News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Chicago Cubs Win the 2015 World Series!

Started by Henry, December 11, 2014, 11:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: US 41 on October 21, 2015, 10:16:36 PM
Quote from: Big John on October 21, 2015, 08:54:11 PM
Or they just correctly predicted the last day the Cubs will play in 2015?

Yep, the Cubs are down 6-1 at the top of the 6th. It looks like they will be the ones getting swept on October 21, 2015.

Aaaaaaand they're out. Fuck.

US71

Quote from: jakeroot on October 21, 2015, 11:48:14 PM
Quote from: US 41 on October 21, 2015, 10:16:36 PM
Quote from: Big John on October 21, 2015, 08:54:11 PM
Or they just correctly predicted the last day the Cubs will play in 2015?

Yep, the Cubs are down 6-1 at the top of the 6th. It looks like they will be the ones getting swept on October 21, 2015.

Aaaaaaand they're out. Fuck.

What he said  :thumbdown:  :-( 
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

CNGL-Leudimin

Damnit. Now it's time to change Back to the Future II to show what actually happened. I won't be greeting the NY Mets if they win the World Series (As a matter of fact, I never greet FC Barcelona since I hate them). From now I'll be rooting for the Royals. But I still believe the Cubs will win again the World Series before I die.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

US71

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 22, 2015, 09:48:03 AM
Damnit. Now it's time to change Back to the Future II to show what actually happened. I won't be greeting the NY Mets if they win the World Series (As a matter of fact, I never greet FC Barcelona since I hate them). From now I'll be rooting for the Royals. But I still believe the Cubs will win again the World Series before I die.

Well, a wise old Doctor was once fond of saying "while there's life, there's hope".
Cubs had a good run this year. Maybe next year they can go all the way.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Henry

It's funny, and sad, how the Cubs' 2015 seasons ended on the same day, and in the same way. Only in the real world, instead of sweeping the Miami Gators in the World Series, they got swept by the Mets in the NLCS.

Whoever wins the ALCS, I will be rooting for them in the Fall Classic.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Henry on October 22, 2015, 12:09:18 PM
It's funny, and sad, how the Cubs' 2015 seasons ended on the same day, and in the same way. Only in the real world, instead of sweeping the Miami Gators in the World Series, they got swept by the Mets in the NLCS.

Except in 1985, before the neverending expansion of the playoffs, the World Series ending in October was possible.

Do we really need baseball in November?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 22, 2015, 12:13:26 PM

Except in 1985, before the neverending expansion of the playoffs, the World Series ending in October was possible.

We can start by not giving so many off days to these teams in the fall classic.  These players play about every 2 weeks on average for 6 months between days off, yet they get to the post season and suddenly a 7 game series takes 12 nights to play.

spooky

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 22, 2015, 12:17:40 PM

We can start by not giving so many off days to these teams in the fall classic.  These players play about every 2 weeks on average for 6 months between days off, yet they get to the post season and suddenly a 7 game series takes 12 nights to play.

There are two off days in the World Series, one in between the 2nd and 3rd games and one in between the 5th and 6th games. This is exactly the same as it was in 1985.

english si

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 22, 2015, 09:48:03 AMDamnit. Now it's time to change Back to the Future II to show what actually happened.
Why? They changed the timeline.

While the Doc takes Marty to 2015 to stop the rot there, the film makes it clear that the rot had already happened long ago. The end of the third film shows that that future had been changed and (after that) deals with the incident that makes it a dystopia for Marty and his family by changing it from what had happened in the obsolete timeline.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: spooky on October 22, 2015, 12:47:48 PM

There are two off days in the World Series, one in between the 2nd and 3rd games and one in between the 5th and 6th games. This is exactly the same as it was in 1985.

So it is.  (I looked back at several years' worth of dates).  It just seems longer!!

Pete from Boston

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 22, 2015, 01:56:43 PM
Quote from: spooky on October 22, 2015, 12:47:48 PM

So it is.  (I looked back at several years' worth of dates).  It just seems longer!!

It's not the NHL, where last year's Stanley Cup finals had six games played over thirteen days!

1995hoo

The NHL tries to avoid back-to-back game nights during the playoffs, and then you have issues with juggling the schedule based on when weekends are and so on. You also have more travel days than you do in baseball due to the format, but even if the NHL used the 2—3—2 format, the "3" portion could not be on consecutive nights because the CBA prohibits teams from playing on three consecutive days.

MLB could work the schedule so the postseason ended in October, but the two best ways to do that would be either shortening the season (most likely back to 154 games) or scheduling doubleheaders. The owners dislike both options and the players dislike the second option. Reducing days off during the regular season isn't a viable option because the CBA mandates a minimum frequency of days off, and I believe that applies even in the event of postponed games. There was an issue a few years ago where a team, I think it was the Marlins but I may be wrong, had to play a doubleheader one day despite having the next day off, and the reason was that had they played the rescheduled game on the off day, they would have had to play too many days in a row.

Edited to add–I found it on Wikipedia: "On August 22, 2012, the Miami Marlins played a day-night doubleheader at the Arizona Diamondbacks due to a scheduling error violating another section of the CBA, which prohibits 23 consecutive games without a day off." It turns out it wasn't a rescheduled game–MLB just messed up when they prepared the schedule and the Diamondbacks weren't given an off day when required, so to fix it, they scheduled the doubleheader.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Stephane Dumas

The staff of the Cauldron on Youtube edited the Back to the Future video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YfP2_7tZqk

Henry

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on October 26, 2015, 07:43:10 AM
The staff of the Cauldron on Youtube edited the Back to the Future video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YfP2_7tZqk
Amazin' Mets, my ass! I hope the Royals beat up on them. And do we really need baseball in November?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Henry on October 26, 2015, 12:47:10 PM
And do we really need baseball in November?

About as much as we need football in February. ;)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

US 41

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 26, 2015, 03:08:57 PM

It gets worse, we have basketball (NBA) in June.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

DaBigE

At least, IMHO, football is more exciting with a one-and-done post-season setup. Baseball, and as US 41 points out, NBA basketball is more drawn-out with the best-of __ championship series. It's one of the of the other big reasons why I prefer NCAA basketball to the NBA.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Henry

Quote from: US 41 on October 26, 2015, 05:17:18 PM

It gets worse, we have basketball (NBA) in June.
Don't forget the NHL, whose Stanley Cup is also awarded in June.

Quote from: DaBigE on October 26, 2015, 05:37:56 PM
At least, IMHO, football is more exciting with a one-and-done post-season setup. Baseball, NHL hockey, and as US 41 points out, NBA basketball is more drawn-out with the best-of __ championship series. It's one of the of the other big reasons why I prefer NCAA basketball to the NBA.
Modified, for the reason listed above.

Thing 342

IMO, the baseball playoffs are tolerable because games can be played back-to-back-to-back, resulting in the playoffs taking usually just less than a month. I dislike the NBA and NHL playoffs because they last over two full months and seem to drag on forever, with seven -game series that take two weeks to play finish.

Nexus 6

tchafe1978

The reason they all drag out now is TV. If it wasn't for having to have every game on national TV, the NBA, NHL, and MLB playoffs could all be played in half the time. And they used to be. The NBA and NHL, and MLB could easily play games in the same city back-to-back, with one day for travel between cities. But they have to have that almighty TV dollar.

corco

QuoteMLB could easily play games in the same city back-to-back, with one day for travel between cities

You realize that's what they do now, right

tchafe1978

Quote from: corco on October 28, 2015, 12:27:04 PM
QuoteMLB could easily play games in the same city back-to-back, with one day for travel between cities

You realize that's what they do now, right

Yeah, I had a brain fart, sorry.

triplemultiplex

I always wondered why the NBA and NHL do playoff series when that's not how they do the regular season.  There are no regular season series where the same two teams play for a couple days in a row.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Henry

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 28, 2015, 06:19:17 PM
I always wondered why the NBA and NHL do playoff series when that's not how they do the regular season.  There are no regular season series where the same two teams play for a couple days in a row.
Maybe not, but they do play a home-and-home series where the same two teams play consecutive games that alternate between venues (i.e. the first game is played in one team's building, and the second game in the other team's building). While rare, it definitely happens in the regular season.

texaskdog

I wonder if this one is Bartman's fault too?  Or was it the goat's fault?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.