Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

Rothman

Quote from: Jeff Morrison on July 18, 2017, 12:02:04 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on May 04, 2017, 03:12:50 PM
Zooming into street view seems to work everywhere for me again.
My problem isn't zooming into Street View, it's trying to follow a freeway along Street View, clicking ahead, and then suddenly being transported to the road above/below. It's maddening.
Truth!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman

My problem isn't zooming into Street View, it's trying to follow a freeway along Street View, clicking ahead, and then suddenly being transported to the road above/below. It's maddening.

^^^^ This times ten thousand.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Roadsguy on May 04, 2017, 03:12:50 PM
Zooming into street view seems to work everywhere for me again.
That's always been an issue.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

Remember: Street View's "click where you want to go" function doesn't rely on an active AI that's able to comprehend exactly what you're looking at as you're looking at it. The system relies on pre-set data points. You don't realise it, but you've accidentally clicked on a data point for another road. I experience this issue rather often in Japan (elevated roads over other roads are common).

The one problem I have had with that clicking function is that, occasionally, I'll click somewhere, and it will throw me a mile away from where I was. Jumps like those are genuine errors, but Google has to fix them one by one.

Aerobird

I've recently, abruptly, had Google Maps in Firefox have all the labels appear upside down and backwards. It doesn't happen in lite mode, or in either mode in Chrome.

A check showed a thread complaning about this from several years ago, with no resolution...
Rule 37. There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

Plutonic Panda

This isn't Google Maps but it does relate to it. There is a blog I'd follow from time to time that covers all things Google Earth. The blogger has recently gotten fed up with Google and will no longer post much about it after a decade of running his blog.

https://www.gearthblog.com/

One thing I've noticed is they don't seem to be updating aerial/satellite imagery as much as they used to. Especially in OKC. They used to update it once or twice a year but it's been nearly a year since last update. Same thing in a few other cities.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 12, 2017, 10:59:48 PM
One thing I've noticed is they don't seem to be updating aerial/satellite imagery as much as they used to. Especially in OKC. They used to update it once or twice a year but it's been nearly a year since last update. Same thing in a few other cities.

When there was an imagery update, there was a little trick you could use to find out where it was updated. Zoom way out, slide the date slider to the current date (just a hair off of all the way to the right) and then click the slider left to see where the imagery became different ∴ updated imagery in that area. Now, since they made the update where blurry low-res imagery is available for every single year since 1984, you can't use that trick anymore.

SignGeek101

Well, it appears I can't change anything or get anything changed when it comes to errors. A week since I reported three errors to Google, and no response.

Also, how am I supposed to change information such as road type (arterial, freeway etc)? I feel like the options presented now are really primitive.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: SignGeek101 on August 31, 2017, 10:29:35 AM
Well, it appears I can't change anything or get anything changed when it comes to errors. A week since I reported three errors to Google, and no response.

Also, how am I supposed to change information such as road type (arterial, freeway etc)? I feel like the options presented now are really primitive.

I reported several errors months ago, and nothing has changed.  CT 31 is still a county route north of US 44, someone put a restaurant on a corner where a library is (and misspelled the name of it and put it 4 miles from its correct location) and a Rite Aid is on the wrong side of the street.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

JJBers

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 31, 2017, 04:41:41 PM

I reported several errors months ago, and nothing has changed.  CT 31 is still a county route north of US 44, someone put a restaurant on a corner where a library is (and misspelled the name of it and put it 4 miles from its correct location) and a Rite Aid is on the wrong side of the street.
I can fix those last two things, just send the links to the places.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

jakeroot

A good way to get on Google's "trusted" side is to send a link along with your error report, often a website with the correct information, so that Google isn't just taking your word for things.

I've been sending errors to El Goog for a long time, always with a link attached. Nowadays, most errors I report are fixed within 24 hours.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: JJBers on August 31, 2017, 06:24:15 PM

First one at the corner of CT 10 and CT 120.  The correct location is already accounted for, so it needs to be deleted.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5964205,-72.8778859,19z

Second one:  Rite Aid.  Location info correct, but location on map incorrect.  Needs to be the building across CT 10 where the pharmacist's name is.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5987352,-72.8780281,19z
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

JJBers

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 31, 2017, 09:08:30 PM
Quote from: JJBers on August 31, 2017, 06:24:15 PM

First one at the corner of CT 10 and CT 120.  The correct location is already accounted for, so it needs to be deleted.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5964205,-72.8778859,19z

Second one:  Rite Aid.  Location info correct, but location on map incorrect.  Needs to be the building across CT 10 where the pharmacist's name is.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5987352,-72.8780281,19z
Alright, and done, it may take a while to fix it on every server....
Also, funny, I've been to the library before.
Also if you look closly, you can see there's two Rite-Aid markers, but that should be fixed.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

Great Lakes Roads

jakeroot

JJBers

Quote from: jakeroot on September 18, 2017, 08:41:57 PM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on September 18, 2017, 07:31:44 PM
Um... no comment...

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2892003,-115.1005193,14.51z

Looking past the mistake for a moment, those interchanges are ridiculously close to one another.
Even better, the imagery shows that the highway isn't even built in the center.
Also two Targets and Walmarts 3 miles apart...jesus,
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

7/8

I'm not happy with recent improvements to their Android app. Here's a screenshot with two of my complaints:

1) I hate the part on the left. It pops up constantly and I never use it!
2) The compass in the top right has been replaced with an icon that lets you switch map types. So how do I get my map to show true north again? (other than closing the app and reopening it)

Quote from: 7/8 on October 07, 2017, 04:34:42 PM
I'm not happy with recent improvements to their Android app. Here's a screenshot with two of my complaints:

2) The compass in the top right has been replaced with an icon that lets you switch map types. So how do I get my map to show true north again? (other than closing the app and reopening it)

I never use the sidebar on the left either, and what's worse is that I don't even think there's a way to avoid showing it.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

7/8

Quote from: 20160805 on October 07, 2017, 05:15:23 PM

I never use the sidebar on the left either, and what's worse is that I don't even think there's a way to avoid showing it.

You can press the left-pointing arrow, but it comes back everytime I re-enter the app, or leave street view :pan:

vdeane

Seriously, how clueless can Google be?  Have they ever even USED their Android app before?  If they did, they'd realize that it is TRIVIALLY easy to accidentally change the direction it faces when trying to zoom and that the compass was essential.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alex4897

My Android app is behaving just fine, the compass appears beneath the new layers button whenever I rotate away from true north.

👉😎👉

jakeroot

^^
My compass also shows up just fine. I think you're experiencing a bug, 7/8.

Quote from: vdeane on October 07, 2017, 09:27:26 PM
Seriously, how clueless can Google be?  Have they ever even USED their Android app before?  If they did, they'd realize that it is TRIVIALLY easy to accidentally change the direction it faces when trying to zoom and that the compass was essential.

Is this comment based on your experience with the app, or 7/8's post?

7/8

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet. Maybe the mobile version is different?

jakeroot

Quote from: 7/8 on October 08, 2017, 10:44:21 AM

I will need to test it on my Tab S3. The mobile version shares a substantial amount of code with the tablet version, so it surprises me that a bug may exist on the tablet that doesn't exist on the phone. But there is some variation in code, so the possibility is still there. I'll let you know.

US71

Quote from: jakeroot on October 08, 2017, 06:45:43 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on October 08, 2017, 10:44:21 AM

I will need to test it on my Tab S3. The mobile version shares a substantial amount of code with the tablet version, so it surprises me that a bug may exist on the tablet that doesn't exist on the phone. But there is some variation in code, so the possibility is still there. I'll let you know.

I had to fix a error on Google today. It showed a campground 5 miles west of where it should be. I reported it, corrected it, and am waiting to see if they corrections holds.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.