probably able to knock a foot or two off the panel width.  Not a big deal with only one sign, but when you consider the typical Massachusetts signing project has between 200 and 300 major guide signs alone, that difference can add up quickly.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

hotdogPi

Quote from: getemngo on December 05, 2013, 04:59:39 PM
That is weird... the blackout goes from the south end of Exit 32 to just north of Exit 27. Usually if it hasn't been driven, it won't let you place the marker there at all. And all the southbound on-/off-ramps in that stretch have been driven and are fine. Technical difficulties?

Seems to go as far north as exit 40.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

^ The Aggression and Extreme Prejudice Towards Others, Possibly Involving a Cardinal Direction; I tells 'ya.

Or, Armstrong Flower Fields in Carlsbad, California. The only time I've seen artwork to complement a couple of BGSs:

Signal

english si

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mass_citizen

Billy F 1988

Whoever put those football jersey type numbers on the US 64 sign must have been either an OU Sooners fan or an OSU Cowboys fan.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

The High Plains Traveler

"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

NE2

No, it's on a motorway. There's an overpass where they cross.

Central Avenue

Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

txstateends

Quote from: getemngo on December 05, 2013, 04:59:39 PM
Quote from: roadman on December 05, 2013, 04:50:23 PM

At first I thought you meant the numbers "495" were censored somewhere, which the software sometimes does automatically, thinking it's a license plate.

Maybe they should have gone to Walgreens to have their photos developed instead of CVS?? :D
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.