News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Two lane exit from single lane

Started by briantroutman, May 02, 2015, 10:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freebrickproductions

Quote from: vdeane on December 06, 2016, 12:42:47 PM
Plus, in a modern roundabout, vehicles don't necessarily STAY in the same lane.  In a properly striped roundabout, the right lane exits off, and the left becomes the right, with a new one forming on the left, often with traffic exiting from the left as well!  If you didn't yield to all lanes, you'd cause an accident.
https://goo.gl/maps/hSLpBVfwNBr
Is this improperly striped then?
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.7576915,-86.6879507,3a,75y,168.38h,72.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDGhm0lMg2mQ_jBvVO4wC2g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

vdeane

Not sure what they're going for there; half the roundabout is a single lane, but the other half is hard to say since there are no markings in the circle there.  One of those yield lines is definitely in an odd place, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffe

Quote from: briantroutman on May 08, 2015, 03:58:47 PM
There seems to be some misunderstanding as to what I’m talking about, so maybe a simplified diagram would be clearer.

The exit ramp for CA-13 from I-580 in Oakland is a good example, albeit somewhat stretched out, of version #1.  There is no dotted line, but the concrete/asphalt separation serves the same purpose:

roadfro

Quote from: vdeane on December 06, 2016, 12:42:47 PM
Plus, in a modern roundabout, vehicles don't necessarily STAY in the same lane.  In a properly striped roundabout, the right lane exits off, and the left becomes the right, with a new one forming on the left, often with traffic exiting from the left as well!  If you didn't yield to all lanes, you'd cause an accident.
https://goo.gl/maps/hSLpBVfwNBr

A properly striped roundabout doesn't necessarily have the right lane exit off right away though. Depends on the turning geometry desired. For example, for a double left turn northbound, that right lane circles around and exits off at the third exit (westbound).

Entering traffic must yield in part because of these types of cases.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jeffandnicole

So, Brandon and vdeane...I now see your points.  And I almost begrudgingly agree with tradephoric...I can see why these 2 lane roundabouts can have a fairly high accident rate.  If I'm approaching a roundabout, while it's signed to tell me what I need to do to get to any of the outputs, I don't know what those within the roundabout will be doing.  Yeah, I guess that's where turn signals can come into play, but the movements are so short that the signal, even when properly used, will give a very short moment's notice as to the driver's intention. 

kphoger

I realize this might qualify as "NOT THIS #3", but I certainly think it's worthy of honorable mention.  At this location on the north side of Monterrey, it appears that two dropped southbound lanes become seven exit lanes, which are divided into three channelizations.

In the image below, the orange line is the only true through lane.  The two green lines are the two dropped lanes, which split into seven.  Signage visible in GSV indicates that only the right lane is considered to be an actual dropped lane, but the second lane ends immediately after the exit(s).  So I guess, if you want to follow signage, then it truly is a seven-lane exit from a single lane.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.