News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Subtle change in font?

Started by hbelkins, September 04, 2014, 11:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Rebooted this morning (MacBook Pro with Chrome as my browser) and I'm seeing a subtle change in the forum font. I can't put my finger on exactly what's changed, but it looks different today than it did last night.

Did something get tweaked overnight, or did my reboot cause Chrome to do funny things?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Zeffy

I'm not noticing anything different on my Firefox browser running Windows 8.1.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

on_wisconsin

No change here. (Windows 7, Firefox 32)
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

1995hoo

I haven't noticed any difference either on my PC (Windows 7, Waterfox 31.0) or on my iPad (iOS 7 and Safari).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

The last Chrome update for Windows updated the font rendering engine.  That might be it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

I've noticed some changes on other pages too. I must have installed an update when I quit Chrome and restarted my Mac.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

theline

I've noticed the change in fonts in Chrome too, on those things that I do in Chrome, like Gmail. I generally read AA Roads in IE. No font change there.

Alps

I noticed it and I thought I screwed something up with my browser. OK, it's not me.

vdeane

I've noticed the new font renderer seems to screw up the Roadgeek 2005 font I use for my exit lists; I may have to upgrade my site to 2014.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

formulanone

The forum fonts look a little more rounded in Chrome, and appear a tiny bit smaller.

FLRoads

I noticed the subtle font difference this morning when I was looking at some of the site pages, but didn't really think too much into it. It's very subtle, but its there.

After seeing this thread I did a search to see what Google did to Chrome. While I didn't find anything out about why they tweeked the font style, I did find a way to revert the font back:

Open a new tab and in the url window, type (or copy and paste) this link:

chrome://flags

Press the ENTER key.

Find on the page the following "experiment":

Disable DirectWrite Windows
Disables the use of experimental DirectWrite font rendering system. #disable-direct-write
Enable

Click the Enable link. This will set the font rendering system as disabled.

Click on the Relaunch Now button at the bottom of the page to activate the change.

Your Chrome broswer tab(s) should all refresh and the font should revert back. I checked this out toggling back and forth on a couple of AARoads guides and it worked for me.

Hope this helps anyone not liking the change in fonts!

lordsutch

They tweaked the font style because DirectWrite is the correct API for modern displays with high pixel densities, and because that way Chrome's font rendering will match that of other modern Windows apps. See http://blog.chromium.org/2014/07/chrome-37-beta-directwrite-on-windows.html

Alex

Had to revert my fonts back, because most fonts on other websites defaulted to bold. This happened to me before with a Windows update, and I hated it. Glad the fix this time was easier; the fix prior was a system restore...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.