News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

The Deegan predates the Interstate system and so the gas station was likely grandfathered in.

As for why they aren't combined, my guess would be Section 4(f) impacts on the park.  Because of the upgrade on the off-ramp and the narrow right-of-way, you wouldn't be able to get a proper (i.e. within standards) combination without impacting the park.  FHWA (and most other state and Federal agencies) doesn't look too kindly on taking away parkland for road projects.

Alps

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 18, 2017, 11:30:32 PM
Hey, new idea (or maybe not so new);

Why won't the New York City DOT and Parks Department combine Exit 13 on the Major Deegan Expressway with the entrance to the northbound gas station?

Probably because they never thought of it, and they don't have a compelling reason to spend money to do it now.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: compdude787 on March 19, 2017, 02:07:09 AM
I'm surprised there even is a gas station on a free Interstate highway.
I'm surprised people buy gas there to begin with.  Its always a dollar/dollar-fifty more than the city average.  Same thing goes with the one on the Hutch

empirestate

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 19, 2017, 08:49:53 PM
I'm surprised people buy gas there to begin with.  Its always a dollar/dollar-fifty more than the city average.  Same thing goes with the one on the Hutch

Actually, when I lived there (2011-15) it tended to be competitive with, at least, the surrounding neighborhood.

froggie

A quick check of GasBuddy this morning shows it to be $0.14/gal more expensive than a BP station a few blocks down 233rd St, at least for Regular (87 octane).  Premium is FAR more expensive.

empirestate

Quote from: froggie on March 20, 2017, 08:02:26 AM
A quick check of GasBuddy this morning shows it to be $0.14/gal more expensive than a BP station a few blocks down 233rd St, at least for Regular (87 octane).  Premium is FAR more expensive.

Well, you'd have to check GasBuddy between 2011-2015. I haven't looked into it recently since I'd don't live down there anymore.

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on March 20, 2017, 12:11:03 PM

Well, you'd have to check GasBuddy between 2011-2015. I haven't looked into it recently since I'd don't live down there anymore.

Upcharge is reasonable for an on-expressway station. Look at how much more gas stations on the Thruway charge.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

D-Dey65

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 19, 2017, 08:49:53 PM
Well, they buy other items there too, since many of them also have Dunkin' Donuts franchises.

machias

Quote from: cl94 on March 20, 2017, 12:34:37 PM

Upcharge is reasonable for an on-expressway station. Look at how much more gas stations on the Thruway charge.

Is the Thruway still bound to the rule that they can only raise their gas prices once a week? Back in the "Lower Fuel Prices In Effect" days I knew this to be the case but I thought that was outside of then Gov. Pataki trying to keep fuel prices down on the Thruway.

There are times when fuel is cheaper at the Schuyler and Oneida Service Plazas than the nearby stations at Exits 31 and 32.

cl94

Quote from: upstatenyroads on March 20, 2017, 06:42:57 PM

Is the Thruway still bound to the rule that they can only raise their gas prices once a week? Back in the "Lower Fuel Prices In Effect" days I knew this to be the case but I thought that was outside of then Gov. Pataki trying to keep fuel prices down on the Thruway.

There are times when fuel is cheaper at the Schuyler and Oneida Service Plazas than the nearby stations at Exits 31 and 32.

I think they are still bound. Those plazas are generally the exception. The ones near Albany are always a good 10-15+ cents more than those on the surface. Mohawk and Patersonville are typically 2 of the 5 most expensive stations near Albany that aren't in the mountains (only more expensive stations right now are at B3 and one random station in Amsterdam and only by a couple cents). Angola is 50 cents more than gas at 57-58 (but those stations are tax-free). Prices in Massachusetts are 20 cents more in much of the state.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Rothman

In my experience, MA gas prices are cheaper than NY's, not more expensive.

I used to commute every week between Amherst, MA and Albany, NY.  The gas savings in MA could be up to .25 a gallon.

That said, if you are talking about the first station on the Pike, that one is typically more expensive than off-Pike locations.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

Same experience as Rothman.  As a general rule, Massachusetts has the cheapest gas in New England.

hotdogPi

Quote from: froggie on March 21, 2017, 08:21:56 AM
Same experience as Rothman.  As a general rule, Massachusetts has the cheapest gas in New England.

I thought New Hampshire was cheaper by a few cents.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

froggie

Not in my experience.  Your corner of New Hampshire might be cheaper so as to compete, but especially after the legislature raised the gas tax a couple years ago (in no small part to pay for widening I-93), New Hamsphire as a whole has been more expensive.

storm2k

Agreed with this. Same thing in NJ on the Turnpike and Parkway. As an example, currently the price for regular unleaded is 2.289 on the Turnpike. Price for regular unleaded at the Wawa right near Interchange 11 in Woodbridge is 2.149.

In fact, according to gasbuddy, the average price in NJ is 2.279 right now. So while it might be a bit cheaper at a station not far off an exit, it's not totally out of line.

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on March 21, 2017, 09:40:14 AM

Greater Brockton and northern Worcester county are the two lowest priced areas for gas in New England. Some parts of NH compete with that as well.

However, gasbuddy.com has the info, avg. price for NH is $2.181/gallon, MA $2.240/gallon. You can find the cheapest gas in Mass, but places like the Cape, Islands, and Boston are so damn expensive that they skew that average upward hard. Only spots of NH that have ridiculous gas prices are in Coos County, and even so it's small mom and pop places that are very few and far between.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: SectorZ on March 21, 2017, 10:22:56 PM

Greater Brockton and northern Worcester county are the two lowest priced areas for gas in New England. Some parts of NH compete with that as well.

However, gasbuddy.com has the info, avg. price for NH is $2.181/gallon, MA $2.240/gallon. You can find the cheapest gas in Mass, but places like the Cape, Islands, and Boston are so damn expensive that they skew that average upward hard. Only spots of NH that have ridiculous gas prices are in Coos County, and even so it's small mom and pop places that are very few and far between.
I've found the cheapest gas in MA to be along the I-195/US 6 corridor.

Alps

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 21, 2017, 10:45:02 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on March 21, 2017, 10:22:56 PM

I've found the cheapest gas in MA to be along the I-195/US 6 corridor.
Springfield area. But we're getting off topic.

SignBridge

On a different subject, has anyone else here on Long Island, noticed that large sections of lights are not working on the Southern State Pkwy. in Nassau County? Especially along the stretch from the Queens County line to the Meadowbrook Pkwy? I noticed it this evening and a friend tells me it's been that way for like months or years. Supposedly been reported to NYSDOT's Inform hot-line but no repairs have been made. Before any of us start writing letters to NYSDOT, does anyone have any info on what's going on? Like DOT maybe letting a contract for major cable replacement or something?

empirestate

Yeah, that's why I was always surprised this one wasn't more expensive. Sounds like they've since caught on to the idea (although a 14-cent swing in prices really isn't all that extraordinary in the area; prices tend to vary pretty widely in the city).

D-Dey65

Another NY 22 question; How many rest areas exist on that road besides the two north of the Appalachian Trail Metro-North station? And should there be signage for that station?

cl94

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 04, 2017, 11:05:23 PM
Another NY 22 question; How many rest areas exist on that road besides the two north of the Appalachian Trail Metro-North station? And should there be signage for that station?

Rest areas? You mean like parking areas? Not many. There's one in southern Columbia County and a few in the Adirondacks, mostly between Whitehall and Ticonderoga. That being said, the stretch of NY 22 from Amenia to Plattsburgh is one of the most desolate extended stretches of highway in the state. ~235 miles with little more than a gas station or two in some small towns (typically a Stewarts) and 2 McDonald's. For those of you who still need to clinch it, I recommend against trying to do it all at once for that reason.

Roadgeek Adam

I wouldn't use Amenia as the starting point. Austerlitz or New Lebanon are probably better starting points for desolation.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

empirestate

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on April 05, 2017, 12:32:28 AM
I wouldn't use Amenia as the starting point. Austerlitz or New Lebanon are probably better starting points for desolation.

I wouldn't use any part of 22 as a starting point for desolation; it's remote, sure, but I find it a very attractive, appealing drive.

Rothman

Have to agree.  NY 22 is quite scenic.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.