News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

Quote from: noelbotevera on March 05, 2017, 01:31:20 PM
I'm going to be posting this in the city photo game soon, so here's a sneak peek at what it is...

This sign has the D Modified legend I was referring to. Top line of legend.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Jet380

jakeroot

SignGeek101

How often is the name of a street mentioned in a "Cross traffic does not stop" sign? The "New" sign below is a standard and thus not unique.

https://goo.gl/maps/nkgHYgQ5tz32

At the intersection itself:

https://goo.gl/maps/hFSR3xWRvGM2

Eth

Quote from: SignGeek101 on April 12, 2017, 11:21:57 PM
How often is the name of a street mentioned in a "Cross traffic does not stop" sign?

About 50/50 in my experience, though I usually see it on the sign in your second photo itself. Don't think I've seen it posted this way before.

jakeroot

I'm used to seeing a variety of different typefaces in BC, but this stop sign outside of the PoCo Walmart Supercentre (east of Vancouver) is not one I've seen before. It reminds me of Futura but the "S" isn't right.

Scott5114

That would be Avant Garde.

Quite familiar with both since they're both used in my business's logo. They're both geometric sans serifs, but Futura has a much lower x-height and thus appears considerably more condensed. STOP is a difficult set of characters to compare off of, but note the terminals on the S (slanted on Futura, horizontal on Avant Garde).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 14, 2017, 05:00:14 AM
That would be Avant Garde.

Good info. Thanks!

Odd sign approaching the Old Yale Road roundabout in Langley, BC. It's a rather old diagrammatic sign (approaching ten years old AFAIK). I assume the local council decided that tilting the words didn't make the sign easier to read:

7/8

I found two of these "single-piece" signs for Oxford CR 59 today, which I was surprised about since I haven't seen many of these in my travels in Ontario. Even though I can see the benefits of putting the two shields and directional tabs on a single sign, it just doesn't look good to me.

D-Dey65

I found an interesting sign arrangement while doing some research on Missouri Route 87.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.3994033,-92.5634225,3a,75y,345.35h,80.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWUmfITeIPLpZzj5dKcIE6Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Why am I doing research on MO 87, you ask? Because part of it is overlapped by the Interstate 70 Business Loop in Boonville, Missouri.

plain

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 22, 2017, 09:51:47 AM
I found an interesting sign arrangement while doing some research on Missouri Route 87.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.3994033,-92.5634225,3a,75y,345.35h,80.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWUmfITeIPLpZzj5dKcIE6Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Why am I doing research on MO 87, you ask? Because part of it is overlapped by the Interstate 70 Business Loop in Boonville, Missouri.

Did they really need that much caution yellow on a 45 mph curve? The speed limit on that 2-lane road can't be no more than 55
Newark born, Richmond bred

MNHighwayMan

Speaking of Missouri...

What's the deal with this enormous thing? I found this yesterday at the junction of US-63/136 and MO-202. Is it some sort of MO thing I don't know about, or...?

jay8g

machias

Quote from: vtk on April 10, 2017, 11:22:02 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on March 05, 2017, 01:31:20 PM
I'm going to be posting this in the city photo game soon, so here's a sneak peek at what it is...

This sign has the D Modified legend I was referring to. Top line of legend.

Hmmm. I didn't think there was modified Series D button copy back in the day so I played around with it a little bit using today's Series D modified and Series E modified.

Using the same letter height, Series E modified is the same width as the entire legend but the letters look too bold. Using Series D, and three different versions at that (FHWA, Roadgeek and Georgia D), the legend is way too short in length, being about 3/4 of the length of the original version. The letter shapes match exactly to Georgia D, so I would say that it is Series D modified but with some additional spacing.  This little experiment after your comment about the lettering has been rather enlightening to me as that explains why non button copy Series E modified in all caps has always looked wrong to me. So the words "EXIT" and "MILE" on your average button copy BGS is in Series D modified, not Series E modified.

cjk374

Quote from: plain on April 22, 2017, 10:52:06 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 22, 2017, 09:51:47 AM

Did they really need that much caution yellow on a 45 mph curve? The speed limit on that 2-lane road can't be no more than 55

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 22, 2017, 04:49:33 PM
Speaking of Missouri...

What's the deal with this enormous thing? I found this yesterday at the junction of US-63/136 and MO-202. Is it some sort of MO thing I don't know about, or...?

I believe these to be Missouri things. When I was making regular trips up there, it seemed like I saw assemblies like those above all the time. I had been to Booneville several times. I want to go back & see what they did with the Katy Trail & the bridge over the Missouri River.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

riiga

Some temporary signage posted where a gantry ususally stands. Not the worst example I've seen, but far from good with its undersized symbols and shields, squashed text, and lack of colors.

jbnv

I'm not sure what my parish tax dollars are working on here, or why they're working on a minor side street instead of the adjacent US highway.

Speaking of clipped lozenges, here's one in Lafayette, LA. Says "RIGHT LANE ENDS AHEAD."

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

7/8

Here's a photo I took today of sign in Saskatoon, SK which lists all the different Pringle's (i.e. lane, link, court, etc) in the area. Apparently these signs are common the suburban areas, since there's a whole bunch of them on Stensrud Rd between Willowgrove Blvd and McOrmond Dr.

cjk374

Quote from: jbnv on April 23, 2017, 10:54:47 PM
I'm not sure what my parish tax dollars are working on here, or why they're working on a minor side street instead of the adjacent US highway.

Speaking of clipped lozenges, here's one in Lafayette, LA. Says "RIGHT LANE ENDS AHEAD."

Think about the tax dollars the parish used to make that sign. That could have bought a couple more shovel-fulls of pothole-patching material.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jakeroot

Quote from: cjk374 on April 24, 2017, 05:59:04 PM

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2834/34191904636_e63b1296ac.jpg

Think about the tax dollars the parish used to make that sign. That could have bought a couple more shovel-fulls of pothole-patching material.

I don't think the sign cost much of anything.

kkt

Perhaps your parish tax dollars are not working on the US highway because that's your state DOT's job?

jbnv

Quote from: kkt on April 24, 2017, 06:22:20 PM

Perhaps your parish tax dollars are not working on the US highway because that's your state DOT's job?

Nonetheless, I couldn't figure out what they were doing on that side street.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

freebrickproductions

Quote from: jbnv on April 24, 2017, 08:07:22 PM
Quote from: kkt on April 24, 2017, 06:22:20 PM

Nonetheless, I couldn't figure out what they were doing on that side street.
Putting up that sign. :pan:
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

freebrickproductions

Here's some stuff I've seen in the past 6 months around the southeast.
First, here's an interesting sign at a 3-way intersection here in Huntsville, AL:
Traffic From Left Not Required to Stop by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Here's the intersection for those who are curious.

Now moving on, a home-made T-intersection Ahead sign in Stevenson, AL:
Home-made T-intersection Ahead Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

This Slow School Zone sign in the same town (and on the same road) also looks rather old, but I found it more "odd" than "best of":
Slow School Zone by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

And in Decatur, AL, a School Zone Speed Limit sign that omits the "School" banner:
When Flashing by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Also from Decatur, "No Trucks with Trailers":
No Trucks With Trailers by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

And in Cullman County, AL, some county route shields that have "county" blanked out:
CR 1432 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

CR 1395/CR 1238 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

And in similar vain, apparently Jackson County, AL was to embarrassed by CR 591 for some reason and removed their name from this shield:
CR 591 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Up in Smyrna, TN, we have these weird Do Not Stop on Tracks signs:
Odd Do Not Stop on Tracks Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Also in Smyrna, while I'm certain these placards are in the MUTCD, never saw one before I saw this sign:
NOTICE by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
NOTICE by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

And then there's this interesting warning sign for the upcoming intersection, which takes into account the traffic circle and neighboring railroad crossing:
Interesting Intersection Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Interesting Intersection Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

And also near Smyrna is this odd I-24 trailblazer, which lacks the "TO" banner and has an interesting arrow to go with it:
Odd Arrow by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

And in La Vernge, TN, we have a sign with a lot of words where a Stop Here on Red sign and/or a Do Not Block Driveway(s) sign would work just as well:
Quite a bit to read... by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

La Vernge also has these interesting signs:
Emergency Vehicles Entering Highway by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

And in Christiana, TN, they have these odd street blades at intersections where the road name changes:
IMG_1048 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

On US 231 South in Shelbyville, TN, you've got these rather odd "Highway Undivides" signs:
Odd Signs by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

And heading into Georgia, I noticed that rather than having a standard School Speed Limit sign, they have these (even though the proper signs would actually be enforceable per the MUTCD):

And in Graysville, GA (a small unincorporated town near Chattanooga, TN that lost incorporation status in the 1990s, IIRC), they have this rectangular "Deaf Chile Area" sign:
Deaf Child Area by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Deaf Child Area by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

They also have this 25 MPH sign rather than an actual speed limit sign:
25 MPH by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
25 MPH by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

And going back to Madison County, AL, real quick, here's an interesting No Parking sign:
No Parking Trucks/Trailers by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

And now, in Smyrna, GA, it appears Smyrna, TN isn't the only Smyrna to have odd signage at railroad crossings. Here's a rather odd No Train Horn sign next to a crossing in Smyrna, GA (the crossing itself is also non-standard too, but that's a story for another time):
Odd No Train Horn Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Odd No Train Horn Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.