News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-26 in Asheville

Started by Gnutella, September 19, 2014, 06:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

I have a feeling this will be scaled back, and ultimately will be reconstructed mostly as-is, with no new lanes, and spot safety improvements.

mvak36

Quote from: hbelkins on December 04, 2015, 04:38:43 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on December 04, 2015, 11:11:38 AM
As long as the possibility that Clinton's plan would fund interstate upgrades of ARC corridors is being discussed, then I'd like to throw Corridor B's hat into the ring for an acceleration of the plans to completely upgrade it to I-26.  :awesomeface:

Not needed in Virginia or Kentucky. The existing four-lane US 23 moves traffic just fine, except in Coal Run Village (commercial area north of Pikeville) and downtown Ashland, and in the Weber City area between the TN/VA line and Gate City.

I'd settle for them just getting the part in NC done.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

WashuOtaku

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 04, 2015, 04:46:22 PM
I have a feeling this will be scaled back, and ultimately will be reconstructed mostly as-is, with no new lanes, and spot safety improvements.

I don't think they will, the state knows they need something there long term and not a band-aid.  At issue is the locals that live in fantasy land thinking they live in a small community.

The Ghostbuster

The state may know, but will the locals allow it? Fantasy land or not, NIMBYs can wield a lot of power.

Mileage Mike

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 07, 2015, 03:01:45 PM
The state may know, but will the locals allow it? Fantasy land or not, NIMBYs can wield a lot of power.

Yes they do I agree. Especially in Asheville there are tons of them.  It's not looking good for this project.

ARMOURERERIC

Asheville paper is reporting that the project has been moved up from 2030 to 2023.

Buck87

Quote from: WashuOtaku on September 24, 2014, 05:12:52 PM

I believe since its three sections for the entire project, one of the sections may start sooner.  If anything else, they have a lovely video explaining everything.

Quote from: WashuOtaku on November 08, 2015, 11:08:02 AM
The upcoming November 16th Open House and Public Hearing will have this handout on the I-26 Connector, providing the purpose and the alternatives that are being considered.  Sadly, the shovels will not hit the ground till 2021 at the earliest.

That video doesn't exist anymore and the link to the handout leads to a 404 error.

Is there another place where they exist in either their original or updated form?

Alex

Quote from: Buck87 on January 19, 2016, 02:37:57 PM
That video doesn't exist anymore and the link to the handout leads to a 404 error.

Is there another place where they exist in either their original or updated form?

Carter just shared this with me yesterday on the project: https://vimeo.com/ursci/review/145667973/d06fb7bdc8

It goes in depth with all three sections and the various alternatives considered.

Buck87

^ Thanks! That video was very well made.

I really hope they can get any one of the alternatives done that separates (future) 26 from its current crossing of the French Broad River. Navigating Asheville is my least favorite part of driving the US 23 corridor from Ohio to Georgia.

mvak36

mvak36

The Ghostbuster

The sooner the project is built, the sooner Interstate 26 will be a completed highway between Charleston and the Tennessee/Virginia border.

bob7374

Quote from: mvak36 on May 19, 2016, 02:33:18 PM
According to the following articles, NCDOT has picked the alternatives for the 3 sections of the connector project.

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/20160519/articles/160519818?p=1&tc=pg
http://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2016/05/18/connector-route-taking-traffic-off-bowen-bridge-picked/84564592/
I see they still though haven't committed to the number of lanes for the I-240 segment, that's still to be decided at a later date.

Strider

which should be 6 lanes. 8 is overkill.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Strider on May 20, 2016, 02:09:07 AM
which should be 6 lanes. 8 is overkill.

But eight is future-proofing it.  At the very least get the right-of-way to make sure widening isn't an issue later on, if needed.

orulz

I agree kinda, build it for 6 lanes with a nice 24 foot wide landscaped median. If 20 years from now traffic is bad enough, people won't care about losing the landscaped median.

LGL33L

mvak36

Another article: http://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2016/05/19/-26-connector-friday/84587156/

As others have mentioned, the number of lanes for the widening still TBD.

Detailed maps for each sections available at http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/i26connector/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.