News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Three lanes of I-5 closed in southbound I-5 in Seattle

Started by kkt, May 29, 2014, 10:24:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

An expansion joint in southbound I-5 just south of I-90 has buckled.  Three of the five lanes are closed.  Traffic is backed up 7 miles according to NPR.  WA-99 is a working alternate, but very backed up as well.  For regional travelers, I-405 is a better bypass.

New to Seattle

Man alive..... everything within 2 miles of the Montlake Bridge was backed up today. It gives a double sense of how precarious our road infrastructure here is (both because this kind of incident happened, and because all it took was that one closure to screw up traffic all over the north end). I shudder to think how things will be after the Metro route cuts in the fall.

Henry

At least there wasn't an earthquake! It would be frightening to see additional damage to the roads after that.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

This is reminding of the Skagit River Bridge incident.

Kacie Jane

Thank you for that very necessary bump.  It's good to know that three lanes being closed and repaired within a day remind you of a bridge falling into the river and the entire freeway being closed in both directions for a month.

No, just more of a 1960's vintage freeway with maintenance problems and suddenly a piece of the freeway buckles which could or could not have to do with the condition of the freeway structural-wise reminded me of the bridge collapse. And I'm sorry if you found the relation un-necessary but there's no need to be rude about it.

kkt

The Skagit bridge was structurally okay.  Driving over it with a load that was too big for it was the problem.  There's always going to be some load that's too big for a bridge.

TEG24601

I'm just imaging the future when they realize that elevating most of I-5 through Seattle wasn't a good idea, and they have to either replace the bridges or remove them and build into the hillside, like they should have in the first place.  It will make the viaduct construction look like a cakewalk.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

kkt

Quote from: TEG24601 on September 08, 2014, 12:41:41 PM
I'm just imaging the future when they realize that elevating most of I-5 through Seattle wasn't a good idea, and they have to either replace the bridges or remove them and build into the hillside, like they should have in the first place.  It will make the viaduct construction look like a cakewalk.

Seattle's hilly.  Some portions are under ground level, other portions are above ground level.  If you tried to build it all under ground level, you'd run into the waterways and have to choose between a very deep tunnel, below the ships' bottoms, and a high level bridge.  Tunnel underwater would be extremely expensive, high level bridge from a below-grade freeway would require too long approaches.

I think we're stuck with the elevated roadways.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: kkt on September 08, 2014, 03:36:39 AM
The Skagit bridge was structurally okay.  Driving over it with a load that was too big for it was the problem.  There's always going to be some load that's too big for a bridge.

If this is the event I'm thinking of, a truck was dragging a chain which damaged the expansion joint.  So I suppose it did have something in common with the Skagit Bridge: while better maintenance certainly wouldn't have hurt, the actual incident was caused by drivers being idiots.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.