News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 12, 2017, 09:09:23 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on March 12, 2017, 08:43:05 PM
Say what you think Roadman65; don't hold back! LOL

But he makes a great point about GPSs (and any online mapping program).  They are still atrociously bad when it comes to toll plazas.  They rarely (if ever) indicate which way to go if you have EZ Pass and express lanes are available, or if they should go towards the cash lanes and pay a toll.  While the GPSs don't know if you have an EZ Pass, it could say "Toll Plaza in 1 mile. Stay Left if you have EZ Pass, Stay Right to pay cash".

Sure, the motorist should be able to read the signs and figure that out themselves.  Then again, you're dealing with people that should also be able to drive the majority of their trip without needing the GPS to begin with. 
Amen on that one. 

I wonder how long its going to take before you see your first semi north of 105 being truckers now need the GPS as they no longer know the roads like us anymore and the death of the CB use among them?  If one made it to the Merrit Parkway with ultra low overpasses the day should come, if it has not already.

Heck on I-4 we do not allow Trucks in the left lane from SR 528 to I-75 with large white signs unlike NJ with the standard rectangular signs, yet I have seen truckers ignore them and just pass slower trucks and cars a few times already.  You would figure that because the North-East had that left lane ban for centuries seeing that sign on I-4 would trigger something in the mind with the truckers, but obviously not.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on March 15, 2017, 09:38:09 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 12, 2017, 09:09:23 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on March 12, 2017, 08:43:05 PM
Say what you think Roadman65; don't hold back! LOL

But he makes a great point about GPSs (and any online mapping program).  They are still atrociously bad when it comes to toll plazas.  They rarely (if ever) indicate which way to go if you have EZ Pass and express lanes are available, or if they should go towards the cash lanes and pay a toll.  While the GPSs don't know if you have an EZ Pass, it could say "Toll Plaza in 1 mile. Stay Left if you have EZ Pass, Stay Right to pay cash".

Sure, the motorist should be able to read the signs and figure that out themselves.  Then again, you're dealing with people that should also be able to drive the majority of their trip without needing the GPS to begin with. 
Amen on that one. 

I wonder how long its going to take before you see your first semi north of 105 being truckers now need the GPS as they no longer know the roads like us anymore and the death of the CB use among them?  If one made it to the Merrit Parkway with ultra low overpasses the day should come, if it has not already.

Heck on I-4 we do not allow Trucks in the left lane from SR 528 to I-75 with large white signs unlike NJ with the standard rectangular signs, yet I have seen truckers ignore them and just pass slower trucks and cars a few times already.  You would figure that because the North-East had that left lane ban for centuries seeing that sign on I-4 would trigger something in the mind with the truckers, but obviously not.

It's always happened, well before the GPS days.  Heck, they even have toll rates for truckers at the plazas north of 105.  They just collect the toll...and either let them know they don't belong there, or let the State Police take care of them.

storm2k

Crews were out doing signage work beyond the Raritan toll plaza last night. The lane split sign was being replaced. Looks like the new sign had the same legend, it's just smaller and no VMS in the middle of it (which they never did much with anyway). Also, this Parkway divides sign was replaced with a much simpler "North Parkway to 95/NJ Turnpike" (in shields, not words) with 4 down arrows.

Rothman

So...how do people know to stay right for the Exit 127 with the new signage?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

storm2k

Quote from: Rothman on March 22, 2017, 04:18:23 PM
So...how do people know to stay right for the Exit 127 with the new signage?

The following sets of signs show Exit 127 to use the right 3 lanes and the Parkway to Turnpike to use the left lanes. It actually makes much more sense now.

roadman65

At least its down to two control cities for the exits which is one less than total shields for the exit.  :bigass:

Anyway, that is a big exit to sign is simple is difficult but can't wait to see it.

The ramp split on 127 needs better signs as now it appears that the right ramp is exclusively for NJ 440 EB ( yes NB, but it used to EB and that direction was more suited for it IMO) as major post foundations would need to be installed for a full gantry that is really needed. However the NJ 440 overpass signs do well to aid in the missing panel.  The bridge on the 127 ramp is the original Parkway NB alignment when it used to be east of US 9 as the US highway ran the median of the Parkway with the New Brunswick Avenue interchange on US 9 being a former Parkway interchange then.  The bridge was barely equipped with supporting the two side mast gantries that are there for US 9 NB and NJ 440 EB hence why the way that awkward set up is.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on March 26, 2017, 12:24:06 PM
At least its down to two control cities for the exits which is one less than total shields for the exit.  :bigass:

Anyway, that is a big exit to sign is simple is difficult but can't wait to see it.

The ramp split on 127 needs better signs as now it appears that the right ramp is exclusively for NJ 440 EB ( yes NB, but it used to EB and that direction was more suited for it IMO) as major post foundations would need to be installed for a full gantry that is really needed. However the NJ 440 overpass signs do well to aid in the missing panel.  The bridge on the 127 ramp is the original Parkway NB alignment when it used to be east of US 9 as the US highway ran the median of the Parkway with the New Brunswick Avenue interchange on US 9 being a former Parkway interchange then.  The bridge was barely equipped with supporting the two side mast gantries that are there for US 9 NB and NJ 440 EB hence why the way that awkward set up is.

Those signs were replaced late last year. Just MUCTD-ified versions of the originals. They did put up an actual sign bridge for them, with big concrete supports so the signs aren't on the overpass anymore. 440SB signs include Raritan Center now.

Never knew that the Parkway was on the outer lanes (now Rt 9) before! It looks so weird to see what that was all like before the tangle was built.

roadman65

Raritan Center is worthless as its mainly a destination for Truckers who are not allowed on the Parkway.  I think that Somerville should be used as its I-287's first main city as 440 has none in its 2 miles of freeway in that direction.

Yes the interchange looks a lot different back then in historic aerials.  Left hand exits for US 9 and only the NB  US 9 to the GSP was right side right after the now removed Smith Street ramp.  As a kid, my dad who shunpiked the Parkway used Routes 9 and 35 a lot to go down the shore, and we would cross the Edison Bridge to enter the Parkway right after.  The tangle changed everything now, and hard to imagine it without it especially the lack of direct connection to the NJ Turnpike from the NB Parkway which is one of the busiest ramps in the tri-state area. 

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on March 27, 2017, 08:43:27 AM
Raritan Center is worthless as its mainly a destination for Truckers who are not allowed on the Parkway.  I think that Somerville should be used as its I-287's first main city as 440 has none in its 2 miles of freeway in that direction.

Yes the interchange looks a lot different back then in historic aerials.  Left hand exits for US 9 and only the NB  US 9 to the GSP was right side right after the now removed Smith Street ramp.  As a kid, my dad who shunpiked the Parkway used Routes 9 and 35 a lot to go down the shore, and we would cross the Edison Bridge to enter the Parkway right after.  The tangle changed everything now, and hard to imagine it without it especially the lack of direct connection to the NJ Turnpike from the NB Parkway which is one of the busiest ramps in the tri-state area. 

Somerville isn't really a useful control city if you ask me. It's only served by one signed exit (13B). Raritan Center is a pretty sprawling office complex these days with a lot of traffic in and out, so I'm fine with it. It's way better than Bonhamtown which used to be NJDOT's preferred slice of nowhere to sign.

SignBridge

Seems to me both Somerville and Raritan Ctr. are good destinations, though I'm not sure Raritan Ctr. would be MUTCD approved 'cause it's not an official place name. But who cares as long as it's useful at that location.

NE2

Quote from: storm2k on March 27, 2017, 03:25:29 PM
It's only served by one signed exit (13B).
What a silly criterion. Wilmington is only served by one exit from the New Jersey Turnpike. Harrisburg by only one from I-78.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on March 27, 2017, 09:43:51 PM
Quote from: storm2k on March 27, 2017, 03:25:29 PM
It's only served by one signed exit (13B).
What a silly criterion. Wilmington is only served by one exit from the New Jersey Turnpike. Harrisburg by only one from I-78.
New York City is served by only one exit from I-80.

NE2

Quote from: Alps on March 27, 2017, 10:28:25 PM
I thought about that example but it's arguably signed at exit 53 (Lincoln Tunnel).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on March 27, 2017, 10:45:03 PM
Quote from: Alps on March 27, 2017, 10:28:25 PM
I thought about that example but it's arguably signed at exit 53 (Lincoln Tunnel).
There are any number of exits you can TAKE to get there, but only one really SERVES it. Exit 53 serves Wayne and Clifton more than anything else. Anyway yes, point being that a control city is about importance, not service.

roadman65

Somerville is served by one exit on US 22 and that is its primary control city from Hillside westward.

It may not be major but many others used are far less importance.  Remember, you can't use Morristown from that location due to I-78 and NJ 24 are the better way to go.  Mahwah is too far out and better reached from Exit 163 and NJ 17.

Raritan Center is maybe the booming office park that was once industrial only, but its not a destination for a freeway especially so close.  I will admit its important, but not for the NJ 440/ I-287 to use for a long range control city.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

NJTA hearing scheduled for new toll rate at SB Exit 125.

I think this is one of those legally required things before they can start charging tolls at the new ramp.

Key takeaway from the release is that they are sticking with it being an EZ-Pass only ramp. The idea of any kind of cash collections at that ramp seem to be off the table (as they should be).

storm2k

I was finally able to grab a picture of the new advance signage for the Raritan toll plaza. This is the one just before the Driscoll Bridge.

If you're actually going by the MUTCD (in this case, 2F.15), the legend "Toll Plaza ByPass" should not be included. Even if there's a giant EZ-Pass logo underneath it, it looks like you get out of the toll otherwise. Not sure why they went with that in the slightest. Also, they should have omitted "Full Service" on the right hand side, as that's redundant. Basically, they quasi-followed the MUTCD requirements on this one. Also interesting, they don't mention 123 on the right hand side anymore. It's sometimes difficult to roll through the Express EZ-Pass and get over to the local lanes to the right for 123, so I would have figured they'd leave it.

roadman65

Yeah toll plaza bypass is the wrong thing to say, as really say NO CASH.    Full service is a no no unless they take debit/credit which I am sure they get many now who drive without cash.  I do know that even with the word cash people whip out the old card to pay for tolls in Florida to only get mad that FDOT should be in the 21st Century and accept them.

I do not know if the Parkway and Turnpike accept MC and Visa, but I will bet no  becasuethat credit cards are not mentioned here and the fact the NJTA would lose money because the fees that MC and Visa collect from transactions.  I know ISTA and KTA take em out west, but many roads still rely on cash or prepaid tolls. I guess Illinois and Kansas are willing to sacrifice some revenue or whatever.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

They don't take any credit cards...unless you want to consider EZ Pass, which accepts credit cards.

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on April 29, 2017, 11:39:58 AM
Yeah toll plaza bypass is the wrong thing to say, as really say NO CASH.    Full service is a no no unless they take debit/credit which I am sure they get many now who drive without cash.  I do know that even with the word cash people whip out the old card to pay for tolls in Florida to only get mad that FDOT should be in the 21st Century and accept them.

I do not know if the Parkway and Turnpike accept MC and Visa, but I will bet no  becasuethat credit cards are not mentioned here and the fact the NJTA would lose money because the fees that MC and Visa collect from transactions.  I know ISTA and KTA take em out west, but many roads still rely on cash or prepaid tolls. I guess Illinois and Kansas are willing to sacrifice some revenue or whatever.

They certainly don't. If they would have just omitted the top lines on both parts of the sign, it would be been perfect MUTCD compliant signage, and actually a bit less confusing than the signage they used to use for Express EZ-Pass.

compdude787

What?! They don't accept debit or credit cards? That's pretty stupid. I don't ever carry cash with me, ever since I got my debit card a few years ago.

PHLBOS

Quote from: compdude787 on May 03, 2017, 02:30:16 PM
What?! They don't accept debit or credit cards? That's pretty stupid. I don't ever carry cash with me, ever since I got my debit card a few years ago.
Side bar question: outside of E-ZPass (or equivalent) accounts; how many toll road agencies actually accept credit/debit card toll payment on-the-spot (i.e. at the tollbooth)? 

My guess would be none for the simple reason that such transactions at a toll booth would be more time-consuming than simple cash exchanges.  Cash tolls & tollbooths have been around well (read: decades) before E-ZPass and AET.

Here's some advice; if you don't have E-ZPass and the tolled facility is not AET, check out on-line what the tolls rates are prior to your trip and bring the appropriate amount of cash with you.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Beeper1

Only toll facility I know of that takes credit cards is the Confederation Bridge to PEI.

Alps

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/transportation/Pennsylvania-Turnpike-toll-collectors-will-accept-credit-cards.html

There are even automatic machines on some roads - I want to say either Texas or California features this.

storm2k

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 03, 2017, 03:37:04 PM
Quote from: compdude787 on May 03, 2017, 02:30:16 PM
Side bar question: outside of E-ZPass (or equivalent) accounts; how many toll road agencies actually accept credit/debit card toll payment on-the-spot (i.e. at the tollbooth)? 

My guess would be none for the simple reason that such transactions at a toll booth would be more time-consuming than simple cash exchanges.  Cash tolls & tollbooths have been around well (read: decades) before E-ZPass and AET.

Here's some advice; if you don't have E-ZPass and the tolled facility is not AET, check out on-line what the tolls rates are prior to your trip and bring the appropriate amount of cash with you.

The Indiana Toll Road accepts credit cards.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.