News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Major League Baseball 2015

Started by Desert Man, August 11, 2015, 08:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desert Man

Less than 2 months from now, the MLB 2015 postseason begins and I'm a baseball fan wondering anyone can predict who is going or where they are headed.

Currently (Aug. 11), American league standings leaders are the KC Royals (Central), NY Yanks (East) and Houston Astros (West); while the National has the St Louis Cardinals (Central) with the best record in MLB, NY Mets (East) and LA Dodgers (West). AL wild card potentials are the Angels (my home team), Blue Jays and Rays try to continue winning games; and in the NL wild card, the Pirates or Cubs unless the San Francisco Giants (current world series champs) can clinch another chance in the end.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

kurumi

To managers of other teams, I would say don't worry about the Giants -- this is not their year. It's a rare situation where it is OK to look ahead to the next series, to rest your best guys, etc.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Henry

It would be interesting to see that million-to-one shot pay off in October!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

triplemultiplex

I want to see the Royals go all the way.  They are my proxy team because they are stuffed with ex-Brewers we traded to make our run in 2011.  It was foolish of Milwaukee to fire Ned Yost down the stretch in '08 too.  He should've been there when we broke that playoff drought, because he helped bring us there.  I want to see him succeed.

The National League; just somebody please beat St. Louis for me and I'll be happy.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Stephane Dumas

Could 2015 be the year of the Cubs? There a museum who'll give away a DeLorean if the Cubs win the World Series.
http://www.usatoday.com/videos/sports/mlb/cubs/2015/03/03/24315661/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADXs2C4Vmho

empirestate

Heck, right now in NL Central, even the third-place Cubs and second-place Bucs, both erstwhile underdogs, have a better record than any other division leader save Kansas City.

And have we noticed, Buc=Cub spelled backwards? Because that's significant, right? Gotta be significant.

iPhone

corco

Desert Man

Quote from: corco on August 12, 2015, 09:41:15 PM
BEARS

JAPANESE BEARS

Speaking of Japanese professional baseball, the Buffaloes team have a companion mascot, Buffalo Bell who can be seen with Buffalo Bob in home games. She should go on a North American tour in our majors and minors, then Buffalo Bob won't have someone to cheer on the team with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwEFrgzjkwk
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

jp the roadgeek

Since my Red Sox are out of it, I'll be rooting for ABY: Anyone but the Yankees.  I'd love to see a "Something's Gotta Give" Astros vs. Cubs World Series
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Henry

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 15, 2015, 01:21:09 PM
Since my Red Sox are out of it, I'll be rooting for ABY: Anyone but the Yankees.  I'd love to see a "Something's Gotta Give" Astros vs. Cubs World Series
If that were to happen, it would be exactly ten years after the Astros faced that other Chicago team, and lost in a sweep. Too bad that neither the Marlins nor the Rays will be in it.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Thing 342

So the postseason's started, eh? I'm hitching my fandom boat to the Astros this postseason as I think they might be this year's 2014 Royals.

My incredibly unlikely postseason predictions:
NLWC: Pirates over Cubs
ALWC: Astros over Yankees

NLDS: Cards over Pirates, 3-1.
NLDS: Dodgers over Mets, 3-2.

ALDS: Astros over Royals, 3-2.
ALDS: Jays over Rangers, 3-0.

NLCS: Cards over Dodgers, 4-2.
ALCS: Jays over Astros, 4-3.

WS: Jays over Cards, 4-3.

CNGL-Leudimin

No, Cubs has to win the World series this year :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

DaBigE

"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Henry

empirestate

Quote from: DaBigE on October 07, 2015, 10:19:50 AM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 07, 2015, 10:01:16 AM
:no:

Go Pirates! :bigass:

Let's put it this way: if the Cubs are gonna boot the Pirates after one game again, they damn well better go all the way!

iPhone

ET21

Quote from: empirestate on October 07, 2015, 12:26:15 PM

Quote from: DaBigE on October 07, 2015, 10:19:50 AM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 07, 2015, 10:01:16 AM
:no:

Go Pirates! :bigass:

Let's put it this way: if the Cubs are gonna boot the Pirates after one game again, they damn well better go all the way!

iPhone

Even if they do, Cubs are not beating STL in a 5 game series
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

OCGuy81

While I'm still a bit mad that my team (Angels) worked hard to lose when it counted the most, I'll pull for the Cubs.

Would be cool to see the curse broken.

Interesting story, that there's a Go Fund Me account to bring Bartman to tonight's game in Pittsburgh.

While I'm still a bit mad that my team (Angels) worked hard to lose when it counted the most, I'll pull for the Cubs.

Would be cool to see the curse broken.

Interesting story, that there's a Go Fund Me account to bring Bartman to tonight's game in Pittsburgh.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/10/chicago-cubs-steve-bartman-wild-card-game-pittsburgh-mlb

triplemultiplex

Yanks and Pirates are out.  Both put up goose eggs.
I'm stuck rooting for an LA team or a NY team in the National League since the other participants are hated foes who can get bent.
Lots of fresh blood in the AL; most of those teams only recently broke long playoff droughts.  As a fan of parity, that makes me happy.
Come World Series time, it seems likely I'll be backing an AL team.

Henry

I'm so happy that my Cubs are moving on to the NLDS! Now I'm hoping that they can upset the hated Cardinals, then whoever wins the other NLDS series in the NLCS and the AL opponent in the World Series.

triplemultiplex

KC vs. Toronto in the ALCS; two teams packed with ex-Brewers.

Traded all those prospects to make a run in 2011 and fell short courtesy of the St. Louis Yankees.  And now look.  Back to the basement for another decade (probably) while other teams are taking our talent to the World Series.
Damn you, sports!

Good thing there's football.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ET21 on October 07, 2015, 02:25:33 PM
Even if they do, Cubs are not beating STL in a 5 game series

I didn't think so either, but it turns out they've done both these things.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Henry

So now the Mets-Dodgers NLDS still has to be decided tonight, with the winner hosting the Cubs. Because I used to live in L.A., I'll pull for the Dodgers.

kurumi

It's an odd numbered year; we don't even root against the Dodgers anymore. It would be nice to see the Cubs win one, or the Blue Jays. But whoever does, that's cool. except the Mets
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

triplemultiplex

Cubs vs. Mets in the NLCS.  I guess hell hath frozen over.
I kid, but I would not have guessed this matchup at the start of the season.

Pete from Boston

The last time the Mets and the Cubs were this at odds was in 1984, when New York Top-40 station WPLJ appropriated the theme song of the new movie Ghostbusters and created the "Cub-busters" movement. 

Unfortunately for the Mets, the new Ghostbusters movie is still a little ways off. 

At this point only the Cubs could keep the Mets from being a sentimental favorite.  Good for them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.