News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

RIP-Rochester Inner Loop East

Started by ARMOURERERIC, November 23, 2014, 03:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: Buffaboy on November 27, 2014, 10:59:20 PM
These days once an expressway goes and 20 years later car traffic increases, would it be harder to reimplement a highway like this?

Or, if like in the case of cities where development has long occurred on land in old highway plans, would it be possible when eminent domain is considered?
The correct answer is that DOTs look at least 20 years out when considering potential design solutions.

Alps

empirestate

Well, I did get my final lap on the Inner Loop during my recent 36-hour visit to Rochester. Nothing to report about it, except that there was a portable VMS announcing the closure, and a small group of barricades scattered here and there, ready to be deployed.

A couple other things I did while in town:

–Drove southbound on North Clinton Ave. in downtown, turning from Mortimer St. by the new bus terminal that turned out to have opened that very morning (Friday). Sections of both Clinton and St. Paul Streets have been converted to two-way traffic to accommodate bus traffic.

(EDIT: I also drove down St. Paul without even noticing it had changed!)

–Drove down Cortland Street, which hadn't been possible during my lifetime (and most of my parents'). It and a few other streets have been re-opened through the site of Midtown Plaza.

–Passed several times through the Access 390 project area, where new ramps to I-390 northbound have been opened from Kendrick Road and NY 15 northbound. I actually used the latter, a loop ramp elevated over the Erie Canal. The former NY 15 onramp is closed at present, and will re-open as a ramp from NY 15 southbound only.

cl94

I have a bunch of pictures from my trip yesterday. I'll post them as soon as I get a chance to. Got one of the 2 portable VMSes mentioned above, along with some holdout button copy from along I-490 at NY 33.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

You can really see the lack of coordination between Rochester and NYSDOT.  The Inner Loop just got some new signs recently at the edges of the closed portion, such as these:

Access 390:

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

apete2

Here is a link to a gallery I shot last night, RIP inner loop east

http://apeterson.smugmug.com/Life-in-Rochester-NY/Inner-Loop-East-Reconstruction/

RIP button copy sign

Alex

Pete from Boston

The opportunity for an excellent car/bike/skate/etc racing course is really being squandered. 

Dougtone

Now that the Inner Loop is no longer a loop, Google Maps has updated its imagery and it looks... different.

http://www.rochestersubway.com/topics/2014/12/see-ya-later-inner-loop-hello-inner-horseshoe/#more-9660

vdeane

It looks REALLY WEIRD.  And sad.  Perhaps we should have an Inner Loop funeral?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

freebrickproductions

Does anyone have any photos of the closed section after it has been closed?
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Alps

Quote from: Dougtone on December 11, 2014, 08:14:42 AM
Now that the Inner Loop is no longer a loop, Google Maps has updated its imagery and it looks... different.

http://www.rochestersubway.com/topics/2014/12/see-ya-later-inner-loop-hello-inner-horseshoe/#more-9660
You kidding me? One week later and it's already changed, and we STILL don't have the Turnpike dualized to Exit 6?

NE2

Other than the West Side Highway, is this the first "through" (as opposed to stub) freeway in the U.S. to be removed? (I say through very loosely, since it didn't link I-490 to any other freeways, and was only available at an alternate route eastbound.)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ixnay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG6-04F35ig (counterclockwise, the direction I drove for a lap and a half in 1987)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkTH1njhBIo (clockwise)

Thank you roadwaywiz.

BTW I don't remember that twin arch bridge.  Was it built post-1987?

Also BTW I always liked those guardrails on bridges on and over the Dewey/Harriman/Rockefeller-era superhighways in NYS (and I know about Moses' influence in some of those).    So many freeways were built on Rockefeller's watch, I call them "Rocky roads".

ixnay

Duke87

Quote from: NE2 on December 11, 2014, 08:20:22 PM
Other than the West Side Highway, is this the first "through" (as opposed to stub) freeway in the U.S. to be removed? (I say through very loosely, since it didn't link I-490 to any other freeways, and was only available at an alternate route eastbound.)

MA 79
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

NE2

Quote from: Duke87 on December 11, 2014, 11:22:45 PM
Quote from: NE2 on December 11, 2014, 08:20:22 PM

MA 79
Huh, first I'd heard of that one. It definitely seems to fit the bill, with the sole exception that westbound to northbound will remain freeway-to-freeway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkP1RiZ4Qqw#t=204

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Half of the Robert Moses Parkway was removed, though how much you want to call it a "through freeway" or how much you want to say it's lost that status is up to you.

adventurernumber1

I noticed that part of the inner loop was gone on Google Maps as long as a few days ago.

Also, thinks for giving us the links to those road videos, ixnay. I've never really known what the inner loop looked like.  :-P
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Alex

Quote from: ixnay on December 11, 2014, 09:57:32 PM
BTW I don't remember that twin arch bridge.  Was it built post-1987?

ixnay

The arch bridge was constructed in 2005:

I taped video of the Inner Loop in 1991. Haven't been back up there since 2005.

mrsman

Quote from: vdeane on December 01, 2014, 01:18:57 PM
You can really see the lack of coordination between Rochester and NYSDOT.  The Inner Loop just got some new signs recently at the edges of the closed portion,

Is there a possibiltiy that the signs can be reused some how here or on other roadways?

vdeane

Duke87

Quote from: NE2 on December 12, 2014, 12:20:05 AM
Quote from: Duke87 on December 11, 2014, 11:22:45 PM
MA 79
Huh, first I'd heard of that one. It definitely seems to fit the bill, with the sole exception that westbound to northbound will remain freeway-to-freeway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkP1RiZ4Qqw#t=204

Now that I did not know. I knew they were removing the entire viaduct, but I thought it was all being replaced with arterial, not half of it with arterial and half with ground level freeway.

But it's a lot more sensible the way they're doing it. Even if that viaduct was incredibly badass it was basically Fall River's Embarcadero.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

Does anyone have a map of the plans?  I have a hard time conceiving of what a half-freeway, half-boulevard road would look like, and the animation is rather small.  As best I can tell, it appears they are constructing a breezewood.

NE2

Quote from: vdeane on December 13, 2014, 01:41:34 PM
Does anyone have a map of the plans?  I have a hard time conceiving of what a half-freeway, half-boulevard road would look like, and the animation is rather small.
The animation is 1280x720...

Essentially the freeway ends north of the double-decker. The only reason the westbound to northbound ramp is freeway-to-freeway is that there's a railroad to the east.

froggie

QuoteOther than the West Side Highway, is this the first "through" (as opposed to stub) freeway in the U.S. to be removed? (I say through very loosely, since it didn't link I-490 to any other freeways, and was only available at an alternate route eastbound.)

Harbor Dr in Portland, OR (former US 99W).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.